Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
slavex

Production Optics and Production Optics Light, now IPSC DIvisions from January 1st 2019

at the IPSC General Assembly in Thailand it was voted to approve both divisions put forth, Production Optics and Production Optics Light, with light having a requirement of 1kg weight with optic and empty mag inserted. Still waiting on more info on other rule changes but so far I believe the change to Production trigger weights has also been approved, DA/SA guns will stay at 5lbs for first shot, but striker fired guns will be 3lbs for all shots.

2 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

What's the purpose of Production Optics Light? Confused why that division is needed.

I suppose just to level the playing field between polymer and steel frame guns. But yes, I agree, it's probably not needed and will likely only serve to dilute the other division.  People win matches with both heavy guns and light guns. Having 2 divisions with identical rulesets aside from weight limits seems to be about as self-defeating as possible.

Changing  the trigger pull requirements should have negated the need for two separate PO divisions.

I hear they are now bringing in PCC as well.

IPSC has gone from 5 divisions, to eight at one GA.

6 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

What's the purpose of Production Optics Light? Confused why that division is needed.

So that 26oz polymer kids can’t complain they’re at a disadvantage to 44oz steel ones.

The large tail(USPSA) wagging the small dog(IPSC).  Sorry to hear the news about PCC.  Now foreigners will brag about winning a pistol match shooting a rifle. 

Paul Beck

2 hours ago, paul788 said:

The large tail(USPSA) wagging the small dog(IPSC).  Sorry to hear the news about PCC.  Now foreigners will brag about winning a pistol match shooting a rifle. 

Paul Beck

Yep. 

I really don't get the need to separate polymer and steel. Max Michel is dominating CO with a P320 X5. Do you know why Germany pushed for PO light?

8 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

So that 26oz polymer kids can’t complain they’re at a disadvantage to 44oz steel ones.

I think that might be close to the truth.

I'm shooting PO here in Australia we had 6 competitors at our Nationals in April  ( it took 6 months for the rules to be officially announced ) so a slow uptake but we have only had a bout that number shooting our local and our L3 State matches as well. So I'm not sure if Light will make any difference.

Our problem is mainly availability of OR guns, pretty small market and some silly regs as well IE: minimum barrel length of 120mm and 10 round mags only.     

4 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I really don't get the need to separate polymer and steel. Max Michel is dominating CO with a P320 X5. Do you know why Germany pushed for PO light?

I believe Germany made their own PO trial for this year for plastic guns. It is no surprise that they want "their" PO adopted world wide.

Of course, it is quite possible that one PO or another goes the way of Modified in a few years.

Yeah Fritz was pushing hard for the weight limit due to the so called exclusion of Glock and others from the podium. Apparently we now can expect the money to start flowing into our sport in never before seen volumes.....

18 hours ago, slavex said:

at the IPSC General Assembly in Thailand it was voted to approve both divisions put forth, Production Optics and Production Optics Light, with light having a requirement of 1kg weight with optic and empty mag inserted. Still waiting on more info on other rule changes but so far I believe the change to Production trigger weights has also been approved, DA/SA guns will stay at 5lbs for first shot, but striker fired guns will be 3lbs for all shots.

Did you get more info? The change to Production trigger weights has also been approved?

appears so, 5lb for DA/SA and 3lb for constant triggers like striker fired guns

15 hours ago, PatJones said:

I'd rather shoot modified.

Modified seemed like it was the most freestyle division. 

11 hours ago, slavex said:

appears so, 5lb for DA/SA and 3lb for constant triggers like striker fired guns

And aftermarket triggers allowed

It seems refinishing allowed and the ability to mill slides for Production Optic were also passed.

Edited by terrydoc

On 9/17/2018 at 1:49 AM, paul788 said:

Paul Beck

I thought PCC became a rifle division?

I understood that IPSC PCC became some sort of a standalone that can be patched into anything else. I still see PCC as a pistol with more bulk and stability.

Hello Guy

Obviously G17 qualifies for Optic Light.

Can any one tell me which other pistols ?

Gun + mag + optic must come in at 1 kg