Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel matches ?

TANFARM

Do any of you use your open for standard matches and steel matches?....is there an advantage to running Minor loads for steel , then Major for regular matches?

Im contemplating using my Chaos for Major  setting up my old Trubor for a large upcoming Steel match with Minor loads.  Any advantage/disadvantage to running Major at a Steel match......does this make any senses ?

Finally ran a pretty test of my new Chaos yesterday....maybe 700 rounds....very impressed....now for the Chrono work.....Thanks in advance.

i run it in both solely for the practice. steel is great transition practice and in reality minor ammo really isn't that much cheaper. the only reason I PERSONALLY wouldnt run the trubor is because of how much lighter it is than the chaos. i feel like id end up over transitioning everywhere with the trubor and coming up short with the chaos lol. ill stick with running my chaos everywhere lol. you could always drop the spring a lb or 2 and run some super light 115gr loads. 

or. i have had great luck with taking my existing load, so for me its 7.1 wac at 1.165 with a 124, and just sticking a 115gr on instead of 124. it makes minor, i dont need to drop my spring weight and it runs great. am i saving money doing it.....meh.....not enough to justify doing it regularly.

Keep in mind that many ranges have a max velocity to help mitigate target damage. The ones I shoot at typically set 1350fps, although some are @1300 and occasionally you might see 1400fps. Might want to work up a reduced velocity load / or go with another gun. It would be a shame to get there and chrono over PF!:roflol:

I shoot minor loads for steel.  One of the clubs I shoot at has a 1250fps limit.  Another has no limit at all.  I find it better to have guns set up specifically for steel, and others for major, especially since my main major gun simply won't run on anything less than 170PF.

I use the same gun for major and minor. My minor loads are around 145 pf but I still need to change the recoil spring, 6-7 lb spring for minor. 

A light weight steel gun will be better if you are seriously competing in the steel matches but shooting the same gun for both has its advantages. 

On 5/5/2018 at 1:25 PM, Don_B said:

I use the same gun for major and minor. My minor loads are around 145 pf but I still need to change the recoil spring, 6-7 lb spring for minor. 

A light weight steel gun will be better if you are seriously competing in the steel matches but shooting the same gun for both has its advantages. 

I tend to agree that a light gun is better for steel, but this debate seems to one of personal choice.  I find lots of folks wanting heavier open guns even to use in steel matches.    I personally would think a lighter gun is better in both steel and USPSA, but I have no actual data to back this up.

There's a timing / recoil to relearn when reducing loads, shoot your major load if you can.  The time eaters are your reaction and the draw, plate to plate transition not so bad. 

• 4 months later...

Was thinking of posting a new thread about this topic, but found this in the search.

I currently run an older 38 super open gun with a Caspian slide.  I really like steel challenge, but I hate the idea of running 38S major loads at these matches.  What would I need to do to convert it over to, say, 9mm minor and still function well?  Would I need to have a whole new slide/barrel fitted, or just a new barrel with shorter comp?

Depends on what you want to get out of Steel Challenge.  AND its best to have clear expectations when going between Steel and USPSA.  I spent over a year exclusively in Steel before working back to USPSA.   This was after being away from all shooting sports for 3 years plus. I brought a few bad habits over from Steel when I did.  Like shooting at targets instead of A zones, and poor recoil management.  The draw from wrist above shoulders practice and target transition practice is huge.