Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Losing weight

Losing weight. I’ve got a stock colt 9mm AR. Brainfarted and thought I was buying a ltwt which I used to own.

The weight is the same as a Colt 16 inch. It just feels heavy. Furniture is light Magpul. Mini Trijicon on top.

Anything else I can do to lighten the rifle?

I can buy a SBR upper or cut the barrel, but that is a year’s wait.

Any other options.

TIA

jon

You can buy a light weight barrel, rail,buffer tube, stock and upper. Mine weighs 5lbs 4 oz with optic. I have noticed more dot movement then with my gmr-13 which was slightly heavier. Saving weight costs money too. Bfs barrels are super light and a tacoom barrel extension. Smoke composites carbon fiber stock and buffer tuber are really light and a brigand arms rail weighs nothing. vSeven has dome really light uppers. I have almost $3,000 in mine and its too light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of handguard are you running?

Nothing  on my gun is fancy lightweIght stuff except for the $300 4.6oz carbon fiber handguard... and the barrel that was cut down to 14” (to hit 16.25” with my comp) and also thinned to “pencil” profile on a lathe.

The gun is 6lb 0.5oz and I like it how it is.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I went taccom ULW barrel and Vseven magnesium/ULW HG since I'm not a fan of the CF tubes. 

I have an MOE-SL stock and full weight BCG/receiver set. Plenty heavy in the rear to combat recoil, but light in the front for fast transitions. Really happy with it so far. 

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Startingover then wrap a 4.6oz brigand arms handguard around it, find a $$$ muzzle device, and you’d have $750 into your PCC... just in the parts ahead of the barrel nut!

I have about $500 in my rifle from that point forward, soooo I should probably stop talking now.

Yes, and I've blocked you on PMs ?

23 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

Exercise more!  Less weight - same HP = faster.  Same weight - more HP = faster.

I work out 5-6 days a week. I look gorgeous. 

The gun is STILL  heavy.

Wow. This is a tough crowd.?

Taccom has a new tension barrel. According to Tim they will have them with the PCC brake pinned and welded in about two weeks.
https://taccom3g.com/product/feather-weight-tension-barrel-9mm/

So I’m wondering if the Carbine sleeve will be cool enough to use without a handguard? If so, I’d want a finished looking barrel nut instead of the ugly ones under each of my handguards.

1 hour ago, 1911luvr said:

So I’m wondering if the Carbine sleeve will be cool enough to use without a handguard? If so, I’d want a finished looking barrel nut instead of the ugly ones under each of my handguards.

I asked Tim and he said no.  You will need a handguard.

On 8/24/2018 at 8:44 AM, 1911luvr said:

My buddy has the Taccom ULW barrel with the carbon fiber handguard over it and it does not take very long before the handguard is almost too hot to handle!!  I think a handguard is mandatory for sure! 

22 minutes ago, VU2AKILL said:

My buddy has the Taccom ULW barrel with the carbon fiber handguard over it and it does not take very long before the handguard is almost too hot to handle!!  I think a handguard is mandatory for sure! 

I guess a lot has changed in a year. Tim told us at the Lucas match last year that the sleeve would work fine without heating up. I just ordered one and was planning to go that route. My current gun is 8.3 pounds. I was wanting to get lighter, much lighter. I guess I will have to look for a CG hand guard.

I am running one with the CF handguard & a buddy is running one without. He shot 1 match with the sleeve only & halfway thru it was looking for a glove. Gets hot. I had ordered mine with the CF & the foam sleeve & gave the foam sleeve to him. That works OK, but I really think it is too small & the little extra weight is well worth having the CF handguard.

gerritm

34 minutes ago, BartCarter said:

Why would a CF handguard heat up more than an aluminum one?  I have no trouble with my aluminum one.  You would think that the CF would insulate from the heat.

likely more to do to with the fact that in this case, the CF is not a shroud, but part of the barrel.

someone did this with a BSF barrel though, lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV3SRUODweN/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

13 hours ago, mmlook said:

likely more to do to with the fact that in this case, the CF is not a shroud, but part of the barrel.

someone did this with a BSF barrel though, lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV3SRUODweN/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Wow. Watching someone load with their weakhand thumb inside the trigger guard is more than slightly cringe-worthy.