Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Pistol Powder for Dillon Auto Powder system?

I am just sorting things out w/rl550c and noticed some variation in powder weights using flakey 700x powder. How much variation is normal? Is the powder type critical to powder measure accuracy? Is there a better choice of powder for 9mm/125gr coated bullets that will work with the Dillon Auto Powder system? Thanks.

Accurate #2 is the best metering powder there is, but it is a very fine ball powder that some powder measures will leak using.  If it doesn't leak too much for you it will be extremely consistent, clean and soft, not to mention very accurate.  IMHO, one of the best pistol powders.  

Well, just today I was seeing variation from 2.9 gr to 4.0 on the same setting. Brand new digital scale, using the same shell, set the tare, run it through the machine, weigh it, check the tare again and repeat test again. Lots of completed rounds back in the parts bin after a suspicious test. 

I will say that I have noticed that any change in the height of the powder tower, as seen in the amount of flare, has an effect on the powder charge. Keeping the nut tight on the powder system helps with accurate metering.  But even cranked tight, it still varies quite a bit.

3 hours ago, xtian999 said:

Well, just today I was seeing variation from 2.9 gr to 4.0 on the same setting. Brand new digital scale, using the same shell, set the tare, run it through the machine, weigh it, check the tare again and repeat test again. Lots of completed rounds back in the parts bin after a suspicious test. 

I will say that I have noticed that any change in the height of the powder tower, as seen in the amount of flare, has an effect on the powder charge. Keeping the nut tight on the powder system helps with accurate metering.  But even cranked tight, it still varies quite a bit.

You aren't doing something right. With the failsafe rod, pull it ALL the way down, then tighten the nut to where when the handle is pushed forward to seat a primer, there is little to no space between the coils of the spring. Secondly, make sure the powder bar is actuating the full amount back and forth. If it isn't, adjust the height of the powder measure until the powder bar goes flush with the housing on the full down stroke of the handle.

Your failsafe rod and powder actuator should look like this in the resting position.

1551135941309186560548815480674.jpg

I found 700x to be inconsistent in drops, switched to titegroup after trying a couple powders and have had nothing but almost perfect powder drops on Dillon.

Right now going through some Sport Pistol and find it is also very consistent in the charge weights and I’m picky. I randomly check weights during a reload session to see if there’s been any change and both of those powders always drop right on. If I want 3.3 I get that, while 700x would vary at least .2 from drop top drop. 

BTW Sport Pistol is working really well after a thousand rounds, definitely cleaner, a little less smoke, and recoil pulse exactly the same. 

Note; I polished inside of hopper powder funnel, the metal part under the plastic powder tube/magazine. I think it helps smooth the powder flow to the measure. 

Edited by HesedTech

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

You aren't doing something right. With the failsafe rod, pull it ALL the way down, then tighten the nut to where when the handle is pushed forward to seat a primer, there is little to no space between the coils of the spring. Secondly, make sure the powder bar is actuating the full amount back and forth. If it isn't, adjust the height of the powder measure until the powder bar goes flush with the housing on the full down stroke of the handle.

Your failsafe rod and powder actuator should look like this in the resting position.

1551135941309186560548815480674.jpg

Grumpy, I just checked my Dillon manual and the orientation of the failsafe rod is different from the picture you posted. Here is the picture from the manual.

C5-D2-D285-7605-44-A9-A255-815-B7-CDC858

19 minutes ago, George16 said:

Grumpy, I just checked my Dillon manual and the orientation of the failsafe rod is different from the picture you posted. Here is the picture from the manual.

Try adjusting like I have mine and then check your powder throws.

39 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Try adjusting like I have mine and then check your powder throws.

I don’t have any problem with my powder throws. They had been consistent since I bought my Dillon seven years ago. 

I had been using Win 231 for 9mm and Varget for 308 and no problems with either powder.

W231 / HP 38.  been using these for years.. Meters very well in any powder measure.  Also used Winchester WSF.  That also meters very well.  Really, any ball based powder should flow/meter well.  Stay away from the tube/rod shaped powders.  Not sure there are many of those for pistol, but those tend to vary a bit in my experience.

Thank you for the advice. Was Rube Goldberg on the design team, or just a consultant? This reminds me of the days when a guy who could fix a Holley carb could name his price, Now it is the chips that make a car run. So where is the place for the chip on this thing?

I agree with Grumpyone on the orientation of the failsafe rod. Not sure about Dillon pictures.. 700x has a long history of poor metering because it doesn't flow well. Any of the ball powders are better and Sport Pistol (not a ball powder) is proving to meter well also in both my 650 and 1050. I'm running both machines with Mark 7's pretty fast and see no inconsistency of powder drops with any ball powder or SP.

OK. I re-read the manual a few times, studied the pics, and set it up as shown by G.O. The powder bar makes the whole trip across now and the measures are way more consistent than before. Not perfect, but better. Still going to buy that new powder when I find any around town.

Thank you fellas for the help. Dillon gets a wet noodle for the misleading photo. My confidence in this Kluge-tastic, Cantankerous Contraption is somewhat restored.

15 hours ago, George16 said:

My fail safe rod is a custom built one. I had problems with the S bend one binding up on the new type measures, so I made a new one. It is threaded on the other side (at the powder measure) and has a nylok nut on it. The far end is just threaded like the original. 

Why fight with the Dillon powder bar type of powder thrower, and not use the powder that you want to use?

The RCBS drum type powder thrower, with micrometer adjustment and a case activated linkage installed on the Dillon head works with all types of powder, including rifle extruded powders. And no fighting with the failsafe rod and such. I have 2 RCBS throwers, one for pistol and one for rifle, and leave the case activated linkage on the head, and swap the powder measure back a forth. That way the only adjustment needed is the amount of powder for the specific load you are doing...

Just a thought...

jj

I am new at this. For some reason, I thought that the stock hardware had been well sorted by the manufacturer. Lol. Now I see that it is just a departure point for endless tinkering and kitchen table inventions (insert your favorite beer here). Well, I’ll be off to the corner store to ponder the latest snafu...