Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spare Pistols

srf

I take a back up gun also. It will not be identical to the main match gun but will allow me to continue. I try to keep at least with the same caliber and style. As others said, if your main gun crashes, you are probably out of the running anyway so the rest of the match is mostly for fun.

I have 2 S-I's both built by a local smith. I have really enjoyed using one for experimenting with new triggers and springs etc. I then take the winners and incorporate them into my primary gun. They are both coming to the same point and will eventually be as close to being clones as I can make them.

I would not consider going to a major match without both guns.

Yes, I bring a spare gun and leave it in the car. I shoot a cheap gun, a CZ, so this is economical.

I have needed it more than once, the two most memorable were:

I broke a slide stop at a steel match, glad I had one I could borrow from the spare gun.

I broke a rear sight, so I just swapped top ends and used the #1 frame with the #2 slide to finish the match.

They are nearly identical, but not completely, and I really do favor the #1 gun.

If I ever build that open gun, I doubt I'll be able to have a second one built too.

Holy crap. I can't even get through a single practice session w/o my Ltd gun breaking. Goddamned thing crapped out again this afternoon. I have this bad vibe that my breechface is cracking. I think I'll probably have to have TWO backups if I go shoot Nats. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I bring a bag of parts and tools that I leave in the car. Ejector; fitted extractor; fitted hammer, sear and disconnector; fitted barrel bushing; recoil plug, guide rod and extra recoil springs; firing pin, fitted stop and spring; slide stop; mag release; fitted ambi safety; and mainspring housing, springs and caps. I even have a trigger and old barrel and comp that I replaced. About the only things missing from my bag are a slide and frame. Most of parts I can change out in minutes.

The majority of my spares are parts I've upgraded but they'll work in a pinch. Even if I bought these parts new just for the gun, it would still come out cheaper than buying a new gun.