Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After “Make Ready” .. how long?

p7fl

After “Make Ready” .. how long?

Finished running the last 4 shooters from my squad and was 2nd person up on the next stage.

If I was first I would generally hand off the clock and grab an early look. But 2nd, no problemo.

Walked the stage with everyone else, just did not get it. I knew I was missing it. Could not visualize, was not comfortable.

Named called, MR given and I was still looking around absolutely lost. It was plus 100 degrees and Florida humid.  I knew the squad…so the heckling and abuse started.

Finally figured, ah, I must have it.

Nope, FTE’d 2 targets which blew the stage and day’s score.

So, how long do you have from “MR” to “AYR” ?

if you are not ready, say so. ask to be put down a couple more shooters. People may get annoyed if it happens all the time, but now and then (especially if you are being distracted by RO-ing), there's nothing wrong with it. 

if you are not ready, say so. ask to be put down a couple more shooters. People may get annoyed if it happens all the time, but now and then (especially if you are being distracted by RO-ing), there's nothing wrong with it. 
Exactly... Most people don't mind rolling you back, especially since you are actually working. If they don't understand they will need to help and RO themselves. Luckily I've never ran into any shooters that complain about it.

5 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

This!

People should not be heckling anyone during MR. Folks that want to preform well usually wait to heckle after your done. Those that dont,.... well can't do anything for/about them!  Some folks just don't get it since they're just there to make noise. With their mouths and thier guns. 

I don't mind waiting for a shooter to go through their stage plan in their head once or twice after MR, but if you don't even have a plan, ask to be bumped.  I usually try to come up with my plan, then compare to the other shooters as I'm RO'ing.  Once and a while, I'll see something I like better.  In your case where you didn't have anyone to RO beforehand, ask to be bumped down a few shooters and watch them.

This is the best advice also. Sometimes it takes a little bit to get started, but don’t let it happen at every stage you shoot at. I know I have done this once or twice because of a previous stage that I did something at and I was the first to shoot on the next stage. Never give someone a hard time for doing this, that is unsportsmanlike conduct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a more important question is why you set yourself up for failure by not looking at the stage before the match started. 

Make it a priority to get to the match early enough to walk all of the stages before the match starts. That way you have a solid stage plan when your squad gets to the stage during the match. 

Doing this proactive recon will make the squad shooting order a non-issue.

I also want to point out that ditching your squad early to take a look at the next stage is usually considered bad form. 

It must be me getting old, but if I don't get to a major the day before and walk the stages and get a good plan, I really struggle getting it done in 5 minutes. Most of it is cause I'm left handed, and am always going "upstream" from everyone else on the walk thru.

34 minutes ago, OPENB said:

It must be me getting old, but if I don't get to a major the day before and walk the stages and get a good plan, I really struggle getting it done in 5 minutes. Most of it is cause I'm left handed, and am always going "upstream" from everyone else on the walk thru.

They should put all the lefties on the same squad, an equal squad, but separate....

2 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

I think a more important question is why you set yourself up for failure by not looking at the stage before the match started. 

While I have found this invaluable at the LII matches I've attended, it's not always possible at a LI.  We have one club around here that routinely needs to ask for volunteers for setup, and the range requires that they setup the morning of the match, starting at 8am.  I show up early whenever I go to their match to help, but by the time the stages are set, I usually only have time to go sign up and collect my gear before the shooter's meeting.  Thankfully, because of the short setup time, they usually aren't setting up complex memory stages that require lots of planning.

I looked at a stage beforehand, and had my plan of attack already.

There was no written course description.

A few minutes before I was the first shooter, the RO told us that

we had to shoot the COF differently than I was prepared to shoot it    :(

Totally blew me away - never recuperated from that.    :eatdrink:

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

While I have found this invaluable at the LII matches I've attended, it's not always possible at a LI.  We have one club around here that routinely needs to ask for volunteers for setup, and the range requires that they setup the morning of the match, starting at 8am.  I show up early whenever I go to their match to help, but by the time the stages are set, I usually only have time to go sign up and collect my gear before the shooter's meeting.  Thankfully, because of the short setup time, they usually aren't setting up complex memory stages that require lots of planning.

All of the clubs here in Colorado setup all of the stages the morning of the match. They usually start at 6:30-7:00AM. Doing so usually results in all of the stages being setup with at least an hour before the start of the match. 

If the MD makes it more appealing to volunteer by setting up earlier so everyone can walk the stages before the start of the match, then you would have more volunteers. 

Starting setup at 8am is usually too late if you expect the volunteers to have a break before the start of the match.

15 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

All of the clubs here in Colorado setup all of the stages the morning of the match. They usually start at 6:30-7:00AM. Doing so usually results in all of the stages being setup with at least an hour before the start of the match. 

+1

we setup morning of.... I always build a stage, so I show up early enough to do that and still double-check all the other stages, both for uspsa legality and compliance with club rules regarding target placement in some of the pits. It isn't hard. Just a matter of priorities. Do you want to sleep in late and eat donuts, or help run the sport and also do your best in competition?

Unfortunately, it's not the MD's call in this case.  The range owner where that match is held is the one imposing the 8am start time.  He will also boot you from the range if you pick up brass that isn't yours (even though there are usually a few hundred pieces in each bay before we start), and people have actually been ejected from the range for shooting the sticks holding the targets on their static pistol range.  ?  It is what it is.  At least it's another match in the area.

I feel extremely lucky that our club has a dedicated section of the range we operate on.  We setup SC the morning of the match, but USPSA goes up the day before so we have time to set up more complex stages and proof them prior to the match.  That also allows us to be able to hold larger, multi-day matches a few times a year.  Maybe spoiled is a better term.  ?

8 hours ago, JAFO said:

I feel extremely lucky that our club has a dedicated section of the range we operate on.  We setup SC the morning of the match, but USPSA goes up the day before so we have time to set up more complex stages and proof them prior to the match.  That also allows us to be able to hold larger, multi-day matches a few times a year.  Maybe spoiled is a better term.  ?

Blackhawk? Bobby's place?

It seems very rare but two places I shoot/have shot both the club and the range are the same entity. Both private gun club/ranges not open to the public and not for profit. CASA here in Arkansas and Lemon Grove Rod and Gun Club near San Diego.

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, happygunner77 said:

If you make ready for more than a minute like this @ 30:23 of the video, it should help get the plan in. 

All that preparation and focus and he still jumped the timer.  Hope he had a perfect run there!  

2 hours ago, teros135 said:

Maybe that's part of why video isn't considered reliable in USPSA arbitration.

Video and audio are normally out of sync when uploaded to cloud. I haven't had a video that's out of sync ever since the I have had digital videos on file since 2000. 

5 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

Video and audio are normally out of sync when uploaded to cloud. I haven't had a video that's out of sync ever since the I have had digital videos on file since 2000. 

They can send a man to the moon, but they can't keep a video in synch in the cloud.  What's the world coming to? ?