Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dvc open TROUBLESS AGAIN

tswisher21

I need some collective wisdom. When I first got my dvc open I had failures to eject like others. I sent it back and also paid for a minor tune,which is setting it up to shoot minor loads with a spring change. When I got it back it worked for both major and minor loads. Fast forward about 3000 rounds of each through it and now I am getting failures to eject again with major ammo only,the minor goes bang without a hitch. The only thing that I did was to change bullets from Acme rn to Eggleston flat point.I was first thinking maybe a weak recoil spring for the major loads but it only has 3000 rounds on it.Yes I clean it regularly. For those who want to know more the minor load is 3.1 tite group with a 147 extreme 1.140 and the major load is 6.8 autocomp wit a eggleston 124 flat point at 1.165 Thanks Tim

The first thing that comes to mind is your extractor. It may need to be adjusted. The minor loads work because there's less pressure, therefore less expansion of the brass letting a weak extractor pull the case from the barrel. A major load will expand the case more (granted that there is only so much room for expansion) making it tighter in the chamber. A weak extractor will either blow right by the case or not get a good grip on it and not pull it out enough for the ejector to properly throw it. 

I would look there first. 

The extractor will hold a loaded round when shaken vigorously. And I clean out the extractor chamber regularly.And it get very dirty  HI POWER JACK What aer you referring to by tune it up? And a new recoil spring in 3000 rounds,really I am not being a smart ass. please explain further. thanks for the replys Tim  

Tim...if you want to stop ejection problems...  change the scope mount to a vertical mount... my DVC did the same thing yours is doing... some don't like the vertical mounts... but it sure will solve lots of problems...

I would lean towards you have a gun set up for minor and are trying to run major. Major is going to push the slide way faster than minor. With the lighter recoil spring for minor it is simply letting the slide recoil too fast and making it hard for the extractor to do its job. Try using a 1-2 pound heavier recoil spring for major and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, cecil said:

Tim...if you want to stop ejection problems...  change the scope mount to a vertical mount... my DVC did the same thing yours is doing... some don't like the vertical mounts... but it sure will solve lots of problems...

It is possible to tune 9mm to work consistently with a horizontal mount, but you have to use the same brand brass. If you're using mixed range brass, it's almost impossible to get consistent ejection. I ended up going to a vertical scope mount. I can separate the rounds by headstamp and watch the ejection pattern and it's different with each different headstamp. With a vertical mount, the brass goes all over the place but it's no problem since there isn't a mount to bounce the brass back into the ejection port.

2 hours ago, tswisher21 said:

The extractor will hold a loaded round when shaken vigorously. And I clean out the extractor chamber regularly.And it get very dirty  HI POWER JACK What aer you referring to by tune it up? And a new recoil spring in 3000 rounds,really I am not being a smart ass. please explain further. thanks for the replys Tim  

Yes, a new recoil spring after 3,000 rounds. Major PF is very hard on springs. If it's only happening with your major loads, that is where I would first look. 

I don’t see how it would be possible after only 3,000 rounds but something you could check is if your slide might be cracked.  I had a Trubor that I finally had running great after putting on a Romeo 3.  No extraction problems for a case or two of bullets.  Then all of a sudden it started getting spent brass flipped back into the ejection port again, just like before I put on the Romeo.   I found a crack in my slide around the front of the ejection port.  Theory is that the crack was causing things to flex enough and cause the jams.  

Hello: Check your ejector to make sure it is not broken the tip off of it. Try a 9lb recoil spring and see if that helps or hurts it. Check to see if your grip screws are tight. Look at the grip to make sure it is not cracked. Look everything over for worn parts or something with a burr. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

19 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

It is possible to tune 9mm to work consistently with a horizontal mount, but you have to use the same brand brass 

Both my TruBors worked 100% for 4-6,000 rounds with a standard upright C-More mount with Range Brass,

UNTIL the gun and mags needed new springs, ejector, extractor.

Maybe I got lucky, but no problem with range brass and my C-More    :) 

19 hours ago, tswisher21 said:

HI POWER JACK What are you referring to by tune it up? 

Time to check Everything at that point - all springs, mags, cracks, ejectors, even

make sure the screws are tight.

PF 172 rounds (6,000 of them) going off in a two pound gun wreaks havoc on

Everything - time to check EVERY THING    :)  

Look at the tip of your extractor and see what the profile of it looks like. If it's stock, as in the way it came from the manufacturer (squared, sharp corners/ends) I would be suspect of it again. Also look at your firing pin stop. Is it clocking? This will also cause issues for you.

Another item to look at and take into consideration; your grip on the gun. Shoot a major round through it with a not so tight grip and see if it ejects the round consistently. This will give you some feedback on where to look next. If you can repeatedly get it to FTE with a 'limp' wrist, you may need to go with a lighter recoil spring or tighten your grip - as in the grip of your hands 

Here is a good article on tuning the extractor: 

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/ejection perfection.htm

I hope this helps! 

Edited by schaet

Sorry to hear about your issues. I have an STI DVC Open and had the same issues you are having. I went with an RTS and never looked back. I also replaced the recoil spring with a 9lb and adjusted the extractor to hold the round. No more FTE. This may explain why STI now sells the DVC Open with the RTS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/4/2018 at 12:21 PM, tswisher21 said:

I need some collective wisdom. When I first got my dvc open I had failures to eject like others. I sent it back and also paid for a minor tune,which is setting it up to shoot minor loads with a spring change. When I got it back it worked for both major and minor loads. Fast forward about 3000 rounds of each through it and now I am getting failures to eject again with major ammo only,the minor goes bang without a hitch. The only thing that I did was to change bullets from Acme rn to Eggleston flat point.I was first thinking maybe a weak recoil spring for the major loads but it only has 3000 rounds on it.Yes I clean it regularly. For those who want to know more the minor load is 3.1 tite group with a 147 extreme 1.140 and the major load is 6.8 autocomp wit a eggleston 124 flat point at 1.165 Thanks Tim

Keep in mind I do not shoot open, but I did notice you said all you did different was change bullets and move from the Acme RN to an Eggleston flat point. I had terrible problems with the shape of Eggleston bullets in my 1911 and SA. My first thought was go back to the original load that worked with the same Acme bullet and see if that is the problem. I have noted open guns seem to be far more finicky with loads then your average 1911 or my CZ carry optics arm.

After a bunch of tuning (Aftec and a couple of ejectors), I finally got my Match Master to run with range brass and a vertical (factory) mount.  I ran 125 PF load with a 7 lbs spring and 155 PF (Pro-AM load) and 172 PF load with an 8 lbs spring.  After 5-6K rounds without issue, I started getting random FTE's.  Changed the Aftec springs and it was good for another 3K.  Then the slide cracked (slide stop notch to ejection port).  STI has it now for a top end replacement under warranty.  I get to start the whole process over when I get it back.

It can be made to run, if you have the patience.