Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Grip, digging my thumb

streckjc

Does anyone else have issues with the way the P320X5 grip has that raised section at the back of the grip before the beavertail?

I found that it digs into my thumb and thumb knuckle during firing and makes the pistol really difficult to shoot with comfortably. I've taken it to my smithie to grind it down as well as round off the hard edges of the beavertail on that side as well which also dig into my hand.

I saw the new X-Compact no longer has that section of the grip, which I bet was part of the feedback they received. Just curious to see who else might have this issue.

SG320X5.jpg

I have the same issue with that spot. Trying to get over it by tweaking my grip slightly. If that doesn’t do it, I’ll go back to my other guns which would be a shame because I like everything else about the X5. I asked phil strader about it at shot. He said the xcompact doesn’t have it but there are no plans to get rid of it on the other models because there are very few complaints about it. He said it’s a cosmetic thing to make the high bore axis look less extreme.  

On 3/24/2019 at 8:53 AM, hitman_usmc said:

I have the same issue with that spot. Trying to get over it by tweaking my grip slightly. If that doesn’t do it, I’ll go back to my other guns which would be a shame because I like everything else about the X5. I asked phil strader about it at shot. He said the xcompact doesn’t have it but there are no plans to get rid of it on the other models because there are very few complaints about it. He said it’s a cosmetic thing to make the high bore axis look less extreme.  

My smithie really did a great job smoothing the hard edges on the beaver tail and removing the thicker part circled in my original post and blend it into the frame. Way better now.

22 hours ago, streckjc said:

My smithie really did a great job smoothing the hard edges on the beaver tail and removing the thicker part circled in my original post and blend it into the frame. Way better now.

How does the polymer tolerate the reduction/smoothing? Does it need to be refinished, or does the color go all the way through?

8 hours ago, BobRockefeller said:

How does the polymer tolerate the reduction/smoothing? Does it need to be refinished, or does the color go all the way through?

It's black and the way through, and can be sanded, smoothed, and even polished to an extent. No issues there

11 hours ago, BobRockefeller said:

I'll grab a better picture of what it looks like now and post it so you can see it. But As Dingo said, it's black all the way through and has no issues being sanded down.

Here's what it looks like from a picture I already had when I got it home. You can compare it to the initial image I posted at the beginning of the thread.

X5_Closeup.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did the same thing to my x5 and took it down with a dremel tool.

I think it is a hand size thing. My 2011's dig into my hand there too and I always try to round off the edges of the grip safety and thumb safety.

I used my Dremel with sanding drums to contour mine. I started with 320, 400, 600 and finished hand sanding it with 1000 and 1200 grit sandpaper.

Its more comfortable now compared to stock.

I took mine off on my x-carry frame. It was mostly digging into my lower knuckle from working the slide catch. I haven't gotten around to doing it on my x-5 though, would this be legal for production? I know you can do some minor changes to the grip but not a lot

• 3 months later...