Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Warranty Opinion/Thoughts

Looking for thoughts here...

i recently broke a cam bolt bolt on my 1050.  I called Dillon and they sent me a new one.  All was well.

I broke the part again...  looks like ive figured out what the issue was, but it doesn’t change the fact the the part is broken.

Called Dillon again and the rep on the phone said I would have to pay for the part.  I’m not sure if I am ok with this...  I understand it’s a 1050, and it’s not technically covered by there typical warranty.  In saying that, I’ve owned several presses over the years.  I currently have an RL 1050, Super 1050, and XL650.  Those 1050 machines all have quick swaps of at least 6 calibers and another 4 on the 650.

That means I probably have around $7k in Dillon products on my bench.  For a non commercial reloader Inwould say that’s a pretty penny to have spent with them.

Am I over reacting by hearing an MK7 in my future or (meaning switching over due to this) or should I just get over it.   

For the record, I’ve had reps at Dillon tell me they wouldn’t warranty items on my 650 in the past as well (which Inthrew a for about). Has as anyone else had Dillon tell them they would not replace a broken part/parts?  What’s the reasoning behind it?

I’ve never had them not cover anything on my square deal. I’ve never heard before of them not covering anything on their presses that have the lifetime warranty. 

I’ve definitely heard of them not covering things on the 1050 since they explicitly state as much on the product page for it. I don’t see this as an issue since you know what you’re getting into up front. 

They have told me no several times for stuff on my 650 over the years... worn springs etc...  

On the 1050, true... it just seems very short sighted imo given what’s coming in terms of competition.  

Then get the competitors machine and get in line for all the fixes to stuff that should have been right in the first place and poor customer service others are experiencing. And you get all that for about what you have in your Dillon gear. But you’ll only have one press in one caliber.

Yeah, that’s what I would do instead of paying for a bolt.

I’m willing to bet if a $4 part breaks on one of their machines they will take care of it.  Esp if a customer had 3 other presses on their bench and record of them buying at least 10 presses over the last 6 or 7 years.

Anyway, being in a sales consulting position my mind always looks toward the long term customer loyal customer   

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Then get the competitors machine and get in line for all the fixes to stuff that should have been right in the first place and poor customer service others are experiencing. And you get all that for about what you have in your Dillon gear. But you’ll only have one press in one caliber.

Yeah, that’s what I would do instead of paying for a bolt.

Hey Sarge!  Thanks for your thoughts!  My complaint has nothing to do with the $4 bolt.  It really doesn’t... 

I do appreciate the thoughts here though... my question and reason for the thread was to actually hear others thoughts on this...

I want to state as far as actually policy goes, am in the wrong here.  Just want that to be clear.

1 minute ago, Face5535 said:

Hey Sarge!  Thanks for your thoughts!  My complaint has nothing to do with the $4 bolt.  It really doesn’t... 

Then I guess I didn’t understand what you meant when you said,”Am I over reacting by hearing an MK7 in my future or (meaning switching over due to this) or should I just get over it.“

Dillon has never been ben hunted at charging me for a part on my 650. The reason I won’t buy a 1050 is because they don’t offer the no BS warranty and don’t want to pay for parts.

18 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Dillon has never been ben hunted at charging me for a part on my 650. The reason I won’t buy a 1050 is because they don’t offer the no BS warranty and don’t want to pay for parts.

Sure!  But I have:(. As mentioned up top I’ve been told I need to pay for springs and other broken or worn parts on my 650.  I have also been given some parts for my 1050...  so with Dillon, which one is it... is it covered or not?!

**Its not like parts get worn or break often BTW.  I can count on one hand how many parts I’ve needed from them over the years.

Edited by Face5535

I have been running a 650 for 6 years now and I have never paid for a broken part. Dillon even sent me the return springs for my powder measure when I wanted to ditch the fail safe rod even though I offered to buy them. They have also sent me a replacement platform after mine cracked, free of charge.  

I don't own a 1050 but if I did I would not expect free replacement parts after the initial warranty ran out, as stated in their policy. Are you expecting them to make exceptions because of your large number of purchases? If so, it isn't realistic to think they keep up with everyone's order history or treat certain customers differently. My personal belief is if I broke a part due to my own negligence I would pay for it out of my own pocket, so far Dillon hasn't let me do that but I have also never "thrown a fit" when calling them about it. You should take your own advice and just get over it.  

1050’s don’t get the no BS
Warranty. This is in black and white.
If Dillion does give a customer of a
1050 a free part, consider yourself fortunate. They do not have to do it.
If you are required to pay, put your Man Pants on and pay; don’t wine.
Too much of that these days.
My opinion.
This type of discussion can lead to Dillon management making a policy going forward of 100% of parts for 1050s are a charge no discussion.
If they did that you would not be posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have had a 650 for about 5 years and have never had them charge me for a part. Actually when I called their CS about a question on a worn/broken part and offered to pay because it was probably my fault it broke they sent it with NC.

After having issues with mine that I couldn't seem to fix with many free expensive parts, CS said send it in. Completely rebuilt like new within 3 weeks including shipping time. One reason I will never go with a 1050. 

Same thing with many companies I do business with if they stand behind their no BS warranties it is so worth it. With 3 of us shooting we have broken/worn out a lot.

gerritm

4 hours ago, bwikel said:

My personal belief is if I broke a part due to my own negligence I would pay for it out of my own pocket, so far Dillon hasn't let me do that but I have also never "thrown a fit" when calling them about it. 

Just to clarify, this was on a 650 machine... not the 1050.  So, yes- when a machine comes with a lifetime no BS warranty and Dillon gives me BS I feel as though I should get a bit upset about it.

I have a 650 and have never been told a broken part was not covered.

That includes multiple springs such as case feed slide and primer index.

If I ever talked to a Dillon rep and he said something on a 650 wasn't covered I'd get his name and ask to speak to a supervisor.

I've owned two SDB's for the past 20 years.

Service has been excellent, and yet there were a couple times I got a rep

who gave me a hard time getting a free replacement part (minor parts,

and an exception to most of the Fantastic service).

It did seem very strange to me - never figured out why I got the static

those two times ???

But, if I won a lottery and bought a 1050, I would KNOW in advance that

I pay for replacement parts.      End of conversation.     :eatdrink:

1 hour ago, Service Desk said:

I bought my RL1050B in 1988.....in 2008 Dillon replaced a number of parts in the priming system that had worn out. I was happy to pay, but they replaced them for free.

I am fully assimilated to the Dillon way.

Well, don’t get to used to it man... this was more the point of my thread.  I was “assimilated” to it too.  It’s just shocking when you are used to being treated very well and then told those parts are x amount of $$.

Again, it wouldn’t be a big deal for me if were the first time and only on 1050 parts, but as mentioned up top I’ve been asked to pay for 650 parts...  

Im over it and I’ll buy the $4 part, but IMO Dillon care has changed over the years... years ago they gladly would take care of parts, even send multiples out... and literally help with any issue.  

As it stands today, and my experience over the last year... trouble shooting support as well as warranty have suffered.

For me the problem is Dillon used to be so good that it raised to bar for me.  I knew no matter what, I was going to be taken care of.  Now, they are still very good... it’s just not 100% that I get the answer or result that I want when I call.

Do you mind if I ask what are you referring to as the “cam bolt”

And you mentioned you figured out why it was breaking and the reason it was breaking  ? Thanks 

46 minutes ago, Face5535 said:

Well, don’t get to used to it man... this was more the point of my thread.  I was “assimilated” to it too.  It’s just shocking when you are used to being treated very well and then told those parts are x amount of $$.

Again, it wouldn’t be a big deal for me if were the first time and only on 1050 parts, but as mentioned up top I’ve been asked to pay for 650 parts...  

Im over it and I’ll buy the $4 part, but IMO Dillon care has changed over the years... years ago they gladly would take care of parts, even send multiples out... and literally help with any issue.  

As it stands today, and my experience over the last year... trouble shooting support as well as warranty have suffered.

For me the problem is Dillon used to be so good that it raised to bar for me.  I knew no matter what, I was going to be taken care of.  Now, they are still very good... it’s just not 100% that I get the answer or result that I want when I call.

I'm curious if, after being asked to pay for 650 parts, you went up the "chain of command" to talk to a supervisor and if you did what their response was.

2 hours ago, tmz said:

Do you mind if I ask what are you referring to as the “cam bolt”

And you mentioned you figured out why it was breaking and the reason it was breaking  ? Thanks 

Yes, figured it out... the cam bolt and S channel didn’t have any grease at all on it.  Some grease really smoothed that up and took care of the issue.

There is a thread in the forum just under this one that reads RL1050 issues... Dillon rep  commented there... but a friend of mine came over and informed me before.

2 hours ago, ddc said:

I'm curious if, after being asked to pay for 650 parts, you went up the "chain of command" to talk to a supervisor and if you did what their response was.

I didn’t... not even sure why.  If that happens again I will.  

i have found many times when calling for parts and issues with many companies it depends on who you get on the phone.  one call might get a person that say no to everything. hang up and call again another person answers might give you the whole shop for free.