Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Phoenix Trinity Honcho vs Limcat/Atlas open guns

avastcosmicarena

I’m really excited to get my Honcho in the open configuration 9 major. Looking forward to the extra aggressive grip. Has anyone felt one of these yet compared to the regular PT Evo? 
I’ve shot Atlas guns for years now and hope this is better. I hope to be selling my Chaos soon when the Honcho gets here. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can somebody tell me how the slide to frame fittings are
A friend off me is shooting a new DVC-O and the frame to slide fitting are top/great can I assume they are the same or are these less with the Honcho
Another question is : what caliber is  Chris Keen shooting the pistol seems really soft in his hands and is 9mm major also so soft shooting with the Honcho
Also is it possible to make pop holes in the barrel or is it not needed

Chris in the past shot 38sc and is now shooting 9major.

And not to belittle any company but sti just isn’t close to the same Tolerances or quality as PT.

Popple holes no. Not needed. Oddly enough my atlas chaos made power factor easily with Ammo I used in my honcho and chronod. It made 164 -165 pf. Contrary to popular belief i had to bump my Charges up to make Power factor on my honcho.
It shoots really flat. And the comp is so effective. No need for popple holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't worried about it breaking, but was just thinking about the recoil/return to zero characteristics of it. I know other companies are using aluminum grips in their minor guns nowadays (like Atlas' Hyperion, Athena, Erebus, etc.), and they seem to have got the balance down with them... but they also might be making more profit on the aluminum grips. Idk.

I'm starting to lean towards just getting the steel grip and adding a 9mm major comp'd barrel though... might as well have the option for the cost.

I'm not interested in .40 cal or limited myself. I'd sooner try 38SC before .40, I think. haha.

and, yeah.... those damn MBX mags are super expensive.

I like having the options. Sometimes matches come up that I’d like to be able to shoot. In the past I was I was unable. Now I can shoot anything. For example I’ll be shooting ft benning 3gun this weekend and now I can with my honcho.
As far as steel I think you made the right choice. I personally don’t like light guns. The weight in my opinion helps facilitate recoil control.
Also I have had the ability to shoot some
38sc through it and all I had to do was throw in the barrel and go. Usually I shoot just 9major and it shoots great.
If you end up getting one I’d suggest getting mbx if you can. They’re expensive. But worth every penny. I haven’t had to tune mine once. Never had an issue and have been using them for a season. They’re much thicker metal and more robust than the sti’s that get a bit torqued out of spec if you drop em.
I’m interested to know if aluminum vs steel has actually been measured on a timer to see if splits or transitions were any different?

I have some more questions about the Honcho please

If I order the Honcho race ready model are there magazines included if I look at the movie it looks like that they are included in the case

If I order at the Honcho race shop I can order the Honcho and build it like I want but are there also magazines included

Can I use a Aftec extractor in the Honcho

Is the gun compleet stainless or not (slide and frame ? )

I do not understand the two colours thing..... compleet Dlc  I understand but I see many pictures and movies the Honcho's uncoated are they not coated (just stainless)

If I want it nitrited or so is that posible or must I order it uncoated ( uncoated stainless) and do it myself

Hope some one can help me....

6 hours ago, smoker 01 said:

I have some more questions about the Honcho please

If I order the Honcho race ready model are there magazines included if I look at the movie it looks like that they are included in the case

If I order at the Honcho race shop I can order the Honcho and build it like I want but are there also magazines included

Can I use a Aftec extractor in the Honcho

Is the gun compleet stainless or not (slide and frame ? )

I do not understand the two colours thing..... compleet Dlc  I understand but I see many pictures and movies the Honcho's uncoated are they not coated (just stainless)

If I want it nitrited or so is that posible or must I order it uncoated ( uncoated stainless) and do it myself

Hope some one can help me....

Give us a call or shoot us an email and we will answer all of your questions. Info@ptrinity.com 352-667-4932

• 1 month later...

What I would like to see is for someone like STI to offer a base 2011 that comes with a Staccato C2 "upper" as well as a Staccato P or Staccato XC "upper".  Yep, it wouldn't be cheap, but would be awesome to go from a carry option to a match option by just swapping the barrel/slide.  For 2011, STI has harmonized all their 2011 frames with the same Staccato Gen 2 Grips and magazines (although they still appear to offer different dust cover lengths), so they are halfway there already.  The trigger weight may be a sticking point as well...maybe a 3lb threads the needle.  But an interesting thought.

Edited by Exlonghorn

On 11/17/2019 at 6:51 PM, avastcosmicarena said:

Anyone have any thoughts on the single sided safety vs the ambi safety? Does the ambi safety sit high enough on the right side that it doesn't get in the way of/dig into your hand with a high grip?

My exact problem, so ordered mine with the weak side shaved down to 1/8” wide....

I’m still waiting on my Honcho. 10 weeks was just before Christmas and Tiffany said she was waiting for it to come back from coating. I hope I get the call it’s back here in the next week or so🤞 I’ll post pics and plan on doing a full review when I get it! 

• 5 months later...

It seems like the general consensus is that the honcho is a better option than the atlas Athena.  I’m torn between the two and I’m leaning more towards the honcho. Can anyone tell me why an atlas would be a better choice.   I believe I spoke with Tiffany this afternoon when I called PT and she couldn’t of been any nicer, so PT definitely has great CS. 

2 hours ago, Zack15 said:

It seems like the general consensus is that the honcho is a better option than the atlas Athena.  I’m torn between the two and I’m leaning more towards the honcho. Can anyone tell me why an atlas would be a better choice.   I believe I spoke with Tiffany this afternoon when I called PT and she couldn’t of been any nicer, so PT definitely has great CS. 

I own the honcho and some other 2011s not an Athena. My buddy has the Erebus. In my opinion the Athena is a gun without a lot of uses. In 3gun open why not run a comp? People say you don't need a comp, those people usually don't own both type of guns. In uspsa I'm not sure what the point is. So vs. The Erebus the honcho is a great value, the design is a cool idea but execution is not as refined. I have had pleasant service from both companies. 

8 minutes ago, inertia said:

I own the honcho and some other 2011s not an Athena. My buddy has the Erebus. In my opinion the Athena is a gun without a lot of uses. In 3gun open why not run a comp? People say you don't need a comp, those people usually don't own both type of guns. In uspsa I'm not sure what the point is. So vs. The Erebus the honcho is a great value, the design is a cool idea but execution is not as refined. I have had pleasant service from both companies. 

I appreciate the Info.  If you were to pick between the Erebus or the honcho, which would you pick ?  I just don’t want to buy one and regret not getting the other.  Because it’ll be a long long time until my wife lets me get another 2011. 

Its a money choice but not the price difference between the pistols, its the price difference between multiple pistols if you dont already have them. For 9 minor open the Erebus is overall a nicer built gun, but its more expensive and you need a second whole gun to shoot iron sight divisions. You know your situation if you shoot more than open minor 3 gun the honcho has a lot of flexibility going for it. For example after some testing I have settled on running the single port 9mm comp barrel (I also have 3 port 9mm but only shoot minor) but I have decided to run the dot on the frame mount not on the slide. My honcho is setup to do both but in testing I was a bit faster with non reciprocating dot. Not an experiment you can do easy with other guns.

I appreciate the Info.  If you were to pick between the Erebus or the honcho, which would you pick ?  I just don’t want to buy one and regret not getting the other.  Because it’ll be a long long time until my wife lets me get another 2011. 

Hey zack, where are you located? I’m a PT team shooter. We can get ya set up to test one.
If you’re in this area hit me up. You can always run one of mine during a match.
I don’t really shoot too much 3gun anymore. And have both mine set up for open for USPSA.

8 minutes ago, inertia said:

Its a money choice but not the price difference between the pistols, its the price difference between multiple pistols if you dont already have them. For 9 minor open the Erebus is overall a nicer built gun, but its more expensive and you need a second whole gun to shoot iron sight divisions. You know your situation if you shoot more than open minor 3 gun the honcho has a lot of flexibility going for it. For example after some testing I have settled on running the single port 9mm comp barrel (I also have 3 port 9mm but only shoot minor) but I have decided to run the dot on the frame mount not on the slide. My honcho is setup to do both but in testing I was a bit faster with non reciprocating dot. Not an experiment you can do easy with other guns.

Again, I really appreciate the Info.  I’m looking for something to run for 3gun as well as limited major.  So I like the idea of the 9mm/40 cal.  I also like the idea of having something I could dabble in open with.   It seems like the honcho is checking those blocks more. 

5 minutes ago, 2Alphamikenoshoot said:

Hey zack, where are you located? I’m a PT team shooter. We can get ya set up to test one.
If you’re in this area hit me up. You can always run one of mine during a match.
I don’t really shoot too much 3gun anymore. And have both mine set up for open for USPSA.

I live in North Carolina, in the Fayetteville area.   I would love to actually get my hands on one before pulling the trigger on buying one.  I haven’t shot open yet, but I enjoy shooting 40 in limited major.   Would the honcho be a good choice to fill the gap or a limited major as well as 3gun? 

I live in North Carolina, in the Fayetteville area.   I would love to actually get my hands on one before pulling the trigger on buying one.  I haven’t shot open yet, but I enjoy shooting 40 in limited major.   Would the honcho be a good choice to fill the gap or a limited major as well as 3gun? 

I primarily shoot open USPSA but got the honcho with 40 barrel to be able to shoot limited also. Couple minutes to swap it out from one to the other. And dot returned back to zero each time I’ve changed it over. Hard to beat it you need a gun versatile enough for different games.

I’ll admit I’ve only shot it in 9mm with the sight block for 3gun. The limited minor set up is badass. Shoots awesome. But I shoot mostly open.

2 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

I primarily shoot open USPSA but got the honcho with 40 barrel to be able to shoot limited also. Couple minutes to swap it out from one to the other. And dot returned back to zero each time I’ve changed it over. Hard to beat it you need a gun versatile enough for different games.

I agree, I just need to make a call into PT and get one on order.  Would you recommend the race shop or just go with the honcho 3 gun? 

3 minutes ago, 2Alphamikenoshoot said:

I’ll admit I’ve only shot it in 9mm with the sight block for 3gun. The limited minor set up is badass. Shoots awesome. But I shoot mostly open.

Do you use the comp barrel for anything besides open? 

Do you use the comp barrel for anything besides open? 

I only have the 3port open in 9maj and 38sc.

But, I was thinking about running the single port comp and minor Ammo through it without changing anything else, for steel challenge and things like that.
Or just run winchester white box through my open gun. Cause it actually runs it [emoji23] hardly even recoils at all.

4 minutes ago, 2Alphamikenoshoot said:

I only have the 3port open in 9maj and 38sc.

But, I was thinking about running the single port comp and minor Ammo through it without changing anything else, for steel challenge and things like that.
Or just run winchester white box through my open gun. Cause it actually runs it emoji23.png hardly even recoils at all.

That’s pretty impressive that it runs WWB with no issues !  
Id like to say this is my last question, but it probably won’t be. But is there any reason to look into the IPSC barrels If I only really plan to use the honcho for 3 gun, limited major and just an awesome range gun?