Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PSA 9mm carbine feed issues

I’ve got a buddy who happens to have one of the psa 9mm carbines and he’s at his wits end with a feed issue he’s having. It’s sporadic and he’s about to chuck the thing. 

It’s completely stock. He just did the taccom feed ramp extension and still had the issue. 

The issue hes having is that when chambering a round after firing he ends up with the round pushed up into the top of the receiver like so. 

1rT1FXu.jpg

has anyone seen this?  At this point I’m leaning toward buffer or cyclic rate. This round makes 144 power factor out of the 16 inch barrel so I don’t think it’s an issue with not enough gas. 

Thoughts?

I get that sometimes with a Glock factory mag and 115gr bullets loaded into cases sized with a Dillon sizing die.  The "wasp waist" changes how the round is positioned in the magazine and causes it to jump upward when the bolt hits it.   I do not get this when I am using ETS magazines which form to the "wasp waist" rounds better, or when using 147gr bullets which stretch that "wasp waist" back out when the bullet is seated.  

2 hours ago, Nathanb said:

The issue hes having is that when chambering a round after firing he ends up with the round pushed up into the top of the receiver like so. 

To be sure we are on the same page, after inserting a mag on an empty gun, he gets the pictured jam, correct?

I can get a nearly identical jam if I try to feed the first round off the magazine without the bolt closing at full speed.  Usually happens when I ride the charging handle forward or I'm practicing unloaded starts and don't get the charging handle far enough back to get the bolt returning at full speed.

Have your friend try loading the first round with the bolt locked open and charge the round by hitting the bolt release.

Let us know if that helps.

;

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I have the same problem with one of my PSA PCC's.  It's the forged version of their lower.  I was at my wits end trying to figure it out.  It only happens with 33 round glock mags or 33 round glock mags with Taylor Freelance Extensions. ETS mags or 17 round glock mags load fine.  In the end, I switched to ETS mags and the problem went away. I now use ETS mags wtih MBX mini extensions.  I got tired of trying to figure it out.  Give ETS mags a try, I bet the problem will go away.

What is the aol of the loaded cartridge?You didn't mention if is the Colt or Glock pattern.Did your buddy install a spacer to limit the rearward  bolt travel when fired?I have the Colt pattern and had to send my upper back to PSA to get the enlarged chamber because I bought one of the early production uppers with the smaller chamber.Psa has great customer service!I have fired over 1,500 reloads with the new upper and have not had a single ftf,fte or failure to chamber.This is with a large variety of powders and bullets.

This is actually under speed when it happens. Bang bang bang jam.  It’s intermittent which makes it worse. 

Ill have him look into the ets mags. 

Ill check the oal. These are the same loads he was running in his production gun so didn’t even think about it. 

Glock pattern. Completely stock as it comes from psa. It’s also new production as it’s only a few months old

We had issues with ours and went through several load combinations until we found one that worked in our PSA PCC. 125 Blue Bullets loaded to 1.100 COL is what worked using 3.0 gr of Titegroup. 144 -147 pf also. We also have a glock magazine setup. It seemed to boil down to cycle rate. There is an adjustable buffer you can buy to help except we decided to stick with a stock buffer. I experimented with loads until we got one that worked perfect. Boy though ... we were right there on tossing it away. The aluminum 115gr factory loads from Walmart always ran perfect also. That came in at 159 PF for us though ... too scary on an unsupported chamber at the end. Also there was a batch of chambers that were cut too short. Call PSA to find out if you may have received one of those just to make sure. 

Kind Regards,

Do you know if his PSA barrel is marked "PCC" or has it been throated?  Could it be an earlier PSA barrel with a short throat?

I have several barrels that require I load short.  I also use 147 gr Xtreme RN bullets.  Loaded at 1.085" and they have no problems passing the plunk test.

I do not remember the last time I had a Failure to Feed during a run.  Loading the first round, yes.  But Bang ,Bang, Bang, Jam ..... never.  

One of the (albeit somewhat few) benefits of buying a complete PSA unit and not molesting it is... PSA will fix it/replace it. Instead of chasing the dragon.... why not get in touch with PSA? I bet they take care of your buddy if it's doing it w. factory ammo too. 

I’ll check on the barrel stamping. I’m assuming it’s a newer barrel since it was picked up a few months ago. 

I dont think sending it back has ever crossed his mind. That’s not his style. I don’t view the feed ramp as molesting it since it can be removed but I’m not the manufacturer. The feed ramp did help this to become less frequent though 

Trying to jump through the hoops to get something gun related fixed under warranty is not my style either.  But PSA is different.

A while back I had a new PSA upper fail to lock back the bolt when manually manipulating the bolt catch.  Contacted Palmetto and they arranged return shipping.  Not too long later got back the repaired upper along with one of their (then) new "PCC" marked barrels installed.

Excellent customer service.

On 10/1/2018 at 12:46 AM, stick said:

I have the same problem with one of my PSA PCC's.  It's the forged version of their lower.  I was at my wits end trying to figure it out.  It only happens with 33 round glock mags or 33 round glock mags with Taylor Freelance Extensions. ETS mags or 17 round glock mags load fine.  In the end, I switched to ETS mags and the problem went away. I now use ETS mags wtih MBX mini extensions.  I got tired of trying to figure it out.  Give ETS mags a try, I bet the problem will go away.

Deja Vu !  I also use ETS mags with MBX mini bases, work great!

I have a Joe Bob lower and I am done with Glock mags. The 21rd Magpul work fine also.

On 10/1/2018 at 9:01 PM, Nathanb said:

So just talked to him.

He’s tried factory ammo. 

He’s tried magpul Sgm tactical and factory glock mags. 

His reloads are 147 xtremes loaded to 1.140

Shorter OAL.   Real Short.  Reduce the powder and try 1.1xx   You can get away with RN being longer, but not much and the barrel is short chambered.

Yep, they make take a while, but they'll make it right. It seems like they've realized PCC is the next AR explosion and they don't want to pee in the pool. 

Just tell them to swap it out with one of their upcoming 'premium' models that they've partnered with leadstar on ;)

Edited by Acer2428
  • 5 months later...
On 10/1/2018 at 2:03 AM, DFABOVE said:

What is the aol of the loaded cartridge?You didn't mention if is the Colt or Glock pattern.Did your buddy install a spacer to limit the rearward  bolt travel when fired?I have the Colt pattern and had to send my upper back to PSA to get the enlarged chamber because I bought one of the early production uppers with the smaller chamber.Psa has great customer service!I have fired over 1,500 reloads with the new upper and have not had a single ftf,fte or failure to chamber.This is with a large variety of powders and bullets.

My chamber has a very violent feed ramp, what I mean is that it has sharp angles everywhere on the ramp itself. Why couldn't a gunsmith smooth these out and take the hard angles away?