Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to chamber first round

Shot match last weekend using my  33 round Glock mag with TF extension.  I've been using this setup for several matches with no issues.  I normally make ready by locking back the slide, pushing mag in, and releasing slide with mag release to chamber the round.  Last week on the first stage, the round did not strip from the mag.  Pulled trigger, no bang, checked that mag was seated, seemed to be, racked slide and everything worked.  Is is possible that the mag was at an unfavorable angle causing the problem?

Been shooting many many years.......had that happen to me way in the beginning. Yep.....I always watch the round go in now. ADDITIONALLY.......get to KNOW the difference of the sound and the feel in the difference at initial load up between a bolt closing on an empty chamber and closing on a round. Better shooter you will be (Yoda)

I'm the same way as theses guys but I don't hit the bolt catch and let the bolt slam home. I grab the charge bar with my left hand and release the bolt that way. With the gun slightly canted I can now see the round chamber.

Edited by MikieM
2 hours ago, MikieM said:

I'm the same way as theses guys but I don't hit the bolt catch and let the bolt slam home. I grab the charge bar with my left hand and release the bolt that way. With the gun slightly canted I can now see the round chamber.

Same here except I use my right hand (strong side) on the charging handle.   It always works.

6 hours ago, Old3GNR said:

...I normally make ready by locking back the slide, pushing mag in, and releasing slide with mag release to chamber the round.  Last week on the first stage, the round did not strip from the mag.  Pulled trigger, no bang, checked that mag was seated, seemed to be, racked slide and everything worked.  Is is possible that the mag was at an unfavorable angle causing the problem?

How could the round not chamber if the bolt comes forward?  After pushing the mag in, did you give it the AR normal tug down to make sure it was seated?

3 hours ago, BartCarter said:

How could the round not chamber if the bolt comes forward?  After pushing the mag in, did you give it the AR normal tug down to make sure it was seated?

That's the basis for my question.  Yes, mag was seated.  I have shot hundreds of USPSA matches.  I'm wondering if the mag may have been tilted a little forward causing the bolt to slide over the first round.  

Edited by Old3GNR
23 minutes ago, Old3GNR said:

That's the basis for my question.  Yes, mag was seated.  I have shot hundreds of USPSA matches.  I'm wondering if the mag may have been tilted a little forward causing the bolt to slide over the first round.  

Hello: What lower do you have? Some have a much better angle of attack than others. I like the QC10 lowers since they have the angle just right. I have seen some other lowers that have had this problem but most of those have been using non factory mags or very long base pads. It could be that your mag spring is either too strong or too weak. I use the TF delrin base pad and the 5/6 TTI, Dawson, Arredondo base pads. If I need a really big stick I use a Taccom coupler with a 17 and 33 round factory Glock mags with the 17 on top and the 33 round spring on top. Thanks, Eric

On 3/15/2018 at 8:34 AM, Old3GNR said:

Shot match last weekend using my  33 round Glock mag with TF extension.  I've been using this setup for several matches with no issues.  I normally make ready by locking back the slide, pushing mag in, and releasing slide with mag release to chamber the round.  Last week on the first stage, the round did not strip from the mag.  Pulled trigger, no bang, checked that mag was seated, seemed to be, racked slide and everything worked.  Is is possible that the mag was at an unfavorable angle causing the problem?

Can you recreate the problem?  

I’ve experienced a similar problem with my AR and discovered that I added one round too many to the mag making it very tight and the round did not strip. Stage started and gun went ‘click’. I now drop the mag to ensure a round was chambered paying attention to the high round location being either on the left or right side. Unsure if you have the same opportunity here...

I had it happen a few times.  I now use the charging handle with the gun canted so I can actually see the round load into the chamber.  I know several shooters who strip out 1-2 rounds out of the TF extension because of feeding issues.

• 1 month later...

Use a "Barney" mag to load the initial round.  It's named after Barney Fife of the Mayberry PD who was only allowed to carry one bullet in his pocket.  It's a magazine with one round in it.

Load the carbine with the Barney magazine.  Drop it out of the carbine and if it's empty, there is a round in the chamber.  Don't have to watch it go in or pull the charge handle back again to see if there is a round in the chamber.

After ULSC, the round that is dropped out of the chamber is loaded back into the Barney mag, ready for the next stage.

Simple.

BC

I like the barney mag idea.  Do you download your first mag as well?  I think I'd be more worried about the mag not seating properly on a closed bolt than I would be about the first round not loading.  I fear the dreaded "bang, thud" as the first round fires and a fully loaded 47-rd mag hits the ground shortly after.  :o

30 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I like the barney mag idea.  Do you download your first mag as well?  I think I'd be more worried about the mag not seating properly on a closed bolt than I would be about the first round not loading.  I fear the dreaded "bang, thud" as the first round fires and a fully loaded 47-rd mag hits the ground shortly after.  :o

I think downloading would defeat the purpose of the barney round.

My DP base pad does +7.  I always barney one first to start with 39.  With new springs it's very tough to load the stuffed mag with a barney round.  You can clip 1/2 a coil and get a little relief.  As far as it dropping out.  I make sure it's seated securely by slamming it in and gently tugging. 

I also always take a peek into the chamber as the last step in my make ready.

2 hours ago, longbeard said:

I think downloading would defeat the purpose of the barney round.

:roflol:  Yeah, that question sounded legitimate in my head.  I probably won't do it anyway.  I don't see the need to barney up with 47 rounds in the first mag.  I do download my two spares by one.  They are +6 TTI basepads on 17-rd tubes, and they are really hard to seat on a closed bolt when loaded to 23.