Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grips that fit

New stock 3 owner and the first thing I wanted to do was replace the wood grips for something thinner. Ordered some thin G10 grips from LOK  grips. Very nicely made, but after a few rounds it felt like the gun was moving in my hand... and it was. The grips were pivoting slightly fore and aft on the screw. Contacted LOK and they sent another pair. I'm afraid they're no better. LOK sent a prepaid envelope for a full refund. 

Anyway, can you guys recommend grips that will fit or is this a hit or miss proposition with Tanfoglio?  

I try other grips. Had the LOK palm swell, I felt I was shooting worse and they did move a little. I keep going back to the PD palm swells. I have medium hands and they are the only grips my support hand touches.

It's going to be more an issue with the gun/poor quality control. LOK quality is very good, if they move around, then most likely others will too. I've had several lok and henning grips, both great quality and customer service if something doesn't fit right. Make sure the screw you are using is same diameter as hole in grips, use a rubber washer if necessary. Can you tell what part of the grip is not fitting correctly?

Try a set of Hennings. They’re by far the best fit and best machined grips out there.

Use a rubber washer in there, too.

A component that large retained by a single screw is idiocy, I’d like to have seen four. So I expect to have to torque them from time to time.

All metal grips move.  It's the design of the Tanfo that only has 1 screw to hold the panels in place.  Plastic or wood are much less likely to move around. 

I use JB cold weld on all my metal grip panels because I found out rubber washers + red lotctite still loosen up eventually.  With JB cold weld, 0 movement after many thousands of rounds so far.  It is kind of permanent though.  I have not attempted to take them out and I expect a lot of work to remove them.

Thanks all. One screw would probably be just fine... if your tolerances were perfect. There's a few thousandths gap between the leading edge of the grip cutout in the frame and the same edge of the raised surface of the grip that drops into it. With the screw snug, you can put your thumbs on the top and bottom of the grip and pivot the grip fore and aft. I'm not familiar with G10 and don't know what would stick to it to fill the gap. 

Nothing bad to say about LOK grips! I have a set on a CZ SP-01 that fit perfect. They sent out another set the day after I spoke with them and sent a return envelope with them. Told me to send both back for a full refund if neither fit. I will most likely buy a set for my shadow 2.

The Henning grips are out of stock everywhere that carries them. Also over $100 for a set of grips and I'm a cheap bastard. For $35 I'm tempted to try the lava grips on ebay. They have a listing for the competition frames. Search goes on.

I found there was too much flex in the lava rock grips personally.   I know they are pricey but, I second what Memphis said.  Hennings are by far the best grips on the market.

If you want to go the cheapest route of all, why not sand the wood grips down some and use grip tape?

I like the Henning checkered ones but wish he would make another run of his fully checkered ones.  The lack of checkering on the upper portion of the left panel bothers me.

I switched to the LOK palm swells in the interim.  The checking all over the panels is quite satisfactory, but like others I've also noticed a bit of flexing/moving of the panels as I shoot.  Do the PD palm swells flex or move like the LOKs do?

3 hours ago, ColloRosso said:

For $35 I'm tempted to try the lava grips on ebay. They have a listing for the competition frames. Search goes on.

Lava grips use to be really s#!tty, thin and flexible. He has changed them for the competition frames. Much firmer now, thicker and slight contour to them similar to the henning.

13 minutes ago, Polymer said:

Lava grips use to be really s#!tty, thin and flexible. He has changed them for the competition frames. Much firmer now, thicker and slight contour to them similar to the henning.

I think I'll try a set and let everybody how they work. Hennings are out of stock anyway. $35 won't kill me and I'll have cash to order a Dawson F.O. front sight so I can tell where I'm pointing the muzzle! 

Mine did that too for a while but it was more an annoyance than a problem. After using pro grip for a few months they quit moving at all, don't really know why but both guns have been the same. I guess the pro grip fills the gap a bit. 

On 4/6/2019 at 12:46 PM, V2plus25 said:

Do the PD palm swells flex or move like the LOKs do?

My PD's needed some filing before they fit the guns, not a big deal and I filed off as little material as possible, end result is that the grips fit the guns well and there is no play so there is no movement. 

I do not know if this is by design. 

Called LOK and told them the second pair fit like the first. They said send them both for a full refund. I told them no, send me a set for a shadow 2 and don't worry about the $10 difference (the Tanfo's were $10 more). 

Ordered a set of lava grips and got them in a few days. Very tight fit. Wound up reliving the screw hole and screw head relief slightly on the right panel to not cross thread. Not as thin as the LOK's, but thinner than the wood it came with. They're like skateboard tape in texture and feel great in the hand. They flex a little out of the package, but can't feel any once mounted. Rather happy so far. Was hoping to shoot with them today, but it's the weekend so it's raining...

I got a set of LOK grips for my Limited Custom, I have LOK's on 5 other guns right now, and I have been extremely happy.

These grips did not fit. I sent them a picture of the grips not fitting and they asked me to take the Mag well off and see if they fit that way and if they do they sent me a GIF of a guy sanding the bottom of his grips to make them "custom" grip. 

They are not inexpensive and they are supposed to be custom grips before I tweak them or possibly ruin them.

If I didn't like LOK grips so much I would be pretty upset but when they do fit they are not only great looking but they make shooting my gun fun.

Not what I was expecting from them.

RCG 

Edited by recoilguy

2 hours ago, ColloRosso said:

I'm not up on all the Tanfoglio frame differences, but I'm wondering if the compitition large frame is slightly different from the other large frames and LOK doesn't realize it.

They realize. Problem is many running changes over time from tanfoglio

I originally had a set of EGD grips on my Limited Custom when ordered from Patriot Defense but found them too thin. I had to stay on those 2 screws too.

I ordered a set of LOK grips with the liners and when they arrived, they needed some light modification at the tops. I took my time and when I was done, they kinda clicked into place. I've put upwards of 3000 rounds through it since and they are still tight. I do have the o rings under the screws. 

Funny how everybodies experience is slightly different. To me, these are some drop dead gorgeous handguns, but like my gorgeous Redhead, they have their quirks that will make you scratch your head and say WTF.....

Can somebody with henning grips take a profile pick of them. They look flat in some pictures like here

H069_2.jpg

And in some they look like they have a hump like here 

Tanfoglio-MatchSteelStockI-Checkered-Con

I'd like to know how the profile and thickness compress to the LOK palm swells and thins.

No hump. Biggest difference henning vs lok thin, henning profile up top, slight contour, lok is flat.

I have not owned the palm swell, but they look widest in center, thickness up top seem between thins and henning.

Don't let that comparison pic fool you. It doesn't account for the profile of grip up top. Even though henning is minimally wider, they feel much wider due to the full profile, and not cut out under rear tang.