Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AMG Labs timers

Nathanb

Anyone know when they’ll be available. They’ve been saying 30-60 days for a minute now and wouldn’t mind getting my hands on one to start testing.  I’d like to replace all our pocket pros if I could. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Deserteaglexxx said:

Their available you just need to order then it’s 30-60 to receive.

It’s one of those “always on backorder” type deals? It’s amazing how many of those companies survive in this industry. It looks interesting, has anyone had any experience with them?

• 4 weeks later...

I discovered the adjustable sensitivity feature and found the timer would pick up the click of the thumb safety and the hammer strike during dry fire practice. Plus the ability to adjust the volume of the start beep keeps the neighbors happy. Haven’t tried interfacing it with PractiScore yet. 

5 hours ago, HI5-O said:

I discovered the adjustable sensitivity feature and found the timer would pick up the click of the thumb safety and the hammer strike during dry fire practice. Plus the ability to adjust the volume of the start beep keeps the neighbors happy. Haven’t tried interfacing it with PractiScore yet. 

Oh nice.  That could be pretty handy.

Can't see anything useful that I do not already have with my timer.

Would not want to score a match without the r.o. and score keeper communicating about the correct time, too much stuff happens (open guns in next bay, slide closure picked up, etc). In theory if the scorekeeper was counting shots and shots were never missed by the timer then maybe it would be ok to trust pushing the time button instead of communicating about the correct time. 

I can see that too and I don’t think it changes the way scoring will be done but it is a nice way to check the scores are being relayed the same and could speed it up while minimizing fat fingers. 

Part of my testing is around The different sensitivity for different types of firearms etc  

22 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Would not want to score a match without the r.o. and score keeper communicating about the correct time, too much stuff happens (open guns in next bay, slide closure picked up, etc). In theory if the scorekeeper was counting shots and shots were never missed by the timer then maybe it would be ok to trust pushing the time button instead of communicating about the correct time. 

RO and scorekeeper will still communicate, with bluetooth capability to pull time remotely it greatly reduces change of incorrect time being entered, first because you reduce chance of fatfingering it and second.... well,  picture this situation: shooter done shooting and RO gives "if you finished......." command and monitoring shooter clear gun, etc. Scorekeeper does not have chance to see timer just yet, and somewhere during "unload and show clear" next bay fires loud shot that gets picked up by timer adding extra 4 seconds or so. Then RO glances over the timer, calls time, and it gets typed in and error goes unnoticed. However if you have the ability to pull time remotely, as soon as RO starts clearing the shooter, scorekeeper can already download time, and few seconds later when RO calls time all scorekeeper need to do is just confirm.

The scorekeeper should be busy either scoring ahead or else helping the r.o. watch the shooter. With the current state of the nation (timers set for vey quiet pccs) the r.o.'s must get in the habit of noting the time of the last shot, saved a couple folks a couple seconds by doing this at my last level 2.

Agree that you can fat finger the time, but you can also fat finger the hits (I have gotten no shoots on my score from stages that did not have any no shoots) so care must be taken. 

I have no heartburn at all if folks enjoy the features and want to try out the new timer. 

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I find it very handy to be able to analyse my practice runs at the range while I still remember things.

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

It doesn't mean that ROs and score keepers don't have to do their due diligence because there is a new tech.

They still should communicate and confirm time and verify correctness.

But new tech opens new possibilities to both ROs and shooters. Shooters can see their per-shot data from real matches. And RO can use per-shot data when running a match. For example, instead of giving a reshoot because they bumped timer on things or when it picked up shots from another bay (adding extra 2..30 seconds to competitor time), the RO or RM can roll back extra shots, even well after stage was shot. This stuff is built-in into PractiScore. Similarly, there is a history of previously downloaded strings in PractiScore that allows time to be restored from in case RO reset timer by accident or when time was overwritten on a wrong stage. 

It also helps to provide evidence for unrealistic stage times. Like when timer only registered 9 shots on a 24 rounds stage because RO kept timer behind his back while running a PCC competitor...

Sounds like a good candidate for try it and see if it sounds good to you.

If the time data helps makes make you a better shooter that would be a great thing. If having 2 people sort of responsible for the time is less problematic than having one person completely responsible then that could possibly be a good thing also.

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

If having 2 people sort of responsible for the time is less problematic than having one person completely responsible then that could possibly be a good thing also.

There's always been 3 people responsible and new gadgets don't change that.

1) RO holding timer is responsible for getting time properly recorded on the timer

2) Score keeper is responsible for time properly transferred from timer into the scoresheet. Before it was verbally communicated and verbally confirmed as it was written on the paper. Now it is transferred tirelessly from timer to electronic scoresheet in PractiScore and still can be verbally confirmed between RO and scorekeeper. Now both of them have access to information about number of shots and last splits recorded.

3) The competitor is responsible for verifying and then accepting his score

26 minutes ago, euxx said:

1) RO holding timer is responsible for getting time properly recorded on the timer

2) Score keeper is responsible for time properly transferred from timer into the scoresheet. Before it was verbally communicated and verbally confirmed as it was written on the paper. Now it is transferred tirelessly from timer to electronic scoresheet in PractiScore and still can be verbally confirmed between RO and scorekeeper. Now both of them have access to information about number of shots and last splits recorded.

3) The competitor is responsible for verifying and then accepting his score

+1 regardless of timer/RO the competitor is responsible for making sure his score /time is accurate.

1 hour ago, euxx said:

If nothing changes, except you push one button and then double check or edit based on what the r.o. says - versus pushing 4 buttons, that seems aok. 

I assume that times can be input manually and nothing unfixable happens if the time button is hit too soon by accident. 

52 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I assume that times can be input manually and nothing unfixable happens if the time button is hit too soon by accident. 

Yes, you can still enter/edit time manually. But you also can re-download times from timer more than once.

Also, if needed, you can drop few last shots in PractiScore after time was downloaded.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Hooked said:

Anyone get their order fulfilled lately?  I put my order in on May 27th, so I'm coming up to the 60 day mark. 

Thanks!

I received mine about 2 weeks ago. Ordered 4/24, shipped 7/3.