Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spare Pistols

srf

How many of you USPSA (or IPSC) faithful bring a spare pistol to matches? I'm lucky enough to own two S_I limited pistols but I'm beginning to question the need to bring both of them to matches. I was at an area match a year or two ago where a couple of the 'big dogs' had problems, they fixed them with spare parts or scrounged (actually that really surprised me) what they needed. As I've improved I see that a major problem puts you out of the match anyway, so it is almost like 'what's the point'. I carry complete spare parts kits for my primary pistol and I can pretty much replace anything on it if I have a problem right before the match. I'd like to hear your opinions, especially from some of you aforementioned 'big dogs' (and you know who you are).

Any match bigger than a local, and I bring a spare Glock 17 in addition to my primary 34. I have a few key parts that I can use to fix my #1 gun, but who knows what could break and put you out of the action.

If I'm spending $200+ on going to a big match, I'm not going to let a little part breakage make me tape for the rest of the day.

It's not a big deal in production, as a backup is only $500. In the other divisions, I wouldn't be surprised if it was maybe 15% of shooters that have a dedicated backup gun. I'd bet however that if your gun broke and you didn't have a replacement, other shooters would help you out with a part, or offer to loan you thier gun to finish the match.

When I first came to this country I had two identical S*I guns built by a local gunsmith. The reason was primarily for backup but also so I could take both guns overseas so perhaps another shooter from England could use the other gun for the match (as UK can't own handguns any more).

As each year has progressed however, I have come to realise that a backup gun is usually not necessary. A complete spare parts kit is far cheaper (certainly in OPEN) and it is possible to fix the vast majority of problems.

The only thinkg that could not be fixed at the range is usually the results of a squib load with a live follow up. In those cases a gunsmith is usually required just to get the bits apart.

For PRODUCTION division a backup might make good economic sense, as someone else already pointed out. But in the other divisions the cost starts to become prohibitive, far better I think to spend that money on a decent spare parts kit and extra practice.

Spare parts kit should contain everything except the frame and slide.

I brought an identical spare open gun to the range at WSXIV every day just so I wouldn't need it.

I'm a big believer in having my spare parts kit packed up into a working form.

I haven't needed my backup blaster in years, but I still bring it. When I get a new one, the old one becomes the backup and the old backup can be sold.

I have a friend, while shooting a major match, his primary gun (STI Edge) broke and he went to his backup (Para) and it broke too, bummer.

Having a backup offers peace of mind so that I can think of other things to mess up at a match. For that reason I have a pair of identical limited guns and open guns.

If I was training to be a National Champ, or going to the World Shoot. I would definitely have a B/U gun. I would practice with my back up and shoot my match gun for matches only after I broke it in with 3-4k rounds. I've had some breakage lately and it sucks!!! Not defective equiptment, but just regular wear and tear. I'm shooting production this next year and I for sure will have a back-up (or two.) Guns are the cheap part of shooting. Spare parts are ok, but spare guns are better. I am going to go to "match use only" mags also.

Backup gun is the way to fly. My backup is generally my carry pistol, but I bring my "racy" UM's holster and extra mags for it to every match. My Swensons just disintegrated a few weeks ago. It took me a couple hours to get the new ones fitted up just right. No way that's going to happen in the safety area during a match.

I had to go to a backup gun at the GA state match. The hinge pin broke on my bomar and it is a major PIA to change on the bench much less at the safety table. I had my son's STI Edge and went to it. I learned a real valuable lesson. Practice with your backup gun too. We had the long standards stage at 40 yards. I was hitting well with my gun, but my backup was sighted different resulting in several misses. (hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :) )

dj

I bring 2 STI's (one Edge one Eagle) to all matches, spare parts (extractors, springs, fibre sight rods. and a few other factory parts that get swapped out) tools (files, squib rods, small wire cutters/pliers, driver set hex/torx/screw, punches, drifts, even have a small vise stashed in the truck)

Murphy has one of those laws that says if "you don't bring it you WILL need it (or someone else may) and if you DID bring it you won't need it". Many (over the years) have made fun of my the extra weight I carry around in a range bag but eventually those that laugh, at some point, wind up tapping me on the shoulder and say "HELP, may I borrow........."

At an IDPA match (state) a few years ago someone had locked their pistol case with a padlock (both guns) and lost the key, I had a set of bolt cutters in the truck and they were saved.

Many times the major matches are expesive (entry. lodging, meals, travel/fuel) and to shut down because of a mechanical/part failure is not fun.

Srf,

Of course you should bring your back up gun, because I don't have one  ;). Your spare parts kit comes in handy too!

Steve

The 'friend' backup is a good plan too.. if you agree in advance with somebody on your squad that's shooting a similar blaster and similar ammo that if one breaks you'll share the other. Switching back and forth can be annoying, but better than not shooting at all.

The 'friend' backup is a good plan too.. if you agree in advance with somebody on your squad that's shooting a similar blaster and similar ammo that if one breaks you'll share the other.  Switching back and forth can be annoying, but better than not shooting at all.

Exactly, being a relative newbie, my "back up" comes in the form of my shooting buddies. Srf not only would let me use his back up and provide emergency parts, he also shows me how to put them in, sets up my trigger, what load to use, and helps me plan out stage. He basically offers everything he's learned. The only thing he doesn't do for me is let me beat him.

Now that I think of it, I even have a different set of shooting buddies to rely on for my new open gun.

Steve

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. Very thought provoking! I thought I was being anal and a product of Boy Scout over-training, but I found out that mostly, I'm like the rest of you! :o . So now I'll have to keep that extra S_I because my peers say so. Besides, after all the nice things GTOSHootr said, how could I deny him.

I too have fallen victim to the primary gun failure syndrome at a local match.. more than once.

1- I grabbed up everything to shoot the local match and did not pay attention

to the ammo.. well grabbed the wrong box.. usally not a problem but I had left the gun that it goes at home... Ie: open gun to shoot grabbed limited ammo left the limited gun at home.. luckly the range that I had went is ran by a good friend and the gunsmith that I use.. well long story short I was able to use his wifes s*i pistol to shoot with.. WoW this was a change of pace from my para's ...

2- shooting a single stack only style match..

showed up with a lighty used springfield 45 ww model.. did some light mods to it.. added new thumb saftey hammer/sear, trigger and magwell .

and had shot it out at the family farm to make sure everything was in tune.. nothing a miss UNTIL I went to the match.. and U guessed it upchuck city .. would not run, FTE main problem.. well talked to the match Dir. he had no problem with me switching to a back up that I brought different cal. but Ran like a champ...

Back up guns are great not only for you but for our fellow shooters also..

I have since tried to bring at least Two pistols and complete rigs to shoot with because we never know when a Holster will go Bad toooo or when some one forgets there's at home....

Jerry K

SuperComp9

My experience is that most of the big names don't carry a back up gun, just a big bag of parts. That is what I do as well. If the gun craps out that stage is gone and your only option is to fix it - I try to make sure I have the parts to do just that.

In production I can understand it, but most other divisions I'd rather fix my main blaster and go.

The reality is that most folks who have an A gun and a B gun have that B gun as a B gun for a reason - it ain't as good. Now if you go to matches and pick up which ever blaster happens to hit the hand at the beginning of the day and you are comfortable that which ever one you pick up will work and shoot the way you want then I think the case becomes more plausible.

J

Face it, there are many conceivable gun problems that cannot be fixed by having a "big bag of parts." If you're in one of those disastrous situations, and only have parts along, you're done for the match. If you have a back-up gun ready to roll, you're only done for that one stage.

I would never attend any match, even club level matches, without a complete back-up gun. (Of course, in the Revo division, that's a little cheaper than it would be for those of you shooting Limited and Open!) I usually leave it in the trunk of the car, along with the extra belt/holster I take along in case my primary rig breaks.

I also take along way more ammo and clothing than I'm ever going to need. I'm also the "go-to" guy people find when they need sunscreen and bug spray. What can I say--as an Eagle Scout, I'm a big believer in the "Be Prepared" philosophy! :)

I carry a STI Eagle and an Edge to every big match. My ejector broke in the middle of a stage in the 2004 Space city classic. I went to the truck and got out the Edge. It is now my primary gun. I could not have fixed the Eagle on the range.One of the feet that stick down into the frame broke off and had to be drilled out by my smith

I always have a spare. There are several things that can go wrong that either a. just can't be fixed there, or b. can't be fixed quickly enough. While some of the big name shooters may consider their match a total loss with just one stage, I'll fight for every point I can get.

As far as keeping one gun for practice and one for match, use caution with this strategy. Bob Londigran had a very good point in a Front Sight article a while back. If you use your match gun, only for matches and it develops a problem, guess where that problem will appear. You're better off rotating them if they really are identical, or just always shooting your main gun. The same goes for magazines.

As far as keeping one gun for practice and one for match, use caution with this strategy.  Bob Londigran had a very good point in a Front Sight article a while back.  If you use your match gun, only for matches and it develops a problem, guess where that problem will appear.  You're better off rotating them if they really are identical, or just always shooting your main gun.  The same goes for magazines.

Good points.

I take an identical backup Open gun to major matches since I pay big $$$ for travel and don't want to be sidelined by not having a working gun. I thought of bringing spare parts but, I'll probably need a part that I won't have. And, if my scope goes out...

b