Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for Mag release button for 2011

JJB05

Hey all.  I was curious for the shooters out there without meathooks for hands, what mag release buttons you use.  I have to adjust my right hand when i go to hit the mag release on a reload and isn't always that smooth.  I have a PT EVO grip and am curious if a mag release button would alleviate the need to readjust my grip.  One like the Shadow 2 looks like what i would need.  Does anyone make one like that? I had an STI oversized mag release button (shown below) but it sticks out a bit too far...i like how it angles backwards just sticks out too far. Thanks in advance.

STI mag.jpg

Edited by JJB05

Hey there. I use a Dawson .265  magazine release. It is tapped for a 4-40 button, but I don’t use it. It works out really well, you don’t have to shift your grip at all. It also dropped right in to my PT frame without any fitting. 

Best of luck,

~T

https://dawsonprecision.com/mag-releases-sti-2011-by-dawson-precision/

29 minutes ago, ARac40 said:

Hey there. I use a Dawson .265  magazine release. It is tapped for a 4-40 button, but I don’t use it. It works out really well, you don’t have to shift your grip at all. It also dropped right in to my PT frame without any fitting. 

Best of luck,

~T

https://dawsonprecision.com/mag-releases-sti-2011-by-dawson-precision/

Thank you sir...will look into that.

egw makes a cheap one that is fairly small and can be angled back.... but my wife and I got away from buttons when we got our PT grips. the reach is a little shorter, and we both had instances where we activated the button while getting a grip on the gun.

stoeger  sez he has to shift his grip to reach the mag button, and he reloads faster than I do, so i figure it may not be that big a deal. Even if it costs me .1 second now and then, it seems to cost a lot more when the magazine unexpectedly pops out.

I ran both the Dawson button and a Limcat button on my Evo grip gun. I kept hitting the button and dropping the mag during course of fire. Ended up just taking the button off mid match and problem solved. I do use the Dawson extended mag catch though to help with the thumb reach. 

My STI eagle came with a paddle like that. IMO it is over kill. You will  bump it with your weak hand while shooting. At least I did.. Changed it out to the slightly bigger round one and an extra power release spring and problem solved. Just the extended button on a 1911 can have problems unless you shim inside or use a longer than normal spring, As you can push too far under stress, and actually catch the mag before it falls out. Then said folks push harder on the button and do the Tactical maraca dance.
Glocks are known for this as well.
Gun in strong hand,  pointed out , fresh mag already in left hand,, while shooter is running to next array and vigoursly shaking the gun with the right.

I do have to say I use a less than typical method to drop mags. On my wide bodies I I use the heel of my left hand, below my thumb,,,  
Basically come off the gun by rotating my left hand up, heel of hand catches mag release, contiune to rotate my hand and my first joint of index finger sweeps down the frontstrap on way to new mag..  This will sweep out any mag that my be partially hanging. Although,, I pretty much make sure my guns and mags are tuned so they dont get stuck.
My right hand never moves.  For me I think it works better as I am not shifting my gun all over and the heel of my left hand is almost right on the button anyways.

On my Single stack guns I use the traditional right thumb method, as they have the small buttons on this.  I still kinda do the sweep thing though.

I tried various buttons and removed them all.  I always had occasional accidental mag drops with them.  Ploy or metal makes no difference.    All of mine are slightly extended and drilled and tapped.  I use them as is; no buttons.

I have used drilled and tapped with a button for years and am finding now as my grip strength has improved that I have been hitting the button and dropping the mag on the clock occasionally. The buttons are coming off as I recall in the past I never had an issue that way. 

53 minutes ago, beta1759 said:

I bought the egw mini paddle ($10). you can pretty much shape it however you want. I haven't had any issues with accidentally hitting it during stages or classifiers.

This mini paddle is great! You can angle it whichever way suits you best to help you reach it without accidentally activating it with support hand...

And it's pretty dang inexpensive compared to most of the other alternatives.

7 minutes ago, wgj3 said:

This mini paddle is great! You can angle it whichever way suits you best to help you reach it without accidentally activating it with support hand...

Yeah, it was my favorite, and I have one on my backup sti edge, and on my 1911's, but on the gun with evo grip, it was still getting accidentally hit sometimes, so I just took it off and never looked back.

23 hours ago, waktasz said:

Dawson low pro. Never an issue with dropping mags unexpectedly and adds just enough that I can hit it without adjusting my grip. For reference I wear a L size glove (or XL in european motorcycle gloves) 

You put that on your Cheely?

On 1/23/2019 at 7:02 PM, wgj3 said:

Never heard f it...will have to look into it.

8 hours ago, Edge40 said:

I use the STI paddle that your having problems with. I too had issues initially. I ended up putting in a heavy mag release spring and angled it up a bit.  That mroblems. Was a bit of tweaking to get it right but it was worth it. 

It would be ok for me if it wasn't extended...i don't need the button out further i need it angled back.  It actually rubs my left palm when i take my grip...it would be prefect if it sat flush against the mag release and not be extended.

Dawson lo-pro or no button. and it's only $12-13 I have thin hands and wear a shmedium glove. Learn how to "flip" or rotate the gun consistently and it won't matter much. I HAVE to flip the gun to hit the button so I am used to it. When I first started shooting my 2011 I got the RHT button. It was very nice quality, but I realized after shooting for some time I was sub consciously afraid of hitting it and was cupping my support hand to stay away from it while firing. I only realize it because it started making my hand cramp a little... get the dawson lo-pro. 

1 hour ago, ezra650 said:

Dawson lo-pro or no button. and it's only $12-13 I have thin hands and wear a shmedium glove. Learn how to "flip" or rotate the gun consistently and it won't matter much. I HAVE to flip the gun to hit the button so I am used to it. When I first started shooting my 2011 I got the RHT button. It was very nice quality, but I realized after shooting for some time I was sub consciously afraid of hitting it and was cupping my support hand to stay away from it while firing. I only realize it because it started making my hand cramp a little... get the dawson lo-pro. 

Could not agree more. I had the extended drilled and tapped Dawson WITH a button and would hit the button on the clock or would change my grip so much that it didn't feel right. Now I use the IDPA length lo pro drilled and tapped or the regular lo pro without button and hit them just fine when I need to. 

2 hours ago, ezra650 said:

Already ordered it...should be here this week.

12 minutes ago, JJB05 said:

Already ordered it...should be here this week.

sweet. You'll be pleased. Might want to put a small drop of blue loctite on the threads. Because there is no screw its not as easy to cinch it down.