Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO vs STI for limited major

Bryamill

While I’m not making the move just yet, I do enjoy the research. As a fairly new shooter, I’m currently shooting limited minor and will either move to production or possibly limited major if budget allows when the time comes. I’ve been looking at the TSO and the STI Edge. Possibly the Brazos Edge. It seems like the TSO is less likely to have issues out of the box and cheaper to shoot in general with magazines and initial cost. Do you lose anything by going with the TSO? I know the 2011 is the dominate platform, but I see nothing but positive reviews  with the TS and TSO. Just looking for general thoughts. As a note, I’m fairly new, so both will far outperform me. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly had issues with my TSO because the trigger break is so light, too light for me!  Plus the grip was just a tad bit too big even with thin grips.  I sold it to a friend and bought a new DVC Limited on sale.  Super happy with the trigger pull as it breaks in.  The Gen2 STI mags are good.  The TSO was just not for me and the DVC has run flawlessly.

Have fun with your research!

Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully, I’ll have an opportunity to shoot each one before making a decision. I know there are plenty of sti’s at my local club. I see a bunch of shadow 2’s. I’ll have to keep my eye out for a TS or TSO. 

Man, this is a tough one. I'm shooting limited major this year. I chose the 2011 (Atlas Titan). I got a good price one a used one.  I don't own a TSO but I've shot one a couple of times. I guess it's gonna be a preference thing because both will work so it has to be a preference. My, preference is the 2011 (set up like I like it). For me everything is better in the 2011.  The trigger, the magwell, the grip, the thumb saftey (I hate the CZ one!). 

Now, saying all that, I've shot some STI that I did not like. I don't think I'd want to shoot an Edge out of the box. I like the metal PT grip which is another $500. The stock STI trgger sucks IMO. 

I think accuracy would be equal. Reloads I think are easier on the 2011.  Recoil might be less worth the TSO vs plastic 2011. Though, I really believe anyone can get used to anything with enough practice. So,.. I don't know that any of these matter.  

So, depends on how much money you're willing to spend. I like my $4k Atlas better. But it's twice the price so,...... I know folks that shoot the CK 2011 that are $2600-3,000 and love them.   I just bought another Titan. I figure while they do cost more, it's not like you lose all that money. It's like any other gun, you can sell it for a precentage of what you paid for it. 

Good luck. 

Edited by B_RAD

I have a TSO and it fits my hand perfectly. I paid close to $1600 and it was money well spent. I'd trade it straight across for Brad's Atlas if he offered. The TSO is probably the best value limited pistol out right now but it's no custom 2011. The $2400 difference is enough to pay for almost two seasons of ammo though.

Edited by 858

29 minutes ago, 858 said:

I have a TSO and it fits my hand perfectly. I paid close to $1600 and it was money well spent. I'd trade it straight across for Brad's Atlas if he offered. The TSO is probably the best value limited pistol out right now but it's no custom 2011. The $2400 difference is enough to pay for almost two seasons of ammo though.

You know what I find funny, I feel that every gun I've shot for any length of time, fits my hand perfectly.  Then, after 2 weeks of shooting something different, that gun fits my hand perfectly and the previous gun doesn't. It's like I said above, you'll get used to anything!  

Though, I doubt I could ever get used to the stock thumb saftey on the TSO!  It just seems to small and too far forward to be disengaged reliably.  Seems like most shooters switch it for the larger version. Though, I'd still say it'll never be as user friendly as a 1911 tumb saftey. 

Edited by B_RAD

14 minutes ago, 858 said:

The Shadow 2 safety works perfect though.

I don't like any CZ saftey.  When I shot production I used the thin ones since there was no need. I did try the S2 like and didn't like it either. That cool it works on the TSO!

That brings up another thing to consider. The TSO is gonna be easier to work on. 

Edited by B_RAD

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

Man, this is a tough one. I'm shooting limited major this year. I chose the 2011 (Atlas Titan). I got a good price one a used one.  I don't own a TSO but I've shot one a couple of times. I guess it's gonna be a preference thing because both will work so it has to be a preference. My, preference is the 2011 (set up like I like it). For me everything is better in the 2011.  The trigger, the magwell, the grip, the thumb saftey (I hate the CZ one!). 

Now, saying all that, I've shot some STI that I did not like. I don't think I'd want to shoot an Edge out of the box. I like the metal PT grip which is another $500. The stock STI trgger sucks IMO. 

I think accuracy would be equal. Reloads I think are easier on the 2011.  Recoil might be less worth the TSO vs plastic 2011. Though, I really believe anyone can get used to anything with enough practice. So,.. I don't know that any of these matter.  

So, depends on how much money you're willing to spend. I like my $4k Atlas better. But it's twice the price so,...... I know folks that shoot the CK 2011 that are $2600-3,000 and love them.   I just bought another Titan. I figure while they do cost more, it's not like you lose all that money. It's like any other gun, you can sell it for a precentage of what you paid for it. 

Good luck. 

Good point about not losing the money on the custom 2011’s. It does seem that resale is pretty strong. What are your thoughts on the Brazos? I’ve heard great things about the Atlas, but that is a little north of where I want to start.

1 hour ago, 858 said:

Ha, I’ll buy a TSO and trade Brad as well!

10 minutes ago, Bryamill said:

Good point about not losing the money on the custom 2011’s. It does seem that resale is pretty strong. What are your thoughts on the Brazos? I’ve heard great things about the Atlas, but that is a little north of where I want to start.

Never shot one. I've heard nothing but great things. 

A TSO should hold value well too but since the 2011 is the more popluar paltform, I'd think it'd hold value at a little higher precentage. 

I've got to the point in life where I buy once, cry once. You buy a STI then have $600 work and parts done to it. Then want a metal frame, so you're in for the same money as just buying an Atlas!  Just saying. 

Edited by B_RAD

33 minutes ago, Magictalent said:

I shoot a TSO, sub 2 lbs trigger, no jam, no mag issue. No working on the gun. Just load ammo and shoot.

More time to practice is what really valuable.

That’s exactly what has me looking at the TSO. I’ve read that they are ready to go out of the box. Do you find that the trigger is too light?

2 hours ago, Magictalent said:

I shoot a TSO, sub 2 lbs trigger, no jam, no mag issue. No working on the gun. Just load ammo and shoot.

More time to practice is what really valuable.

+1 I absolutely love my TSO. I also love having a gun that will eat through anything.

Thanks! I was actually worried about not having a local gunsmith that works on CZ’s, but it sounds like less is needed. For the thumbrest, do most people run it with or without that?

I'll say one last thing for the OP's consideration. A properly set up 2011 will run just as well as anything. CZs need tweaked ammo too. 2011s need longer. CZs need shorter or having the barrel reamed. 

Ask some shooters to let you shoot thier gun. I let someone try my Atlas about every match. Most folks love letting others try their guns.  

But nobody can deny the CZ is cheaper!  

Edited by B_RAD

I asked myself the very same question, CZ TS/TSO or 2011 when I switched from Production to Limited.  Both are very well respected platforms, no doubt about that. 

From my research the TS/TSO requires no internal modifications to run and do so very reliably out of the box.  Listening to my buddies that have 2011, there seemed to be a lot of fine adjustments & tuning of the gun and also the mags. However once they are dialed in, 2011's are no joke either.

This is what pushed me towards the CZ platform- out of the box reliability and interchangeability of parts.  Aside from extended basepads, there are no functional or reliability upgrades needed.  Gips, safety, sights, etc. get changed, however this is mostly because of personal preference, not necessity.

One other nice thing about the CZ platform for limited, is the TS.  It's ~$500 cheaper than the Orange, however all the mechanical parts interchange.  So if someone wants to dip their toe into the limited water with an all metal gun, the TS is a pretty good choice.  If you like the CZ platform, get a TSO and use the TS as a backup.  If the CZ isn't for you, sell it and get that 2011 you've been eyeing :)

Edited by muncie21

TSO - new kid on the block - elevation only adjustable sight - thumb thingy for those who like the thumb thingies - Bling if you keep the orange grip panels - different grip feel than the TS

TS - the real bargain if you do not feel a need for the thumb thingy and particularly if you prefer the feel of the larger grip. 

2011 - Nice too, reloads are easier, $3000 gets you a good one ready to run, $2000 & you might be lucky. 

5 hours ago, Bryamill said:

Maybe on high end custom 2011 but, if the for sale section here is any indicato,r 2011's in general don't hold there value all that well.

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I'll say one last thing for the OP's consideration. A properly set up 2011 will run just as well as anything. CZs need tweaked ammo too. 2011s need longer. CZs need shorter or having the barrel reamed. 

Ask some shooters to let you shoot thier gun. I let someone try my Atlas about every match. Most folks love letting others try their guns.  

But nobody can deny the CZ is cheaper!  

TSO 40s don't need to have their barrels reamed, I load 1.160 easily. My 9mm conversion barrel will feed 1.135 without reaming either.