• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 years later...

Since this is alive again, updated answer to the question can you deal directly with h&m for nitride finishing on one gun order? Or do you go through a distributor? I don’t see anywhere on hm site that shows a cost 

3 hours ago, Shmella said:

Since this is alive again, updated answer to the question can you deal directly with h&m for nitride finishing on one gun order? Or do you go through a distributor? I don’t see anywhere on hm site that shows a cost 

I emailed them last week that exact question but did not get a response. But I THINK I remember reading they will take individual jobs on.

• 3 weeks later...

I had H&M black nitride 2 handguns the finish is beautiful and hard and durable . Had to modify one of the parts tried with a hand file  it didn't do anything, used a bench grinder to get thru the finish.  I say it is pretty durable. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2022 at 1:36 PM, Sarge said:

I emailed them last week that exact question but did not get a response. But I THINK I remember reading they will take individual jobs on.

Did you send your grip to H&M?

Did you have to go thru a 2nd party or sent it directly to them?

Planning on sending a frame and slide for black nitriding

thanks,

Mark

Edited by Stmark73

2 hours ago, Stmark73 said:

Did you send your grip to H&M?

Did you have to go thru a 2nd party or sent it directly to them?

Planning on sending a frame and slide for black nitriding

thanks,

Mark

Never got a response to two separate emails. I sent it to a local cerakote guy

On 12/6/2022 at 6:15 AM, echotango said:

Try their other location. 

The nearest H&M near me is in AZ which is a 4hr drive. So driving there is not an option. 

However, I called them up and asked them if they do  black nitriding for individuals. They said yes, just send them the part/s you want nitrided with your info and instructions on what to do. $350 for the whole pistol(sand/media blasting is free upon request). 5-7 days business days turn around. 

5 hours ago, aplthird said:

What are the thoughts on the inside of gun barrels ?  Should they be plugged before coating or is it ok to coat the inside.  I know there is no dimensional change. 

Rifle shooters have that done on purpose as the harder surface in theory adds to the life of the bore since many rifle  barrels don’t last very long anyway.

9 hours ago, aplthird said:

What are the thoughts on the inside of gun barrels ?  Should they be plugged before coating or is it ok to coat the inside.  I know there is no dimensional change. 

Nitriding most certainly creates dimensional changes.  Whether the change makes a difference is up to you to figure out.

Nitriding is also not a coating.

I deal with the effects of nitriding on machined parts for a living.  About 99% of what's being posted as factual here is either partially or completely wrong.

On 12/10/2022 at 1:54 AM, Stmark73 said:

The nearest H&M near me is in AZ which is a 4hr drive. So driving there is not an option. 

However, I called them up and asked them if they do  black nitriding for individuals. They said yes, just send them the part/s you want nitrided with your info and instructions on what to do.

All heat treaters require the customer to tell them what to do.  If you want nitriding they will ask to which specification, what to do about the white layer formation, they want to know what case depth do you want, whether that is total or effective case depth, what case hardness do you want, the alloy that your parts are made of (yes, steel is an alloy), and the through hardness of the steel as received amongst other things.

At least the ones who know what they're doing ask these questions.

4 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

All heat treaters require the customer to tell them what to do.  If you want nitriding they will ask to which specification, what to do about the white layer formation, they want to know what case depth do you want, whether that is total or effective case depth, what case hardness do you want, the alloy that your parts are made of (yes, steel is an alloy), and the through hardness of the steel as received amongst other things.

At least the ones who know what they're doing ask these questions.

I'm no expert in this matter. So I don't have any idea of what specifications I need/want when I send my frame, slide and small parts in. Only thing I know is that I want it black nitrided. I'll most likely go with what H&M would suggest.

6 minutes ago, Stmark73 said:

I'm no expert in this matter. So I don't have any idea of what specifications I need/want when I send my frame, slide and small parts in. Only thing I know is that I want it black nitrided. I'll most likely go with what H&M would suggest.

They know what they are doing with guns. They will do it right

On 12/12/2022 at 4:09 PM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Nitriding most certainly creates dimensional changes.  Whether the change makes a difference is up to you to figure out.

Nitriding is also not a coating.

I deal with the effects of nitriding on machined parts for a living.  About 99% of what's being posted as factual here is either partially or completely wrong.

So if I have the slide of my hand-fitted 1911 nitrided after being direct milled for a red dot, will the slide to frame fit (which is currently a perfect, no-movement smooth and tight fit) be affected in a negative way?  Like will the fit be too tight so it binds or loosen up?  I'm in AZ, so I'm sure my gunsmith will be using H&M.

Edited by Qbert