Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 stages in the same bay

Balakay

I don't like the "shoot one-hot walk-shoot another" bay management. I love short courses and speed shoots, and will regularly put two of them together in a bay, but I like splitting the squad like @motosapiens mentions. Two timers, two scoring devices, two "squads." That is how they did all of them at nationals and it ran perfectly well while giving everyone plenty of time to rehearse their run. 

I actually like the shoot one stay hot shoot the other. we did it quite a bit when i started this game. My $.02 if you cant keep 2, 12 round stages straight in your head how are you ever going to make it through a 32 round stage?

as mentioned above nationals did the split the squad and run 2 program, I found that made it fel more rushed as you had 2 on deck 2 shooting 2 just shot, so it felt rushed to clean and load mags then actually do some taping before you were up again.

We do this allllll the time around here, at all sort of different clubs. Shoot one stage, stay hot, go to next stage, "Make Ready" command, then shoot second stage. 

Unloading everyone and reloading them takes too long, but I sometimes do that because after Make Ready, you can do what you want. 

Not a thing if you shoot revolver or production or single stack.

I've never seen a back to back set up that was not a lot easier to be prepared for than a 32 round stage with some level of memory skill requirement. 

Suck it it up buttercup, :) . 

I did the same exact thing.  Stage 9 and 10.  I did not shoot the target to the left of the 2 swingers on stage 10.  Did not give a lot of attention to stage 10 and completely missed that target on my walk through.  Was giving the most attention to the double swinger on stage 9. 

again i just think it's dumb and needless.  just treat them as two separate and distinct stages and it's no problem at all.  we're dealing with deadly weapons here and doing something different than is done 99% of the time (walking around loaded) just invites an issue (guy whips out loaded gun to make ready...).  plus you're not doing the shooters any favors, especially when you throw a curveball on the 2nd stage.

As I've written previously, I have zero problem with this, because all the clubs I shoot at set up simple stages.  The first will be a speed shoot, or maybe some steel and swingers.  They are always shot from the shooting box- no movement.  The second is always a classifier.  As an RO I can tell you it is much, much faster for the shooter to shoot both stages consecutively.  The shooter finishes the first stage, reloads if necessary, then holsters and locks and moves to the second shooting box.  At Make Ready, there is no rule that says you have to draw the gun to make ready.  The shooter is already ready.  So at Make Ready all they do is assume the correct start position and wait for Standby.

14 minutes ago, davsco said:

again i just think it's dumb and needless.  just treat them as two separate and distinct stages and it's no problem at all.  we're dealing with deadly weapons here and doing something different than is done 99% of the time (walking around loaded) just invites an issue (guy whips out loaded gun to make ready...).  plus you're not doing the shooters any favors, especially when you throw a curveball on the 2nd stage.

I disagree with this sentiment.  doing something different is a large part of this sport, if we wanted same same every time the starts would all be loaded and holstered and we would never have uprange movement or move left to right where a reload could be problematic. To me a large part of the sport is gun awareness and mental management, where am I where is my gun pointed what do I need to do to accomplish the next task, etc. 

21 minutes ago, davsco said:

There is nothing to prevent a shooter from unloading his gun between the two stages if that's what he feels comfortable with. Also nothing preventing him from drawing his loaded gun at Make Ready to take a sight picture or otherwise. 

[emoji3166][emoji3166][emoji3166]23e.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, IRON99 said:

I did the same exact thing.  Stage 9 and 10.  I did not shoot the target to the left of the 2 swingers on stage 10.  Did not give a lot of attention to stage 10 and completely missed that target on my walk through.  Was giving the most attention to the double swinger on stage 9. 

I skipped the same target. Focused on the activator sequence of the first stage

The matches that handled this best, had you start on the longer stage, and the second stage was usually an eight round speed shoot from a box.  That speed shoot could be as simple as four paper, or as complicated as four pieces of steel with dual movers.....

Ive done lots of stages in 1 bay...  Did it in Hawaii every week usually 7 stages.  All stages basically had a parrellell start position.  and each stage an RO..  and just about always used a starting box.
7 shooters went forward stood in box. and stage just went 1,2,3 4.  RO's had a hand signal for clear and or not clear. Worked quick. AT ULSC,  shooter went back to box, RO gave hand signal. Next stage shot... ETC then all 7 stages got scored/ taped at same time

• 1 month later...

My local club has 3 wide bays that we run 6 stages on. 3 teams run 2 stages, one at a time, and then go to the next bay. Doesn’t seem to take more time that going to a different bay for every stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, WarBoom said:

My local club has 3 wide bays that we run 6 stages on. 3 teams run 2 stages, one at a time, and then go to the next bay. Doesn’t seem to take more time that going to a different bay for every stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds fine if that is not forcing you to have really large squads. 

One local club does this a lot with a classifier and speed shoot to add a stage and it usually doesn't hurt the match flow much as otherwise the classifier is done in half the time of the other stages.

It doesn't always seem like it, but it's consistently faster overall to stay with the same shooter than unload one and load another if you only have one set of ROs and scorekeepers (never timed it with two sets.  with self-RO squads, it would probably not work too well).  When it's 100 degrees out, a half hour off the tail end of the match is very welcome.  Splitting the squad makes sense somewhere like an Area match or Nationals, but a weekend club match, why bother?

Ive shot several places with multiple stages in one bay...  HI did 7 stages in one big range..
Way I have seen it, is one ro/scorekeeeper/squad per stage..  Start positions are staggered so stage 1 is forward of 2 and so on... All shooters go to start box at same time stage one shoots, gets cleared by ro,,  then moves shooter behind firing line, next stage shoots,,, clears, on down line. 
Final stage shoots clears..  Range is safe is passed back down line,, all stages get scored at same time.. Squads rotate.