Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics tips/advice?

nelson1each

So I have a g17 that I’m thinking about setting up for carry optics for the wife. Leaning towards a delta point since Leupold does some nice military discounts. Wondering what dot size most recommend (I run a 6 moa on my open gun but see the dpp sizes are different) any newbie carry optics tips/advise welcome. Thanks

This is more personal preference than single best answer, otherwise all the manufacturers would sell the same thing. Everyone will have an opinion. Do you have access to anyone who already has either or both that you could try?

Total “buy what I use” post:

FF3 8 MOA with the Burris dovetail mount. 

I’ve been extremely happy with the setup, and no permanent modifications had to be made. 

I’m shooting a gen 4 17. 

2 hours ago, Stuey said:

I recommend look through different ones and seeing what you like. They all have little differences. Some like Leupold, others Sig and I like Vortex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Stuey and I both said! Except, Stuey, no mention of the RMR? Sacrilege!

I bought both Deltapoint Pro models, the 2.5 MOA dot on my open G35 and the 7.5 MOA triangle on my wife's XD 9. Wasn't sure which one I'd like, but we each prefer what we have over our spouse's set up.

I used the old delta points with the 7.5 delta for years .

So when the DPP came out I needed another dot and bought another 7.5 works great etc.

Then like Memphis said "the 2.5 moa is an amazing dot" I picked up another one used from a friend who was going back to limited.

Now I believe the 2.5 is an easier dot to use for uspsa and steel. either will work but I now prefer the 2.5

Edited by jcc7x7

A couple of Front Sight issues back they did the equipment survey and the delta pro was the top choice.  I also looked at quite a few you tube videos about the delta pro and based on all that I bought one.  I’ve had it for about 6 months so far I made a good choice.  Also if you scout around the price ain’t too bad.  

Good info thanks guys. Think I’ll get her the 2.5 dot. Was concerned it could be too small of a dot considering I shoot a 6moa on my rts2. I did have the 7.5 moa triangle back in the day and that thing was ridiculous big. Another random question...I have a 34 and a 17 I could have milled to setup for CO...seems to me the longer 34 vs the 17 would be a mute point as the sight radius length doesn’t matter so that’s why I was thinking 17. But then maybe less recoil with the 34....Any input on this guys?

Mute point for either gun with dot.  I have both the 17 and 34, I also shoot production too so I had the 17 done because the longer sight radius is better with the 34.  Another thing i did was buy a slide from brownells and had it milled for the optic.  That way I kept my original slide in case I ever wanted to sell or use as a backup for production.  

I did my original Gen 3 G17 CO gun with a used Doctor 7 moa dot (bullet-proofed by Grams) on a Springer dovetail mount. It has worked out very well for 2 years now. As more or less an experiment, I put a DeltaPoint Pro 7.5 MOA on a Gen 3 G34 with a Leupold dovetail mount as a back-up CO gun. Both guns work for the job and I do not notice a great deal of difference between the G17 and G34. The G17 seems to transition slightly faster and the G34 handles recoil slightly better. The DeltaPoint Pro sits slightly higher on the slide because of its size, but has a much bigger glass. The delta 7.5 moa dot is bigger, but works well after one gets used to it and the brightness can be adjusted, whereas the Doctor is auto-brightness. Both do well either in bright sunshine or cloudy conditions. I guess the choice in both gun and sight amounts to personal preference. For now, I am still using the G17 with Doctor as my primary CO gun if that is an indicator in my preference.

Yes to the other's advice; you HAVE to try it for yourself/personal preference on:

1. Dot size - I prefer small dots (1-3MOA), period.  Even on pistols.  On steel/paper.  Near/far targets.  Most other people prefer big dots (6-12MOA)

2. Offset is important.  It affects biomechanics/comfort/whereandhowyouholdyourpistol/your personal ability to acquire the dot from draw and from target-to-target.  Different sights sit lower/higher on different guns/slide cuts.  This is VERY important, to me (I prefer CZs+irons but Glocks+MRD because of the higher offset/slideheight on CZs - I don't prefer it).

3. I've tried Burris FF1,2,3/RMR/Leupold/Shield, etc.  Figure out what your purpose is.  I prefer robust sights, comp or otherwise.  Some of these sights (or even RMR gen 1 vs gen 2) are more robust than others.  Price point doesn't necessarily dictate longevity.  Different platforms break different sights more effectively.  The FF3 and Leupold sights are both options to look at, esp if you have a Leup MIL discount.

4. Figure out if the tint will bother you.  I like Triji scopes but not their MRDs because of the green tint in low-light (night matches, hunting, etc.).  

5 hours ago, Whitefish said:

The G17 seems to transition slightly faster and the G34 handles recoil slightly better. 

Yes to the above.  G17 points/transitions/handles faster, G34 side by side with the same load has softer felt-recoil.  Source: I shoot a lot of Glocks and other guns (lol how vague).

Hope all of the above helps.

I use a g34 with a trijicon rm06 rmr 3.25moa, viewing window is not as big as a ddp but the battery life and durability is amazing.

Mostly use the rmr because my carry is a g19 with the same rmr.

I think you should look into the cmore rts or sts.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm setting up my G34 Gen5 for CO as well, and ended up going with the 2.5 MOA DPP.  Lots of options, but I like the C-More on my PCC due to the larger window and thought that it would be beneficial to have a larger window for this as well.  I also considered the Vortex Venom, but it looked so small next to the DPP that I decided not to. 

The size of dot you choose is probably going to come down to personal preference, but I went with the 2.5 MOA because my C-More is 8MOA, which I regretted really fast at the Lucas Oil match.  Up close, those larger dots are really nice to find quickly, but once you start getting out to 25+ yards, they completely obscure smaller targets.  The DPP gets pretty bright and I don't seem to have any additional issues finding it quickly despite the smaller dot size, and actually preferred it working the plate rack at 25 yards on our club training bay.  YMMV, GL!

On 9/14/2018 at 7:04 AM, fbzero said:

I'm setting up my G34 Gen5 for CO as well, and ended up going with the 2.5 MOA DPP.  Lots of options, but I like the C-More on my PCC due to the larger window and thought that it would be beneficial to have a larger window for this as well.  I also considered the Vortex Venom, but it looked so small next to the DPP that I decided not to. 

The size of dot you choose is probably going to come down to personal preference, but I went with the 2.5 MOA because my C-More is 8MOA, which I regretted really fast at the Lucas Oil match.  Up close, those larger dots are really nice to find quickly, but once you start getting out to 25+ yards, they completely obscure smaller targets.  The DPP gets pretty bright and I don't seem to have any additional issues finding it quickly despite the smaller dot size, and actually preferred it working the plate rack at 25 yards on our club training bay.  YMMV, GL!

Couldn't agree with you more. Just finished an action pistol match today and my DPP 2.5 led me to my highest finish ever. And still getting used to it. This was an all steel match wit Texas stars, MGM spinners, dueling trees, plate racks and more. 2.5 MOA was always big enough.

5 hours ago, stick said:

Since it for the wife, let her look at the different models and dot sizes to see what she likes.

Several of us suggested sample testing at the beginning of this thread. Stick adds the important caveat that this is for the wife. One of the worst things we men can do is patronize them by making decisions for them based on our perspective. Be happy she wants to shoot with you and work with her not for her to enhance that experience. Since I gave my wife the choice between the DPP 2.5 MOA dot and the larger triangle, she's wanted to go shooting more often.