Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 - Rounds jamming after crimping station

I have had an issue for some time on one of my 650s where rounds stick as they are getting ejected after the crimping station. After crimping and as the machine indexes, the round starts to exit the shell plate into the bin but it gets stuck and prevents the machine from cycling. The round starts to lean and gets stuck between the shell plate and the wire which guides it to the bin. The solution is to stop cycling the handle and stand the round straight up and continue. For some reason, the frequency of this happening has recently gone from every now and then to many times per 100 rounds. Although I've tried some things that seem to improve it--occasionally press the wire down into position when creeps up, etc--I haven't seemed to find the real solution. Have others seen this issue and what solutions have you used?

4 minutes ago, BadShot said:

Messed around with this for quite a while.  I got one of these and haven't had a problem since:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-650-Ejector-wire-FIX-NEW-Upgrade-fix-for-ejector-wire-13298-problems-/253584738710

Dillon-650-Ejector-wire-FIX-NEW-Upgrade-fix-for-ejector-wire-13298-problems

I'll give it a try. I have several aftermarket additions to this press (including the shell plate bearing shown in one of the pictures), I'll try this one too.

3 minutes ago, DKnoch said:

I don't have first hand experience, but I've heard if you have shellplate bearing kit, you have to raise the ejector wire. You can probably bend it yourself

And only run one of the washers that come with the kit. 

On 8/30/2018 at 11:50 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

@kmc if you have a bearing kit and have not bent the ejector wire to hit the brass as high as it used to, we’ve found the source of your problem.

I'm not sure I understand. I've noticed the problem seems to be worse when the ejector wire rides too high. When I press it back down into the hole, the problem goes away for some time. I did try bending a previous wire but it never really seemed to fix it. Perhaps I didn't bend it properly...

4 hours ago, kmc said:

I'm not sure I understand. I've noticed the problem seems to be worse when the ejector wire rides too high. When I press it back down into the hole, the problem goes away for some time. I did try bending a previous wire but it never really seemed to fix it. Perhaps I didn't bend it properly...

I agree. I bent mine down slightly in the middle. Keeps the wire low and I have not had an issue since.

I had already ordered the ebay upgrade so I'm not going to bend my wire at this time. I replaced my ejector wire with a plastic upgrade part. 1,000 rounds this weekend, not a single bind...

IMG_4714.JPG

19 hours ago, DDRanch said:

Guess I'll try one out.  Been having same problem with my 650 running 9mm lately.  Even tried a new ejector wire and problem does not go away.  Any ideal what is the difference between his two versions?

With one of my tool heads it has worked fine.

Strange thing is I was setting up another tool head for a different load & powder, still 9mm, and no matter what I did it still jams/tilts going into the first shell plate opening & into the Lee decapper/sizer die. Tried 2 different dies/brands & the same.. This is an aftermarket tool head with the screws holding it place.

Changed the tool head out to a Dillon and it works fine. I think the dimensions on the one aftermarket tool head are off. Maybe check or try replacing the tool head itself.

gerritm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How tight should the shell plate be after installing the washer under?  If I hand tight it all the way up, I have primer misalignment issue.  If I loose it a bit, I have case crushing issue.  Trying to figure out if there is an optimal tightness of the shell plate with the washer. 

Push down on the edge of the shellplate at station 4. If it feels springy, then the shellplate bolt is too loose. The shellplate should still index clockwise with light effort.

It helps to grease the top of the shellplate where the bolt head contacts it. After properly adjusting the shellplate bolt, remember to snug the brass-tipped set screw to prevent

the bolt from tightening as the shellplate rotates.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...