Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther Q5 Match SF *WITH ADJUSTABLE TRIGGER SYSTEM* - MIND BLOWN !

WatchFan1

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Will you guys at least glance at the USPSA rulebook every so often instead of repeating outdated info?

Aftermarket giant hot pink drag race hammers, safeties, and triggers have been legal for a full year now.

(You can toss anything you want onto a Production division gun, funnel the mag opening, and grind the finger grooves off your undercut Glock frame, too.)

this trigger removed the trigger safety

13 minutes ago, metricgoods said:

Unless it's tucked under the new trigger shoe. You can't tell from any pics i have seen. 

46 minutes ago, metricgoods said:

I had to go googling in a fit of disbelief.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/03/19/iwa-2019-walther-ppq-series-expert-drop-trigger-kit/

I’m slightly astonished anyone would run that, or that they’d produce it. Liability wise, this seems like a questionable idea.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

15 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I had to go googling in a fit of disbelief.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/03/19/iwa-2019-walther-ppq-series-expert-drop-trigger-kit/

I’m slightly astonished anyone would run that, or that they’d produce it. Liability wise, this seems like a questionable idea.

Especially since it’s explicitly not drop safe. 

I guess if they're smart about specifically marking it for competition only, they might be okay... but the thought of carrying with that trigger is terrifying. That’s like carrying a series 70 1911 with the grip safety pinned and the thumb safety off. 

There’ still an internal drop safety with the striker block.  Verify it does not release striker if dropped/hit with mallet if concerns.   Walther has released a factory version including the expert trigger, not the Champion, but Q5 Expert. 

https://www.carl-walther.com/products/defense-guns/pistols/2840766.html. Likely only available in Europe, not sure if that affects USPSA ruling, but is on a factory model.   

21 hours ago, Zmaniac said:

There’ still an internal drop safety with the striker block.  Verify it does not release striker if dropped/hit with mallet if concerns.   Walther has released a factory version including the expert trigger, not the Champion, but Q5 Expert. 

https://www.carl-walther.com/products/defense-guns/pistols/2840766.html. Likely only available in Europe, not sure if that affects USPSA ruling, but is on a factory model.   

From page 3 of the user manual linked on Walther’s site:

”WARNING

Pistols equipped with an Expert Trigger are specially made
for sport shooting. Due to their design, sport pistols are not equipped with the same level of drop safety as service pistols. Do not drop your sport
pistol. Handle it with extra care.”

For me the issue is not so much the drop safety but the lack of trigger safety. If any part of that trigger touches anything in the holster then the gun will discharge. With the original (and the Apex) trigger the trigger safety also must be pressed to discharge. 

Its possible to get around a 2lb trigger pull with the Q5, it would not take much to put a bullet down your leg with this setup.

On 5/17/2019 at 1:02 PM, BritinUSA said:

Its possible to get around a 2lb trigger pull with the Q5, it would not take much to put a bullet down your leg with this setup.

I agree.  This is going to be an issue for them.  I liked the Apex in my former PPQs. 

So i would be very surprised if the trigger safety is eliminated entirely - the shoe clearly looks hinged, so its possible there is a trigger safety that is just difficult to see from the available public pictures.

With that being said, back in march at one of our local IDPA matches, Walther came out and brought a Q5 SF for use as a stage gun. I asked their rep about this upgraded trigger and he mentioned the drop safety issue. His commentary was that the trigger would likely become something that consumers would need to send their guns in to Walther to be fitted for, although obviously that kind of thing is not set in stone.

27 minutes ago, random_guy7531 said:

So i would be very surprised if the trigger safety is eliminated entirely - the shoe clearly looks hinged, so its possible there is a trigger safety that is just difficult to see from the available public pictures.

Read the article I linked, above, from someone who handled one directly.

There’s no longer a trigger safety.

10 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Read the article I linked

So I did read it, but I couldn't tell if that info was actually the truth (i.e. was confirmed by Walther), or was merely conjecture on the part of that author. I was leaning towards the latter FWIW considering the provided explanation. Ill admit, considering that the product hasn't become available, and it seems like references to it elsewhere from Walther are disappearing, I'm inclined to agree with you/the author. Still, in the back of my head I have a hard time believing that Walther - who has been going after the competition market heavily - would not perform that minor amount of due diligence/engineering/testing.

• 5 weeks later...

Update,

I just purchased a new Walther Q5 SF today 6-19-19.  There is still no updated flat trigger option from Walther.  The only change from the initial model and now is that they cut and pinned the back side of the grip for any enlarged magwell.  Previously, you had to notch your own in order for it to marry up to the backside of the grip.  Excellent firearm non the less

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the Q5 Sf and the SF Pro??

I keep looking and do not see the difference... I understand that the adjustable trigger is a separate thing...

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Hany said:

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the Q5 Sf and the SF Pro??

I keep looking and do not see the difference... I understand that the adjustable trigger is a separate thing...

Thanks.

Magwell and +2 basepads.  That is it. 

Thanks for the answer!   I gotta say the Steel frame has been intriguing me since the SHOT show... I carried, and Instructed with a standard PPQ for all of 2016, (added a straight apex trigger) shot 24k rounds through it that year and still like the gun, though I have moved on to other projects...   for me, I think the PPQ SF Pro, with just a straight Apex trigger sounds just about perfect to me.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a bit of a problem with this whole discussion. If I'm not entirely mistaken, you would need to rack the slide for the Expert trigger to be dangerous. Who would even consider carrying with the slide racked, or have the gun racked on the bedside table? Racking the slide should - in my opinion and for safety reasons - be done while raising the gun to the perceived threat, not before. That said, I have also always been curious as to the perceived safety of the trigger safety function. If the trigger hooks onto something, in my thoughts, the trigger safety would might just as well be hooked onto, and boom goes the shot.

On 2/20/2022 at 6:26 AM, Rocambole said:

I have a bit of a problem with this whole discussion. If I'm not entirely mistaken, you would need to rack the slide for the Expert trigger to be dangerous. Who would even consider carrying with the slide racked, or have the gun racked on the bedside table? Racking the slide should - in my opinion and for safety reasons - be done while raising the gun to the perceived threat, not before. That said, I have also always been curious as to the perceived safety of the trigger safety function. If the trigger hooks onto something, in my thoughts, the trigger safety would might just as well be hooked onto, and boom goes the shot.

??? "who would even consider carrying with the slide racked" ?? are you on the correct forum?