Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

calibration challenge

Diver123

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, WaJim said:

Well, right after I started USPSA I got chewed out for NOT calling for calibration by a veteran shooter.

I just hosed a steel stage...better than I ever thought I could at the time and didn't want to re-shoot it.

He said I was screwing the next shooter by NOT calling for calibration.

:shrug: 

I took the Mike....no reshoot.

The only person you are screwing is yourself.    If your hit was dead center in the calibration zone,,,,,,call for a calibration!  If you had an edge hit, you can bet the steel will fall when calibration is checked.   Remember, it is your score and you can challenge certain things according to the rules.  Know your rule book!

On 5/3/2019 at 5:21 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

It is good to practice politely ignoring people like that. 

He actually had a good point, but only if the RO's are lazy jackwagons that aren't managing their steel. If you edge-hit a mini-popper and it doesn't go down... yeah, why waste everyone's time to try to get a reshoot you don't deserve..... OTOH, if the popper really has become too heavy because the RO's are lazy and stupid, now their laziness and stupidity can screw someone else before they finally do their job and fix it.

We already chrono to ensure power factor. Having poppers fall for score and the need to call calibration is a very outdated thought. If they are needed for an activator they should be properly set to ensure function or else automatic reshoot.

15 hours ago, lacivilian said:

We already chrono to ensure power factor. Having poppers fall for score and the need to call calibration is a very outdated thought. If they are needed for an activator they should be properly set to ensure function or else automatic reshoot.

so a partial hit 2" up from the hinge is a reshoot?

or a full dia in or above the circle?

how do you measure if a hit is full dia or not? 

do we need 8 and 12" circle overlays to decide if a hit is actually in the calibration zone? 

if any hit would equal a reshoot then should we just go to hanging steel any hit is a hit and nothing needs to fall? this would be faster to reset if falling doesn't matter.

just playing devils advocate.

2 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

so a partial hit 2" up from the hinge is a reshoot?

or a full dia in or above the circle?

how do you measure if a hit is full dia or not? 

do we need 8 and 12" circle overlays to decide if a hit is actually in the calibration zone? 

if any hit would equal a reshoot then should we just go to hanging steel any hit is a hit and nothing needs to fall? this would be faster to reset if falling doesn't matter.

just playing devils advocate.

That's fine. We paint steel anyways at major matches. Treat it just like steel challenge. A hit anywhere on the plate is a hit. There is no need for "full diameter hits" as this is not paper scoring targets. You either get 5 points or 0 points. No need to make this more complicated than it has to be. Yeah sure thing hanging steel would be perfectly okay in this scenario as every shot is painted over as previously stated. There isn't half as much confusion in steel challenge as there is uspsa. There is no need for falling steel but most matches would still use it as they already have it on hand. 

11 hours ago, Thomas H said:

They aren't.  People are just unhappy that poor hits aren't rewarded as well as good hits.  (Among other things.)

I think it is the lack of repeatability that can make shooters unhappy at a match, and match directors miserable with reshoots and recalibrations. The two very strong anti popper folks I know are both very experienced at putting together successful level 2 and above matches.  

I say we go 3 gun style on all steel: must fall to score. Shooting 105 PF and don’t knock it down? Sorry. 

Spin a plate 90°? Knock it down. 

Think of of all the time we could save on calibration challenges and reshoots!!

Edited by HCH

On 5/9/2019 at 6:12 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

I think it is the lack of repeatability that can make shooters unhappy at a match, and match directors miserable with reshoots and recalibrations. The two very strong anti popper folks I know are both very experienced at putting together successful level 2 and above matches.  

Yes repeatability is an issue but steel is a great challenge.....for most of us its fun as heck.

RO'd a match yesterday one stage had 4 forward falling steel one of which was set pretty heavy and would fall but it took a second.

There was a second popper behind them. After it was shot successfully twice (two shooters in) I adjusted that popper and got slack from the peanut gallery.

"Hey, we want reshoots."

Ahhh, Nope.

Steel..... is going to be steel.

Peanut Gallery gonna be full of Peanuts.

If they get too rambunctious....try and hand them the Timer.

They want NO part of that.

On 5/1/2019 at 7:27 AM, rowdyb said:

Unless you're shooting IPSC, then that does matter. Maybe that's where the confusion stems from??

WHERE do you get this idea?  The IPSC rules for popper challenge are the same as the USPSA rules.  The wordings in each set of rules are virtually identical.

48 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

WHERE do you get this idea?  The IPSC rules for popper challenge are the same as the USPSA rules.  The wordings in each set of rules are virtually identical.

Listening to other people I trusted when I had an issue at us ipsc nats years ago. So anecdotal versus rulebook. i should have known better as I went with " I think,,," versus "I know..."

On 5/8/2019 at 2:04 PM, lacivilian said:

That's fine. We paint steel anyways at major matches. Treat it just like steel challenge. A hit anywhere on the plate is a hit. There is no need for "full diameter hits" as this is not paper scoring targets. You either get 5 points or 0 points. No need to make this more complicated than it has to be. Yeah sure thing hanging steel would be perfectly okay in this scenario as every shot is painted over as previously stated. There isn't half as much confusion in steel challenge as there is uspsa. There is no need for falling steel but most matches would still use it as they already have it on hand. 

Partial hit counts on paper,,, partial hit 2 inches up on a plate counts on a free standing plate,, it either falls and scores or reshoot for REF.  Why a completely different rule set and drawn out calibration procedure for a single type of target ? 
Me thinks this is just an old rule left over from pre readily available cheap chrono's

45 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Partial hit counts on paper,,, partial hit 2 inches up on a plate counts on a free standing plate,, it either falls and scores or reshoot for REF.  Why a completely different rule set and drawn out calibration procedure for a single type of target ? 
Me thinks this is just an old rule left over from pre readily available cheap chrono's

I think it is about poppers frequently being used to activate other targets.

Maybe no shoots in front of poppers below calibration zone on activators..
Which reminds me of one pretty fun club I shot at a few times... Many of the lanes had roofs that made steel hits echo. . They used large clearly marked stationary steel as no shoots... 
Absolutely nothing louder than a giant steel noshoot getting wacked.  bang bang bang GONG!!!!!!!!!!!!,,, lol. 

I have changed my position on poppers. We should ban them from the sport!! This weekend I clipped a popper and heard it ring, but I did not knock it down. The RM was nearby so I asked for calibration. Of course, the popper fell. 

If anyone needs me, I will be in my safe space, away from the big scary poppers.