Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO vs STI for limited major

Bryamill

5 hours ago, zzt said:

B_Rad, I don't care how many people in the super squad shoot CZs.  What does that have to do with anything?  Contempt for local matches- get over yourself.  AJ Stuart won the match.  My friend a U class Open shooter at his third Open shoot won Open, beating three Ms and a GM in the process.  Don't discount local matches.  Not everyone who shoots them is a doofus.

What does the number of people at a club match have to do with anything? You thru some numbers out that didn't mean anything. I did the same to make a point. You just didn't like mine. I didn't say anything about anyone being a doofus or show any contempt for local matches. I just made a point that folks at the higher level of the sport seem to be in the 2011 camp more so than than the TS camp.

Edited by B_RAD

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Bryamill said:

Thanks! I’m planning on attending some of the Sir Walter Raleigh matches in the near future. 

I haven't attended any there but I have several friends that do and they have TSO's. Let me know if you will be there and I will see if I can get you guys to meet. One friend on here (NoKimberDave) has one, and I believe he attends those matches.

14 hours ago, Dbw2223 said:

I'm just North of Greensboro I'll take you up on that! I'll be in Louisburg Saturday. 

You doing a match there? I was supposed to this past weekend but the weather was not cooperative.

The only thing that really matters in the decision between a 2011 and a TSO is your preference on ergonomics and what you are willing to spend to have a gun that is reliable. Both have excellent triggers and both are great for recoil management.

I shoot a TS and with my grip it barely moves. I personally would gain nothing if I went to a 2011, because I love the ergonomics of the TS. It's just preference. Practice is what is going to make the real difference in your game.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I started shooting limited division with a couple CTS’ from CZ Custom and have been shooting a couple of TSOs for the last year.  After cracking a slide on one of my CTS’, I made it a point to try and be as competitive as I could be with the TSOs with minimal modifications.  Even though I have never competed with a 2011 platform, I do not feel the TS platforms have held me back.  I win local matches and have placed well at major matches, to include winning last years Idaho Sectional, and am only getting better with them.  

If the TS platforms work for you ergonomically, I say be different and hunt the 2011s. If you like being able to change a bunch of parts to make something work better for you, the 2011 might be your best option. 

5 hours ago, BLUEPSTU said:

I haven't attended any there but I have several friends that do and they have TSO's. Let me know if you will be there and I will see if I can get you guys to meet. One friend on here (NoKimberDave) has one, and I believe he attends those matches.

Thanks! I’ve been staying local so far, but do hope to make it there in the next couple of months. 

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like either platform will be a solid choice and I’ll likely be the weak link. I had an opportunity to shoot my friends Shadow 2 yesterday and I was blown away. His came from CGW and it is sweet. Maybe I’ll grab a shadow 2 and shoot production for a bit. :)

I just made the switch from a 2011 to the shadow 2.  I liked my 2011 but I had hiccups at 2 seperate matches.  I decide to sell it and after a bunch of research I bought a new shadow 2.  I also got the shadow 2 kit with the bushing from Cajun gun works and installed it.  I went from a 3.8 SA trigger pull down to a 2.6 with the 11.5 hammer spring.  I shot 300 ends today with a 11lb recoil spring and my second shots are just as quick as my 2011 was.  Love the feel of the grip and while weight is heavier when shooting it I didn’t notice it.  As it stands now I’m glad I made the switch.  I didn’t have problem with it today either. 

On 2018-04-08 at 11:52 PM, yigal said:

as Tool & Die maker  i hope u recovered from what u saw in TSO;) but still its one of the best  cheap good working guns.

2011 custom  platform  vs cz tso  is like day and night .

can't explain  this ,but all shooters from the club that shoot tso for 2 years   immediately raised their competition level scores by 10% -15%. after started use 2011 platform.

2011 platform need good gunsmith to work perfectly. CZ TSO not.

tso  shoot out from the box 99.9% reliably  and u don't need favors from nobody.

as zzt say try this guns from club members.

if u do not have knowledge on 2011 platform tso will fit u better.

The only thing I find 2011 perform better is the same like other had said.

It has a big magwell and make reload 2 times easier without much of practice. And reload is a huge thing in Canada. 10 round mags...........

I can reload my 2011 at 1.00-1.20. With my CZ's, I am at 1.40-1.60.

My 2011 take me 9 months to get it to shoot and not jam every match. Not to mention there are another 3 months to develop a load that works.

My issue with the tso was the controls. I couldn’t reach anything without letting off the grip. Sold my tso and bought two Dvc, I’ll never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My take on it, and I am new to USPSA and bought my TSO for 3gun and other matches. It is 9mm. I have since bought a Tanfo Limited in .40 for Major. Had I been able to afford another TSO, I would have bought that. I may still buy a .40 upper for it and ditch the Tanfo.

Have had several CZ's and I guess you could say I am a fan boy. I am a hobbyist, that's all. I shoot for fun and enjoyment and just want to get better and shoot with some dignity, and that has always been my goal. For this, the CZ's have been sublime. They have never let me down and I have grown to love them. RELIABLE. I am proud of my Orange. It was a lot of money and it turned out to be a relative bargain, at the end of the day, so it's sorta like a Honda Civic. It may not be the sexiest car, but you can bank on that fact that it is going to get you were you need to go, every time, and it's going to perform well and get good mileage, too. Maybe the Orange is an Acura, lol. But it's not a Porsche or Ferrari.

What I do not like about the TSO:

1. Harder to find holsters and swag.

2. Small slide profile makes racking and failure drills tougher than a 2011.

3. Trigger guard profile in too deep and rounded making it difficult to get higher on the gun. I can get a higher grip on my Tanfo or a 2011. This makes a bigger diffrence on .40 than it does on 9mm.

All that said, if I won the lottery, I would be pimping a couple brand new SVI's and maybe a Limcat, too! 2011's are awesome and I think if money were no object I would likely go in that direction. Although, I would keep my TSO and use it exclusively for 3gun where it really shines.

And, any members close that want to try it, please PM me and we will get it done, and I can likely source a .40 as two good friends use them. And they both belong to my shooting club and are generous about stuff like this, as I have found most shooters to be.

53 minutes ago, NoKimberDave said:

My take on it, and I am new to USPSA and bought my TSO for 3gun and other matches. It is 9mm. I have since bought a Tanfo Limited in .40 for Major. Had I been able to afford another TSO, I would have bought that. I may still buy a .40 upper for it and ditch the Tanfo.

Have had several CZ's and I guess you could say I am a fan boy. I am a hobbyist, that's all. I shoot for fun and enjoyment and just want to get better and shoot with some dignity, and that has always been my goal. For this, the CZ's have been sublime. They have never let me down and I have grown to love them. RELIABLE. I am proud of my Orange. It was a lot of money and it turned out to be a relative bargain, at the end of the day, so it's sorta like a Honda Civic. It may not be the sexiest car, but you can bank on that fact that it is going to get you were you need to go, every time, and it's going to perform well and get good mileage, too. Maybe the Orange is an Acura, lol. But it's not a Porsche or Ferrari.

What I do not like about the TSO:

1. Harder to find holsters and swag.

2. Small slide profile makes racking and failure drills tougher than a 2011.

3. Trigger guard profile in too deep and rounded making it difficult to get higher on the gun. I can get a higher grip on my Tanfo or a 2011. This makes a bigger diffrence on .40 than it does on 9mm.

after proper treatment it is ferrari :o

and  holster for tso  is not big problem to me.;)

after proper treatment it is ferrari [emoji33]
and  holster for tso  is not big problem to me.[emoji6]

DAA Alpha-X...... solves all holster problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, yigal said:

after proper treatment it is ferrari :o

and  holster for tso  is not big problem to me.;)

Ferrari's don't need "proper treatment", imo! 

The holster isn't a "big problem" for me either, and of course I never said it was. Here is what I said in the text you quoted:

"Harder to find holsters and swag".

Meaning, there are more holster choices/parts choices available for 2011's than TSO's. This is indisputable and everyone who owns a TSO knows this to be true.

Isn't your holster custom made for you and not widely available? If not, please post a link so that fellow TSO shooters can have another option!

Much of this has been covered in various other replies, but my experience, going from a 2011 to a CZ Tac Sport was a good one. I sold my 2011 and got a TS 40, upgraded front sight, magwell, grips (necessary for fit and function) plus trigger/hammer (not necessary, but marginally nicer). I also got a 9mm top end, and 6 mags of each caliber. The total investment was about $2400. 

Pros of TS

- My TS required zero gun smithing to run & has been flawless

- TS runs better with factory ammo

- TS has less muzzle flip than my 2011

- TS Factory trigger is exceptional

- TS is good value for the investment. Used TS can be found for $900+/-. Make it easy to try Limited on a budget. 

Cons of TS

- Fewer gunsmiths specialize in CZ. There is one CZ gunsmith in my area, so I usually ship to CZ Custom in AZ for service when needed. There are at least a half dozen gunsmiths in my area that work on 19/2011s. 

- Aftermarket CZ accessories are more limited, but improving, compared to 2011 aftermarket parts. This includes magwells, magazines, sights, holsters, triggers, etc. 

- My TS mags do not allow >1.18", so if your pet load for major is 1.2", you will have to adjust. 

- TS has a pivoting trigger (compared to a straight-back 1911 style). May take some adjustment if you are used to 1911s, maybe not if you are used to production.

- TS can be a couple ounces heavier than polymer framed 2011s

Edited by JayDee
typo

6 hours ago, NoKimberDave said:

Ferrari's don't need "proper treatment", imo! 

The holster isn't a "big problem" for me either, and of course I never said it was. Here is what I said in the text you quoted:

"Harder to find holsters and swag".

Meaning, there are more holster choices/parts choices available for 2011's than TSO's. This is indisputable and everyone who owns a TSO knows this to be true.

Isn't your holster custom made for you and not widely available? If not, please post a link so that fellow TSO shooters can have another option!

u are right  .1911  platform is more than 100 y. old  so naturally  it  have more accessories   and gunsmiths   in  U.S.  than for  cz .

outside U.S. much harder get accessories  and parts for any gun. and get  real good gunsmith for most guns  is almost like " mission impossible.";)

U.S. market full of very good gunsmiths and gun makers ,so design good holster   for most popular guns   it is not  big problem . 

u right  there is no good  reliable   holster for tso. maybe, because all cz guns except   shadow2  have  problematic trigger guard.

but for all mech. problems u can find right solution.;) 

I started shooting USPSA on a modified TS (live in CA so 2011s were not much of an option). I had to get grip reduction as I have small hands. While I was at it replaced sights, magwell, recoil rod, trigger, grips etc..

No issues on it except racking it on empty starts was a bit of a chore. I ordered an Infinity, and while waiting for it found an STI Edge locally at a decent price. Bought it and sent it out for a trigger job, replace the grip with and SVI grip (so I could use the same insert for Infinity when it arrived) got the grip safety pinned. I ran the Edge until my SVI arrived and now it is a backup.

The TS has been sitting in my safe for over a year now.

In comparison between the two guns, it is like day and night. My 2011s do handle much better for ME. In reliability I did break a slide stop on the TS (I guess that is normal as the gun came with bunch of spares). I did break an extractor on the Edge after 15K or so rounds. I clean my guns after each use so no "torture test" failures. I was having "hammer fall" issue on the SVI after 20K rounds and had to tweak the sear spring.

Bottom line, personal and budget preference.

I first shot Limited with a worked over ipsc standard, the forerunner to the tac sport. Grip reduction and all the work.

Then I held a metal gripped 2011. I instantly sold my ts.

That being said I did also sell both 2011's I recently owned and am curious about a TSO but I've yet to hold the O version.

They both will require you to load ammo for that gun. So a wash there.

TS mags are simpler to make run and cheaper. Plus for TS.

The 2011 has far and away more aftermarket and tuners for it than the CZ. Plus for the 2011 guns.

So, like tanks says and I agree it really is down to budget and personal preference.

8 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I first shot Limited with a worked over ipsc standard, the forerunner to the tac sport. Grip reduction and all the work.

Then I held a metal gripped 2011. I instantly sold my ts.

That being said I did also sell both 2011's I recently owned and am curious about a TSO but I've yet to hold the O version.

They both will require you to load ammo for that gun. So a wash there.

TS mags are simpler to make run and cheaper. Plus for TS.

The 2011 has far and away more aftermarket and tuners for it than the CZ. Plus for the 2011 guns.

So, like tanks says and I agree it really is down to budget and personal preference.

I don't know if you are talking about needing to reload for the TSO or not, but my buddy has put thousands of rounds with factory ammo through his without a hitch. However, I do shoot reloads through mine with a lighter spring. Never been a problem either.