Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AMG Labs timers

Nathanb

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Yes, but not scientific.  A couple of weeks ago a GM PCC shooter ran the course and the timing RO swore he did not pick up the last shot.  He did, but could not believe a time of 10.0 seconds.  He required a reshoot.  We whipped out an AMG and found we could pick up all the shots from 20 yards away.  BTW, he reshot the course in 9.8 seconds.

At yesterday's match I was running a PCC shooter on a course where I could not be in the best position to pick up all the shots.  The CED7000 timer provided only caught 10 of 20 shots.  I got my AMG and ran him again.  It picked up every mouse fart shot.  Sensitivity was set on 5 out of 10.

But doesn’t that mean it will pick up all other shots around you much too easily? I get that it must have awesome hearing but a production gun in the next bay can be louder than some PCC’s.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But doesn’t that mean it will pick up all other shots around you much too easily? I get that it must have awesome hearing but a production gun in the next bay can be louder than some PCC’s.

I was worried about that too.

Outdoors, I haven’t had that problem at all. Setting 5 or 6 have worked great.

Indoors, I haven’t tried that yet.

12 hours ago, jrdoran said:

Just attended my first SCSA match with the AMG timers and bluetooth integration; worked great.   

@euxx  question, in practiscore competitor, I thought I might be able to graph the splits of shot in each string competitor vs competitor    ( iOS  phone ) 

I'm aware of stage  graphs of competitor vs competitor,  but I think there is string graphs somewhere including each split ?  

thx

I'm aware of it and was ignoring it for the time being. It is hard to visualize comparisons of multiple strings to multiple strings and keep it meaningful without making a huge mess of chart lines.

Generally there are two separate cases:

* seteel challenge and icore steel - each string is the same (for most stages), and best ones are taken. In the case there isn't really an easy competitor-to-competitor comparison between strings. I could compare the best string/run. I also might be able to show deviation from the best run, though that may not work well with extra shots on other strings. But currently app does show chart of string-to-string for one competitor (when there is timer data for all strings).

* uspsa, idpa, icore - strings have different briefing (free style, WHO, SHO, different distance, etc) and time for all strings are combined. Currently app shows time chart just for the 1st string and I was planning to add controls for switching to other strings.

Anyways, remind me to work on this by emailing at support@practiscore.com

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

It doesn't pick up shots from another bay, even though I can clearly hear them.  I think it has something to do with the sharpness of the sound.  Sounds from your shooter have a sharp attack.  Shots from another bay have a softer attack, even though it may be louder.  It's like calling for a bird at ATA Trap.  If your call starts with an explosive consonant, as in Pull, the bird comes out.  Calls with soft consonants have to be a lot louder to have any chance of working at all. 

It also doesn't get echos from the side berms.  I forget how long it is, but I believe there is a 5 millisecond freeze after a shot is recorded and it can pick up another shot.  I'll experiment at the next shoot and see how sensitive I can make it without false positives.  I do know that at maximum sensitivity it will pick up the hammer fall in dry fire.  If you position it just right it picks up taking the safety off.  I'll also try less sensitive, just in case.

I took a shot at graphing my shot by shot for each string against another competitor.  I did this just for Accelerator in SCSA;   Not perfect and I honestly have no real idea of what conclusions I would draw yet.   Each 'stack' in the bar column represents a shot;   Sometimes 5 shots, sometimes 8 shots for a crappy string;     Comments welcome. 

image.thumb.png.167e062041bd97113765d456bab5d6dd.png

Doran, Jim (RFPO) A        

1: Accelerator (SC-105)       

2 / 98.44%  /  63.10% B       

S1:3.47 S2:4.46 S3:2.35 S4:4.08 S5:3.57 Time:13.47 +2.50 

S1: 1.01 0.39 0.59 0.61 0.52 0.35 (6) 3.47     
S2: 0.71 0.35 0.51 0.56 0.74 0.65 0.54 0.40 (8) 4.46   
S3: 0.63 0.33 0.48 0.50 0.41 (5) 2.35     
S4: 0.73 0.38 0.40 0.38 0.58 0.57 0.66 0.38 (8) 4.08   
S5: 0.89 0.29 0.43 0.51 0.34 0.73 0.38 (7) 3.57   

Liming, Moose (RFPO) M      

1: Accelerator (SC-105)       

1 / 100.00%  /  64.10% B       

S1:3.75 S2:2.66 S3:3.99 S4:5.66(Miss:3.00) S5:2.86 Time:13.26 

S1: 0.77 0.49 0.77 0.21 0.44 0.40 0.29 0.38 (8) 3.75   
S2: 0.75 0.51 0.79 0.25 0.36 (5) 2.66     
S3: 0.69 0.31 0.63 0.48 0.84 0.24 0.47 0.33 (8) 3.99   
S4: 0.90 0.43 0.72 0.23 0.38 (5) 2.66     
S5: 0.78 0.48 0.81 0.27 0.52 (5) 2.86 
Edited by jrdoran

6 hours ago, jrdoran said:

I took a shot at graphing my shot by shot for each string against another competitor.  I did this just for Accelerator in SCSA;   Not perfect and I honestly have no real idea of what conclusions I would draw yet.   Each 'stack' in the bar column represents a shot;   Sometimes 5 shots, sometimes 8 shots for a crappy string;     Comments welcome. 

Normally stacked bar chart isn't used for variable set or values (shots in this case) but idea is interesting.

With more than 5 colors on a diagram, it is getting hard to follow which one is which and hard to compare split times to each other, especially when they are from the different strings, e.g. compare s2 and s4 - which one is faster? It will get even more tangled with multiple-string uspsa stages.

Horizontal labels somewhat worked for this manually created chart, but have to solve them when generating automatically. First names are repeated,  multiple divisions for same person, etc.

I have to try to re-color current "string chart" below (I still feel it is more representative in both overall and split time modes) and see how multiple strings look like with lines having the same colors, corresponding to the shooter's colors.

image.thumb.png.b7f9f7c256fe943240c059238f36f33b.png

The interview on the steel podcast was interesting in regards to the audio filter. Mr AMG spent time explaining why all other timers do it wrong and why he was proud of his. Apparently the filter hardware and algorithms mean its the best out there for picking up the right shots. You can adjust it in the timer for echo etc. He says nobody reads the manual and there are some semi hidden settings in there for optimal use.

Ill have to get my order in at some point :)

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I just got my AMG timer. Only thing I don't like is how many clicks it takes to change the par time. We are an i-family, so sometime this winter I'll have to figure out a cheap android device with bluetooth that we can experiment with.

It doesn't interface with iOS??? [Edit - NM, just read in the manual that it does]...

Edited by eboadway

13 hours ago, eboadway said:

It doesn't interface with iOS??? [Edit - NM, just read in the manual that it does]...

hmm. maybe i got faked out by the practiscore site which says  "To use Bluetooth link you need a tablet running Android 4+ with Bluetooth LE support. Bluetooth and Location services need to be enabled. But you don’t need to pair timer in the system Bluetooth settings."

i'll have to experiment.

24 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

hmm. maybe i got faked out by the practiscore site which says  "To use Bluetooth link you need a tablet running Android 4+ with Bluetooth LE support. Bluetooth and Location services need to be enabled. But you don’t need to pair timer in the system Bluetooth settings."

i'll have to experiment.

You took that quote from the page titled "Android app Bluetooth timers"
https://blog.practiscore.com/android-app-bluetooth-timers/

Just now, euxx said:

You took that quote from the page titled "Android app Bluetooth timers"
https://blog.practiscore.com/android-app-bluetooth-timers/

which is where the amg labs user manual sent me.

i was unable to find a page for ios-app-bluetooth-timers, but perhaps I'm just technologically challenged.

16 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I just got my AMG timer. Only thing I don't like is how many clicks it takes to change the par time. We are an i-family, so sometime this winter I'll have to figure out a cheap android device with bluetooth that we can experiment with.

Just get one of those from Amazon. Though you'll have to install Google Play for Competitor and other apps, but that's not too hard.

https://www.facebook.com/eugene.practiscore/posts/542388019940788

3 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

which is where the amg labs user manual sent me.

i was unable to find a page for ios-app-bluetooth-timers, but perhaps I'm just technologically challenged.

It's because PractiScore iOS app developer hasn't created no pages for iOS. Email support or helpdesk on that if you need details.

Just a heads up, if you live somewhere cold, the screen has very poor performance in sub freezing temp. It would take .5-.75 seconds to scroll through each split. 

I think this timer is great, but living somewhere that is cold 5-6 months of the year takes a lot of the usability out of it. 

2 hours ago, Rich406 said:

Just a heads up, if you live somewhere cold, the screen has very poor performance in sub freezing temp. It would take .5-.75 seconds to scroll through each split. 

Try using NiMH rechargeable batteries in it.  They hold their rated voltage for much longer and are not as affected by the cold.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Try using NiMH rechargeable batteries in it.  They hold their rated voltage for much longer and are not as affected by the cold.

I spoke with amg about the slowness, and he initially wanted to turn up the voltage to the screen. After finding out what temperature I was using the timer in, he didn’t think it would make any difference. 

5 hours ago, Rich406 said:

I think this timer is great, but living somewhere that is cold 5-6 months of the year takes a lot of the usability out of it. 

Don’t know what sub-freezing while shooting feels like, I would be frozen. Afraid I’ve become too soft living in tropical weather year round. I can tell you my timer is working great in 80-90 degree temperatures.

13 hours ago, HI5-O said:

Don’t know what sub-freezing while shooting feels like, I would be frozen. Afraid I’ve become too soft living in tropical weather year round. I can tell you my timer is working great in 80-90 degree temperatures.

Whatever jerk!😂😂

Ouch! That’s horrible.

How do the other timers fair in those conditions?

• 6 months later...