Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flattened primers

Talon75

I've only had a few on some loads I've done so far, but found a bunch of these on some Fiochi 115gr rounds I've been using up. Just wondering how bad this is, a and should it be happening with factory stuff, or is there something else I should be looking at (issue with my gun?).

0729182154-1-1.jpg

17 minutes ago, Talon75 said:

I've only had a few on some loads I've done so far, but found a bunch of these on some Fiochi 115gr rounds I've been using up. Just wondering how bad this is, a and should it be happening with factory stuff, or is there something else I should be looking at (issue with my gun?).

0729182154-1-1.jpg

Those are nothing.

7 hours ago, Talon75 said:

0729182154-1-1.jpg

Those are not flattened at all. The things to look out for are the roundness of the edges of the primer cup and the firing pin indentation. I would guess that those primers are telling you the load is very light and pressures almost non-existent, which translates to higher profits and better insurance premiums for the manufacturer. They only want your gun to go pew, nothing more. The lighter the pew, the safe every one is they guess. 

And yes, I agree with Kevin in a previous post, who provided an example of flatten primers. But please beware that primer flattening is only one piece to the reloading puzzle. There are other things to look out for. I would recommend buying a  reloading manual and understanding what the round is telling you before reloading a lot more. 

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

What was the velocity on those rounds ?  That will offer a clue   :)   What is the powder and charge ?

I think those are factory loads if I understood correctly.

And just for the record isn’t doesn’t take a 9MAJOR load to see high pressure. You’ll not my pic shows an M&P striker mark. The gun in question was a Production gun at the match

So I have read Modern reloading 2nd edition, is there another good source that might be better? Honestly seemed to be more about how Lee products are better than others, which made it hard to think the rest of the info is that good.

Edited by Talon75

While we are talking about flattened primers, could I get some advice on these 357 Sig rounds?

20170422_1513111_zps9wmywgeu.jpg

Is this really an overpowered load? It's "book max".Or bad headspace? I could use some input

Edited by slayer61

slayer, which gun are you running the 357SIG in? A Glock will have a more pronounced, almost flowing, primer strike on the 357SIG  than any other caliber. In your case the primer edges are still round, but that's a weird looking firing pin mark. Actually looks very much like the strike marks from my 9mm JRC carbine. It's just the way that carbine runs. 124 Bayou TC on top of 3.4 grs TG at 1.100"

image37844.jpg

This is a flat primer...

image37184.jpg

Edited by 9x45

1 hour ago, slayer61 said:

While we are talking about flattened primers, could I get some advice on these 357 Sig rounds?

20170422_1513111_zps9wmywgeu.jpg

Is this really an overpowered load? It's "book max".Or bad headspace? I could use some input

Soft primer + high pressure cartridge + oversized firing pin hole = those cases. The primer has flowed on those cases a bit, but with the edges of the primer still being round, I don't think they are overpressure.

17 hours ago, Talon75 said:

So I have read Modern reloading 2nd edition, is there another good source that might be better? Honestly seemed to be more about how Lee products are better than others, which made it hard to think the rest of the info is that good.

I personally read the Lyman Manual about 30 years ago and learned a great deal. (https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-50th-Reloading-Handbook-Hardcover/dp/B01HH08L1A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533122658&sr=8-3&keywords=modern+reloading+2nd+edition). That link is for the 50th edition, I'm guessing mine was an earlier version. 

Yeh, I understand your concern in that you wonder if the manual is unbiased. The nice thing is the Lyman only makes a few reloading components and concentrates more on cartridge reference. 

16 hours ago, 9x45 said:

slayer, which gun are you running the 357SIG in? A Glock will have a more pronounced, almost flowing, primer strike on the 357SIG  than any other caliber. In your case the primer edges are still round, but that's a weird looking firing pin mark. Actually looks very much like the strike marks from my 9mm JRC carbine. It's just the way that carbine runs. 124 Bayou TC on top of 3.4 grs TG at 1.100"

image37844.jpg

This is a flat primer...

image37184.jpg

The gun is a Sig Sauer P229 in 357 Sig

15 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Soft primer + high pressure cartridge + oversized firing pin hole = those cases. The primer has flowed on those cases a bit, but with the edges of the primer still being round, I don't think they are overpressure.

Grumpy,

the primers are CCI spp, (not known for being soft like Federal) After the range day that these were shot, the pistol went to my local smith who went through the pistol front to back and said all dimensions were within spec. I'm still puzzled