Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Force speed to be fast

BoyGlock

Been doing it in dry fire in all my drills since a month or so ago and seeing positive results. Have to force myself to operate outside my normal pace. Made errors along the way but think its normal when in new territory. I believe everyone have been on the same learning boat?

Have you listened to Steve Anderson's podcast on speed mode? It gives good ideas and insights into this training idea.

The idea is to give up paying close attention to your accuracy but work on speed solely. Then as you get used to that speed and it becomes the new normal, accuracy will start becoming more prominent as it becomes routine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, thouston406 said:

Have you listened to Steve Anderson's podcast on speed mode? It gives good ideas and insights into this training idea.

The idea is to give up paying close attention to your accuracy but work on speed solely. Then as you get used to that speed and it becomes the new normal, accuracy will start becoming more prominent as it becomes routine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes. And also to Stoeger’s. But A lot of us including me dont like to commit errors w/c prevent us from pursuing this. Im A class for years and its obvious to me that speed is my biggest hurdle. Then I decided to force the issue in my training and it seemed to pay off. Im not the speediest guy I want to be yet at 58yo but Im improving my par times in Df and Lf drills though just bit by bit, w/c I think is just right. 

No, not everyone will push past their existing limits.

But to improve you have to.  Just make sure you are not ignoring fundamentals, other wise you will be training to repeat bad habits.

I think it was in Brian's book where he wrote, you have to learn to see faster, quicker. (I'm sure it was stated better but his book is packed away for remodeling).

Edited by pskys2

I have always been in a similar situation. I really struggle trying to push speed in live fire practice. For me, it almost feels like you’re completely ignoring the fundamentals. As you said, it is necessary to get faster though. I will say that running Bill Drills has helped me a lot to understand what it feels like to shoot at that pace. 

Yes not everyone will and only a few dare to. Maybe its why, not everyone shoot to his/her best possible capabilities. Also each of us have different routes to betterment. 

But the worst advice was the “slow down to get your hits” and a lot including me were willing victims to this. Been in A in Std. For yrs, and in Open again for yrs. never got to get better. Everytime I ventured out of my comfort zone such mantra pops out to rein me back. Been a long time to be dumb. 

Edited by BoyGlock

I think you have to change to speedmode in training quite often. Push your times down, not matter what. When your 100% gets faster, your clean 70% at matchmode get faster too. At least thats my understanding.

I think, thats why your drills in andersons book give you slow warmup -> reps slower your normal time -> reps at your Speed -> and always reps faster than your comfort zone.

Over time, the times go down. Your fast times get normal, your slow times become the fast times from yesterday.

The last Zombie match I shot, there was a competitor "on my a$$" for the entire match - he'd

do better for a couple stages, and I did better a couple other.

I consciously, for the first time in my 66 years of shooting, sped up past my comfort zone.

At the end of the first stage, I KNEW that I had missed a couple shots and was SURPRISED

to find NO MISSES.  

So, I kept at it, shooting faster than I knew how but trying to hold onto accuracy.   Don't know

if he knew it, or tried the same thing, but it worked for me.   No misses during the match, and I

edged him by a very few points.

Felt GOOD     :cheers:

On 3/3/2019 at 5:07 PM, hlpressley said:

I have always been in a similar situation. I really struggle trying to push speed in live fire practice. For me, it almost feels like you’re completely ignoring the fundamentals. As you said, it is necessary to get faster though. I will say that running Bill Drills has helped me a lot to understand what it feels like to shoot at that pace. 

Part of going fast is knowing when you CAN skimp a bit on the fundamentals. You don't need two clear sight pictures to shoot Alphas on a 3 yard target. 

As you improve that distance where you can do things like shoot target focused or with a flash sight picture will expand out. 

• 4 weeks later...

All awesome posts! I think you have to find your "Red line" to know what your %100 feels like. Then work in your 80 to 90 range until you increase your 100%. Then your 110 becomes your 100 and it just keeps going. If all those numbers make sense. :)

• 3 months later...

At the moment I unintentionally devised a cof drill that tend to help develop my speed:

Midrange targets. 1 mini popper as activator, 1 paper target in a fast swinger, 1 full target and 1 mini papers as options. Swinger is 15y away and abt 4y to the right of activator. 2 options abt 2-3y to the left. Full target at 7y. Mini is a bit farther at 10y.

Open 2011 .38s major. At timer signal, draw shoot activator, 2 option targets, last is swinger. Been doing this for a few days now. Initially I had to point shoot the option targets and chased the swinger at first exposure. And missed a lot. As of yesterday I was aiming As on all targets. Had an all A hits in 3.39 secs. Aiming or not, my times were in 3.2-3.5 range. But my key is calling every shot at speed to have time to aim and shoot in a controlled manner specially at the mini and swinger. Far from being good at it but Im seeing some improvement here. 

Eta. Swinger forces me considerably in speeding up the whole process

Edited by BoyGlock

• 1 month later...