Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Pistol Powder for Dillon Auto Powder system?

My 6-pack inspired solution: A simple threaded-eye end yoke would solve the binding on the upper end of the failsafe. I think they cost about $1.50 plus a few washers and a pin. Toss out the farkakte s-rod and cut a section of threaded rod to length and re-use the lower end hardware. Maybe someone out there will put a few together and make a few bucks.

I had some inconsistencies, it ended up being the fail safe rod wasn’t adjusted properly. I got it all sorted out and haven’t had any issues since. I even went as far as polishing the powder bar but had the same results until I adjusted the rod tension. Apparently I wasn’t getting a full swing all of the time and it would jump .3-4gns 

20 hours ago, xtian999 said:

My 6-pack inspired solution: A simple threaded-eye end yoke would solve the binding on the upper end of the failsafe. I think they cost about $1.50 plus a few washers and a pin. Toss out the farkakte s-rod and cut a section of threaded rod to length and re-use the lower end hardware. Maybe someone out there will put a few together and make a few bucks.

I just bought a new rod in the same diameter, heated and bent where needed, and I had a die, so I cut threads in it. Simple simple.

I’ve used the old style with the return springs for about fifteen years with no problems,been using the new style for about three or four years and have not had any issues. Dillon does have some maintenance called out for it which consist of lube/grease in three or four areas on the powder measure. I do like the design old style powder dispenser better but both has worked well for me.

Another thing, as long as we are on the topic: A grinding, crunching of metal can be felt and heard when cycling the handle. The S-shaped portion of the failsafe rod pulls the plates together on the edgy sides of the stampings, not the smoother, rounded sides. The result is like a scissor action that is not only a bit annoying, it also masks other potential interfereances like an off-indexed primer seating punch (already crunched one) or a mis-aligned shells or bullets in the setting die (crunched af few). If the plates met on the smooth sides or had a teflon washer between them or were polished flat on the inside, they would be less balky. Anything to make the cycle smoother would make the process safer, right?

Edited by xtian999
Spelng

On 3/3/2019 at 8:23 PM, Sparten8654 said:

This would take to long to write so im including the link of how to make the dillon more accurate on powder drops... Since i shoot bullseye match also i have be extremely accurate

http://uniquetek.com/free_tips_files

go to the first file awesome tips

Best link ever! Thank you! Should be in the Dillon manual.

Not only did I put  a rubber band on where the return string used to be, but I also added a micrometer to the powder drop and completely polished the inside of the funnel and even the powder bar.  Then I put  powder funnel in tumbler to hone everything. Be consistent on how filled the powder hopper is. I only let the hopper make to half filled mark and then add powder  that way there is always a compression of the powder. Due to loading bullseyes rounds the drops need to be precise. I have found doing those steps everything from trail boss,to 700x is consistent