Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone know how to "bulletproof" a red dot scope

zombywoof

I've been thinking about getting more life out of the red dot scope. I see bulletproofing is some advertising. I wonder what the process is. I was talking with some engineers at work and they recommend RTV components to dampen shock. anyone try this? 

Back in the day, I had Beven Grams bulletproof and "brighten" a 7 moa Doctor red dot. My recollection is that Beven re-soldered all the connections, enlarged the light tunnel to get more light to the sensor, and encased the sensor area in clear silicone gel. That was well over a decade ago and it is still in use on a slide mount.

16 hours ago, toothandnail said:

Buy a better quality optic.

16 hours ago, mayassa said:

Buy military Grade A shocked optics.  Or just buy a new one when yours goes bad.

4 hours ago, perttime said:

Get an Aimpoint, if there's a model that suits what you are doing.

Seems as though none of these answer the question! Just a thought.

22 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I've been thinking about getting more life out of the red dot scope. I see bulletproofing is some advertising. I wonder what the process is. I was talking with some engineers at work and they recommend RTV components to dampen shock. anyone try this? 

RTV can really help. I used it on electronic assemblies that were installed in aircraft. In one case, the unit was fairly close to a 23 MM cannon. Look for any components that could possibly move even though they shouldn't. Just stay clear of any adjustment hardware and battery contacts.

23 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I've been thinking about getting more life out of the red dot scope

At the risk of annoying jcc7X7, since it's NOT a direct answer to your question     …..     ?

Seems to me that a $938 ACOG (that you flagged) is probably built tough enough

for just about anything (the ad you listed says that it is, anyway).

Sorry, can't help with the RTV components or bullet proofing a scope, but sounds

like ACOG has already done that for you.     :)   

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

At the risk of annoying jcc7X7, since it's NOT a direct answer to your question     …..     ?

Seems to me that a $938 ACOG (that you flagged) is probably built tough enough

for just about anything (the ad you listed says that it is, anyway).

Sorry, can't help with the RTV components or bullet proofing a scope, but sounds

like ACOG has already done that for you.     :)   

He didn't flag an Acog that's just the forum advertising software at work.  Acog isn't a red dot.

3 hours ago, dapribek said:

I feel as others have mentioned that there is probably no need to bulletproof a new scope if you buy one of the higher quality ones. 

BUT , I want to make this $20 walmart special hold up like my buddies  $500 Brand XX optic. You guys aren't helping any !?

?

Sorry to offend the OP, but many of us have been there, done that, tossed the crappy RDS, and paid the price for a decent one.
That being said even a high dollar one can fail, you will likely cause more damage taking it apart and trying to "fix" it

Edited by toothandnail

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to answer the OP's question, Whitefish (posting #2) pretty much did.  BITD, early red dots were notorious for failing when installed directly on the slide of a semi-auto.  "Bullet-proofing" consisted of, as Whitefish said, disassembling the unit, resoldering all of the connections and "potting" the works in RTV Silicone.   It allowed them to survive the recoil battering.   

Current high quality red dots are far more rugged right out of the box and don't need this type of overhaul and cheap red dots aren't worth the time and trouble.

On 11/4/2018 at 2:36 PM, ChuckS said:

RTV can really help. I used it on electronic assemblies that were installed in aircraft. In one case, the unit was fairly close to a 23 MM cannon. Look for any components that could possibly move even though they shouldn't. Just stay clear of any adjustment hardware and battery contacts.

close to 23 mm cannon?

probably  u are Russian spy. ?