Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Phoenix Trinity Honcho vs Limcat/Atlas open guns

avastcosmicarena

The IPSC gun's barrel just has a shorter sight block. It might also have a smaller magwell (can't remember). It's just slightly dimensionally smaller to fit into the IPSC box. I wouldn't bother unless you plan on shooting IPSC.

I would consider getting the single port comp barrel if you plan to shoot 3 gun though. This would allow you to use light load minor rounds and still make use of the comp for a flatter shooting experience. They say that the 3 port barrel needs about 150-155 power factor to cycle properly. While you can probably find some factory ammo to use with it, with the single port barrel, you could have a lighter overall setup and run ammo down at the bottom of the minor power factor range, like around 125-130. It might even cycle below that, like maybe 110-115, which could be cool if you want to use it for steel challenge.

Personally, I think the Honcho is a better value than the Atlas or others. You get more for your money, and you are less limited. You could get both a slide ride mounting plate and have the frame drilled and tapped for a frame mounted optic and choose what you want to use for different things.

If you get a good race holster, I think the single port 9mm barrel with a frame mounted optic is a pretty ideal setup for 3 gun & minor ammo, but I still like having the ability to change things up and run a slide mounted optic with a more normal holster if I want to.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

The IPSC gun's barrel just has a shorter sight block. It might also have a smaller magwell (can't remember). It's just slightly dimensionally smaller to fit into the IPSC box. I wouldn't bother unless you plan on shooting IPSC.

I would consider getting the single port comp barrel if you plan to shoot 3 gun though. This would allow you to use light load minor rounds and still make use of the comp for a flatter shooting experience. They say that the 3 port barrel needs about 150-155 power factor to cycle properly. While you can probably find some factory ammo to use with it, with the single port barrel, you could have a lighter overall setup and run ammo down at the bottom of the minor power factor range, like around 125-130. It might even cycle below that, like maybe 110-115, which could be cool if you want to use it for steel challenge.

Personally, I think the Honcho is a better value than the Atlas or others. You get more for your money, and you are less limited. You could get both a slide ride mounting plate and have the frame drilled and tapped for a frame mounted optic and choose what you want to use for different things.

If you get a good race holster, I think the single port 9mm barrel with a frame mounted optic is a pretty ideal setup for 3 gun & minor ammo, but I still like having the ability to change things up and run a slide mounted optic with a more normal holster if I want to.

Thank you for all this Info.  Everyone on here is so helpful in making this decision for me. 

As far as holsters go, do you know if a regular 2011 holster will fit or will I have to order one specifically for the gun.  I have a Webster holster I use for my CK arms 2011 but I’ll be trying to sell that gun to fund the honcho.  

I read that the honcho takes MBX mags which I have some for my .40 but I also read it’ll take Gen 2 STI mags. Do you know if there’s any truth to this ? 

As far as ammo, I’m pretty lazy and don’t reload. I know it’ll save me a ton of money but I just don’t really have the time with work, school and family.   I talked to PT and they said precision deltas .40 works great which is what I’ve been using. But does anyone know if it’ll eat any type of 9mm?   Thank you all for answering my many questions. 

1 hour ago, Zack15 said:

As far as ammo, I’m pretty lazy and don’t reload. I know it’ll save me a ton of money but I just don’t really have the time with work, school and family.   I talked to PT and they said precision deltas .40 works great which is what I’ve been using. But does anyone know if it’ll eat any type of 9mm?

When I fist started in this sport, I really wanted and Open gun, but didn't want to reload; fast forward eight years and I wonder why I didn't start earlier.

It's not as much about saving money as it is unleashing the potential of this awesome machine you have.

Putting factory ammo in a $6,000 race gun is like putting pump gas in a dragster: sure you can tweak it to function and get down the track, but you'll never know what it can do until you feed it the best fuel.

Thank you for all this Info.  Everyone on here is so helpful in making this decision for me. 

As far as holsters go, do you know if a regular 2011 holster will fit or will I have to order one specifically for the gun.  I have a Webster holster I use for my CK arms 2011 but I’ll be trying to sell that gun to fund the honcho.  

I read that the honcho takes MBX mags which I have some for my .40 but I also read it’ll take Gen 2 STI mags. Do you know if there’s any truth to this ? 

As far as ammo, I’m pretty lazy and don’t reload. I know it’ll save me a ton of money but I just don’t really have the time with work, school and family.   I talked to PT and they said precision deltas .40 works great which is what I’ve been using. But does anyone know if it’ll eat any type of 9mm?   Thank you all for answering my many questions. 

I’ve run blue Bullets for 9minor and 40, precision delta and Everglades for 9major. Both mbx and gen2 STI mags in both 9mm and 40. Neither of my honchos seem to care. They just eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I fist started in this sport, I really wanted and Open gun, but didn't want to reload; fast forward eight years and I wonder why I didn't start earlier.

It's not as much about saving money as it is unleashing the potential of this awesome machine you have.

Putting factory ammo in a $6,000 race gun is like putting pump gas in a dragster: sure you can tweak it to function and get down the track, but you'll never know what it can do until you feed it the best fuel.

I felt the same way. I had shot a lot of 3 gun and a lot of USPSA in limited division and PCC. And I wanted to be competing in the most competitive division. The fastest, no limits on much. But as far as open I think it would have given me a lot of skills that would have helped me in limited. But there is value in cross training for sure.

Zack can you pm me and let me know where you’re located in the nc area? I’ll see if we can find someone you can link up with to get your hands on one. Most the guys on the team are in the Atlanta fort benning area.

2 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

I know you’re absolutely right and I know down there road I’ll get into reloading again. I use to do it before I joined the army but since then I’ve just bought my ammo.  I’ve started collecting my brass for the day I’ll start reloading again and I’ve started looking at some Dillon reloaders.  But until then I was hoping to just shoot factory 9mm and precision delta .40. 

2 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

I’ve run blue Bullets for 9minor and 40, precision delta and Everglades for 9major. Both mbx and gen2 STI mags in both 9mm and 40. Neither of my honchos seem to care. They just eat.

That’s great to know, thanks !

1 minute ago, 2Alphamikenoshoot said:

I felt the same way. I had shot a lot of 3 gun and a lot of USPSA in limited division and PCC. And I wanted to be competing in the most competitive division. The fastest, no limits on much. But as far as open I think it would have given me a lot of skills that would have helped me in limited. But there is value in cross training for sure.

Zack can you pm me and let me know where you’re located in the nc area? I’ll see if we can find someone you can link up with to get your hands on one. Most the guys on the team are in the Atlanta fort benning area.

PM coming your way.   Thank you again for all the info. 

4 hours ago, vault13 said:

If you decide to buy a Honcho, waiting for the next sale might be a good way to get a free barrel or two.

I agree, and any chance you know when the next sale might be ? 

20 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Also, do you have a preference or recommendation on an optic. I like the looks of the SRO, but the DPP is also appealing.  I wouldn’t be getting into open anytime soon, so it would be on the slide.  . 

3 minutes ago, vault13 said:

Not specifically, but they’ve had a nice trend of sales this year, Shot show, St Patrick’s Day, April Stimulus check, Memorial Day...

Hopefully they’ll have a 4th or July sale. Because I’m really wanting to get one. 

4 hours ago, Zack15 said:

Also, do you have a preference or recommendation on an optic. I like the looks of the SRO, but the DPP is also appealing.  I wouldn’t be getting into open anytime soon, so it would be on the slide.  . 

Trijicon SRO, Sig Romeo 3 Max, or Sig Romeo 3 XL.

5 hours ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Trijicon SRO, Sig Romeo 3 Max, or Sig Romeo 3 XL.

Thanks.  I’ve been looking at the SRO but heard the sigs are really nice as well.  I’ll have to look them up more.   Thank you for all your input. 

Thanks.  I’ve been looking at the SRO but heard the sigs are really nice as well.  I’ll have to look them up more.   Thank you for all your input. 

I use the sig XL’s on both of mine. No complaints so far. Great glass with a bright dot. And doesn’t have the double dot reflection that can happen with SRO. Have a buddy that had zero shift on a sig max on a carry optics gun but haven’t heard of it on a non reciprocal gun yet.

30 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

I use the sig XL’s on both of mine. No complaints so far. Great glass with a bright dot. And doesn’t have the double dot reflection that can happen with SRO. Have a buddy that had zero shift on a sig max on a carry optics gun but haven’t heard of it on a non reciprocal gun yet.

If you follow Pop's Quest on YouTube he's had a lot of issues with his XL on his Open gun as well as his Carry Optics one

Edited by cjmill87

On 5/31/2019 at 10:38 AM, Ssanders224 said:

You shouldn't have any concerns of how the Honcho "feels" or shoots. It it one of the softest shooting, least violent Open guns I've ever shot. Ditto in Limited config. There was a TON of time and testing (from several shooters) put into making the Honcho shoot great. If it needed or would have benefited from some of the attributes you listed, they most likely would have been included. My wife has several Open guns, some with holes, some with hybrid barrels, etc, she much prefers the way her Honcho shoots. 

The current included optic mount will also allow you to use the Vortex, a Cmore RTS2, or a DPP. I use an RTS, my wife runs a DPP.   IF you wanted to change to a Holosun, you could swap the mount for any standard pattern optic mount. 

Bottom line is, you really aren't giving up ANYTHING with the Honcho, shoot-ability, function, options, or otherwise.... you are just gaining a ton of versatility and value. 

I know someone that has a Honcho and another custom gun, Carne Customs.  I saw him shoot both platforms, he claims that the Carne shoots flatter due to poppa holes on the barrel and slide.  Not sure if that's purely based on bias or "feel" but judging by several videos that I've seen it seems that the Honcho is a flatter shooting platform. But at the end of the day I guess it all boils down to personal preference.  I don't doubt that a lot of research, engineering, testing etc went on to build the Honcho, it does offers more greater flexibility than all othat platforms on the market.  It's like having multiple platforms in one, and that's very appealing to many.  However, many competitive shooters prefer to just have one platform instead of many combined.  

Makes life easier too~  But the Honcho is by far the most intriguin platform out there at this present moment, at least in my opinion... It all boils down to budget, taste, personal preference, and also, needs and want...  Many of us don't have a need, but just a "want" :) 

Would you still recommend this if I was going to run it on the slide and not as a frame mounted optic ?

Can’t say. I have a Romeo max on a CO gun but rarely shoot it so don’t have enough rounds to say If it will hold or not. On my buddies 320 with romeo max the windage screw is turning as the gun cycles. So I suspect something is wrong with his specific optic. But it’s been sent in to sig and they haven’t advised him yet.

Easy enough to mark the screw and you will know if it is moving or not. They are expensive enough optics they shouldn’t have this problem though...

I know someone that has a Honcho and another custom gun, Carne Customs.  I saw him shoot both platforms, he claims that the Carne shoots flatter due to poppa holes on the barrel and slide.  Not sure if that's purely based on bias or "feel" but judging by several videos that I've seen it seems that the Honcho is a flatter shooting platform. But at the end of the day I guess it all boils down to personal preference.  I don't doubt that a lot of research, engineering, testing etc went on to build the Honcho, it does offers more greater flexibility than all othat platforms on the market.  It's like having multiple platforms in one, and that's very appealing to many.  However, many competitive shooters prefer to just have one platform instead of many combined.  

Makes life easier too~  But the Honcho is by far the most intriguin platform out there at this present moment, at least in my opinion... It all boils down to budget, taste, personal preference, and also, needs and want...  Many of us don't have a need, but just a "want" [emoji4] 

Naw man. I need a honcho [emoji38]
I love my new gun. I need a newer gun.

9 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

Can’t say. I have a Romeo max on a CO gun but rarely shoot it so don’t have enough rounds to say If it will hold or not. On my buddies 320 with romeo max the windage screw is turning as the gun cycles. So I suspect something is wrong with his specific optic. But it’s been sent in to sig and they haven’t advised him yet.

Easy enough to mark the screw and you will know if it is moving or not. They are expensive enough optics they shouldn’t have this problem though...

I’m looking at picking up one for my X5 but don’t if I’d use that for carry optics.  But I also want to get a honcho and will run an optic on the slide.  Mostly for just a range gun but use the honcho for 3gun and limited major. 

I agree, for the price, there shouldn’t be that problem though.