Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Fo Front?

dirtypool40

I know, I know, don't tell my dad I shot open or that I am asking Glock questions again.... :unsure:

Anyway, Stock G17 and G34, putting in Heinie slantpro's. I ask because I have a night sight on a Glock 19 and it shoots about 4" high at 15y.

I would like a .090" or .100" thick FO front sight.

Who makes one and do I need a specific height to be poa / poi? What do you glock Jockey's use and love? I'm guessing Dawson, but do they make different heights? HELP!!!!

I just got the Dawson FO front for the Glock Bomar rear and I'm really liking it. They make fronts for Bomars, Heinies, stock sights, and their own rear sights in a couple different widths, .090 and .125, I believe.

I use the Hi-Viz but only because I get them cheap at Brownells. I use the FO front with both stock Glock rears and Bomar adjustables. I set up the sights so that the fiber covers the desired POI and it works well for me.

+2 for Dawson

They do make different heights, but I have no idea what they are. The FO front that was shipped with my set was too short, so they sent me a taller one.

On fixed sights I would suggest contacting Dawson directly and they should have the answer your looking for.

Guess I am one of the odd balls that likes a big fat FO front. I use the HiViz molded front with the big dot. I shoot it like an optical dot. Just put it in the center of the target and pull the trigger. All Heinies will shoot loose in the dovetail. I much prefer the Novak rear. The steel is much harder.

The front almost fills the rear notch at arms length.

post-1058-1123115684_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dawson FO Front

Heine rear

This is the best combination I have seen over the years for my purposes.

I have used HiViz FO front for quite a while but they are just sort of a blob.

The Dawson's present a much cleaner sight picture.

That's my preference.

+3 for the Heinie rear and FO front.  It makes for a fantastic sight picture.  You can buy that set for around $65.00 bucks.  I got mine from Chris Patty's website.

I put in the same combination: Heinie rear and Dawson FO front. Very, very nice; the FO isn't overhwhelming at all, and there's plenty of space, on either side of the post. Best of all, it was any easy DIY job.

I wish my Kimber could have a similar sight picture; its sights don't come off as easily, I don't think.

Can someone confirm that Dawson sells a .090" FO FS for the Glock? I just picked up a G17 for Production and I am debating between the Dawson Adjustables, or the Heinie Slant pro's. I like the lower profile of the fixed sights, but I also like the ability to easily change the POA. Decisions, decisions...

Can someone confirm that Dawson sells a .090" FO FS for the Glock?  I just picked up a G17 for Production and I am debating between the Dawson Adjustables, or the Heinie Slant pro's.  I like the lower profile of the fixed sights, but I also like the ability to easily change the POA. Decisions, decisions...

think it's more like .110

Yup, I called Dawson today and they don't offer a .090" FS for the glock... I also spent a minute googling... and found this:

Custom Glock (Third product from the top)

Matt Kartozian has a .090" FS for Heinie, Dawson, and Bomar. (However, it is non-FO). :D

I think the Dawson rear with the .090 FS will be a winner for me.

• 5 weeks later...
I know, I know, don't tell my dad I shot open or that I am asking Glock questions again.... :unsure:

Anyway, Stock G17 and G34, putting in Heinie slantpro's. I ask because I have a night sight on a Glock 19 and it shoots about 4" high at 15y.

Who makes one and do I need a specific height to be poa / poi? What do you glock Jockey's use and love?  I'm guessing Dawson, but do they make different heights? HELP!!!!

Dirtypool40,

I have the Dawson FO front sight that they make to be used with Heinie Slant Pro rear sights. It's definitely the way to go. If you want to try it, come by EOSS and you can see it in person.

RobE

Who makes one and do I need a specific height to be poa / poi? What do you glock Jockey's use and love?  I'm guessing Dawson, but do they make different heights? HELP!!!!

Dirtypool40,

I have the Dawson FO front sight that they make to be used with Heinie Slant Pro rear sights. It's definitely the way to go. If you want to try it, come by EOSS and you can see it in person.

RobE

The FO rod itself is .040, it swells when you install it.

John

• 1 month later...
All Heinies will shoot loose in the dovetail. I much prefer the Novak rear. The steel is much harder.

The front almost fills the rear notch at arms length.

Joe,

No way the Heinie on my 17 will come off. Perhaps they've changed since you last used one. It was hard going on. It won't budge.

+4 for the Heinie/Dawson setup!

Mark

Sounds like they have tweaked on the Heinies to make them looser.

I know mine (been a while) went in extra tough. I had my slide in the vice...and beat my bench half-way around the basement. I called Heinie up. He said I wasn't beating it in there hard enough. :)

I was using a 4 pound hammer. Anyway, I started swinging the 4 pound hammer with "real purpose". ;)

I imagine he must have received too many phone calls like that and decided to mill them a bit smaller?

I once spoke with Mr. Hienie and got a comment along the same lines as Flexmoney.

Me = I'm having a hard time getting the rear sight onto my glock. It doesn't want to go into the slot. Any ideas?

Mr. Hienie = how are you installing them

Me = "hammer and two by four"

Mr. Hienie = "what size hammer"

Me = "regular size framing hammer"

Mr. Hienie = "get a bigger hammer"

Me = "OOOOOOO Kay"

• 5 weeks later...
Sounds like they have tweaked on the Heinies to make them looser.

I know mine (been a while) went in extra tough. I had my slide in the vice...and beat my bench half-way around the basement. I called Heinie up. He said I wasn't beating it in there hard enough. :)

I was using a 4 pound hammer. Anyway, I started swinging the 4 pound hammer with "real purpose". ;)

I imagine he must have received too many phone calls like that and decided to mill them a bit smaller?

I don't know dude, the three sets I just got from brownells require three hammers, a block and tackle, a spring and a large wooley animal.