Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im super jazzed and super annoyed about this announcement. This is pretty much 100% what ive been wanting and i would be first in line to buy one - except i just got my shadow 2 for carry optics in from czc - so im out too much $$$ to yolo purchase one of these.

Tbh, im surprised that these kind of guns arent more prevalent. Id have thought that 5" steel frame striker guns could have been a consistent (although perhaps low volume) seller for the major players in the competition circles. Look at how many shadow 2s get sold for example.

Edited by random_guy7531
spelling mistakes that bothered me

1 minute ago, random_guy7531 said:

Im super jazzed and supper annoyed about this announcement. This is pretty much 100% what ive been wanting and i would be first in line to buy one - except i just got my shadow 2 for carry optics in from czc - so im out too much $$$ to yolo purchase one of these.

Tbh, im surprised that these kind of guns arent more prevalent. Id have thought that 5" steel frame striker guns could have been a consistent (although perhaps low volume) seller for the major players in the competition circles. Look at how many shadow 2s get sold for example.

Definitely think it will sway some of those who are CZ/tanfo owners to try something else with both production and carry optic ready packages. 

Awesome. I’ve always wondered why there wasn’t a steel framed striker gun. I mean I get why, limited market, but thought it would be awesome. 

Hopefully this his will help control the flippy nature of the polymer Q5. Could be huge. Can’t wait to handle one. 

16 minutes ago, abigger04 said:

Even without the magwell, it’s not legal for production, correct?

Its not legal at this exact moment, but only because they haven't been added to the list. Otherwise though, there's no reason i see it wouldn't be production legal. Just give it 3 - 6 months until dnroi gets to review.

46 minutes ago, abigger04 said:

Gotcha. I wasn’t sure if the slide cuts would disqualify the gun from being production legal. 

The standard Q5, is with similar cuts.

@random_guy7531 you weren’t thinking globally. No one was willing to produce metal striker competition guns because they would only sell in USA. The reason you don’f see Glocks in IPSC is (1) the 34 isn’t production legal, only the 17. And (2) you have to have a 5lb trigger for the first shot. That’s why DA/SA always ruled overseas. No one wants to shoot a Walther/Glock/M&P/XD with a 5lb trigger.

This year they dropped the pull weight to something like 3.0-3.5 and the striker guns aren’t unmarketable anymore. They can sell steel Q5s worldwide to USPSA and IPSC competitiors.

@HoMiE

1 hour ago, Bdh821 said:

My 1 complaint is the magazines. I switched to a X5 from the Q5 based on magazine capacity. Even with extended base plates. I’ll probably end up with a Q5 SF 

PPQ mags are easy to get 23+1 into for carry optics. Run flawlessly. TTI basepad, and a gram’s spring and basepad meant for the P320.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

For someone that’s been eyeing a Steel frame gun this may be a winner. Reliability of striker fire with ready to go trigger without having to send off to a gun smith first thing. Price will be competitive after things settle down. I’ve been running Walther for 2 years now and if realibility is the same it will save money in long run versus other steel guns.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The standard Q5, is with similar cuts.

@random_guy7531 you weren’t thinking globally. No one was willing to produce metal striker competition guns because they would only sell in USA. The reason you don’f see Glocks in IPSC is (1) the 34 isn’t production legal, only the 17. And (2) you have to have a 5lb trigger for the first shot. That’s why DA/SA always ruled overseas. No one wants to shoot a Walther/Glock/M&P/XD with a 5lb trigger.

This year they dropped the pull weight to something like 3.0-3.5 and the striker guns aren’t unmarketable anymore. They can sell steel Q5s worldwide to USPSA and IPSC competitiors.

@HoMiE

PPQ mags are easy to get 23+1 into for carry optics. Run flawlessly. TTI basepad, and a gram’s spring and basepad meant for the P320.

I’ll have to try that tonight!  I already have the TTI base pads and I have a grams spring/ and what I’d assume you meant to say was follower, in a X5 mag. Thanks!

Edited by Bdh821

1 hour ago, PokerNGuns said:

For someone that’s been eyeing a Steel frame gun this may be a winner. Reliability of striker fire with ready to go trigger without having to send off to a gun smith first thing. Price will be competitive after things settle down. I’ve been running Walther for 2 years now and if realibility is the same it will save money in long run versus other steel guns.

What hammer fired gun are you shooting that's unreliable?

3lb trigger is allowed for a striker gun in ipsc. I cant wait to try one. 

It might be a competitive option but in Australia the walthers are way overpriced so maybe not here. The plastic q5 match is a few hundred more than a shadow 2. This will be worse. 

1 hour ago, Bdh821 said:

I’ll have to try that tonight!  I already have the TTI base pads and I have a grams spring/ and what I’d assume you meant to say was follower, in a X5 mag. Thanks!

Corrext. The ultra-slim follower and spring that Grams Engineering sells for the Sig P320.

Shave the tab off the follower that engages the slide stop (it’s shaped completely wrong) and it works wonderfully in a walther mag.

Holds 23 that way, and is *easily* reloadable at 22.

(I haven’t checked mine, but I’ve heard reports that TTI baspads might be a hair too tall ot fit the gauge on some PPQ mags. If a friend has a gauge? Check em.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I was this close to ordering a plastic Q5 match literally 2 days ago, bought a PPS with the Shield dot for carry instead...really glad I did. I was going back and forth between the Sig, the new Zev OZ9 and the Walther...I think this new steel frame is enough to push me over the edge for sure! Anyone know when these will be released?

Also, I wonder what the grip angle is on this...

i just measured it off it off an image and it looks like around 16 degrees so similar to a 1911. 

I guess the other question is what’s the difference between the regular and the “pro” model? Just the magwell? Because if that’s the case, I guess we want the non-pro model.

Edited by Silverscooby27