Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are the best upgrades you`ve done 650xl

23 minutes ago, PhillySoldier said:

This thread is costing me lots of money....

LOL...me too!

next on the list is the entirelycrimson powder measure qwik disconnect mentioned above. That will be very handy...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, xdr said:

LOL...me too!

next on the list is the entirelycrimson powder measure qwik disconnect mentioned above. That will be very handy...

Haaaa I beat ya too it by about an hour. I think I have one of everything mentioned in the thread now on order

On 3/20/2018 at 4:16 PM, cs62 said:

Dillon casefeeder, Mr Bulletfeeder, XL 650 Premium performance improvements kit (eBay - snowshooze is the seller), missed live primer shoot (eBay several sellers on there) and Starlight press lighting system (Reloading Innovations).

This^

Ok I finally listed everything out. 17 of the items I would consider as upgrades, at least half of these I blame on this thread. First 8 on list has arrived so far. Still waiting on the other 9. 

1. Strong Mount
  2. Roller Handle
  3. Powder Checker
  4. Low Powder Sensor
  5. Powder Adjustment Knob
  6. UFO 650 Reloading Press light
  7. Mr Bullet Feeder
  8. Case feeder
  9. RF 100 Small Primer Filler
  10. 2 Case/Bullet feeder mirrors
  11. Spent Primer Upgrade
  12. Primer stop switch
  13. Case Feeder Stop
  14. Spill Stop
  15. Powder Measure QD
  16. Shell Plate Bearing Kit
  17. Round Counter

29 minutes ago, PhillySoldier said:

Ok I finally listed everything out. 17 of the items I would consider as upgrades, at least half of these I blame on this thread. First 8 on list has arrived so far. Still waiting on the other 9. 

1. Strong Mount
  2. Roller Handle
  3. Powder Checker
  4. Low Powder Sensor
  5. Powder Adjustment Knob
  6. UFO 650 Reloading Press light
  7. Mr Bullet Feeder
  8. Case feeder
  9. RF 100 Small Primer Filler
  10. 2 Case/Bullet feeder mirrors
  11. Spent Primer Upgrade
  12. Primer stop switch
  13. Case Feeder Stop
  14. Spill Stop
  15. Powder Measure QD
  16. Shell Plate Bearing Kit
  17. Round Counter

Wow, that is quite a list!  I like a lot of what is on there with the following exceptions, which are just personal preference/bias:

5. Powder Adjustment Knob - I don't change my powder throw very often and when I do the wrench works fine.  I also do not want it to be easy to change the throw in case someone else moves the adjustment or I bump it.

12.  Primer Stop Switch - I don't often find myself needing to cut off the primer system and, when I do, I just use the wrench to remove the piece that advances the priming system.

13.  Case feed stop - This one is more work but when I want the cases to stop feeding I turn off the switch, empty the tube, and remove the case that is in the machine ready to be fed in.

16.  Shell Plate Bearing Kit - Bought it, didn't see any advantage, took it out and lost it on the bench somewhere.

17.  Round Counter - The empty primer boxes are my round counter but I'm more of a small batch reloader so a few hundred at a time is easy to keep up with.

Just my opinions on a few of those items that I wouldn't bother with.  YMMV of course.

On 4/6/2018 at 8:24 AM, jhgtyre said:

5. Powder Adjustment Knob - I don't change my powder throw very often and when I do the wrench works fine.  I also do not want it to be easy to change the throw in case someone else moves the adjustment or I bump it.

Im still waiting for most of the things to arrive but the Powder Adjustment Knob was a godsend over the past weekend already. At least for now where Im trying many different loads until I see what works best in each of my guns; Im making constant changes. Over the weekend I made about a dozen different loads and the knob made it super simple. Just turn 2-3 clicks to go up to the next tenth of a grain and done. I wish I had the Primer Stop Switch. With testing so many different powder measures that wouldve been super useful too. 

Edited by PhillySoldier

17 minutes ago, PhillySoldier said:

Im still waiting for most of the things to arrive but the Powder Adjustment Knob was a godsend over the past weekend already. At least for now where Im trying many different loads until I see what works best in each of my guns; Im making constant changes. Over the weekend I made about a dozen different loads and the knob made it super simple. Just turn 2-3 clicks to go up to the next tenth of a grain and done. I wish I had the Primer Stop Switch. With testing so many different powder measures that wouldve been super useful too. 

As long as YOU are happy with the setup that's the key.

I hate spending money on extras.  I assume one is starting with an as it should be set up with case feeder and a mount.
My most productive upgrade was to buy 5 extra primer tubes first off.

The light was like 12 bucks at target. It has a big advantage over the rip off priced  in frame lights, I can point it wherever I need it, like my hands if I need a good look at something, it is LED super bright.  I don't see a light as an option though, it is a must.
FA vibra prime, once cleaned up(molding lines) it works as well or better than the original, for almost no money compared to a rf300(I see it as the same thing on a stand, but hugely overpriced).  I fill up 6 tubes with it and I am set for a leisurely hour of loading. 
I have a bullet feeder, but I just don't need it for most sessions.  

IMG_0062.jpg

I have had my XL 650 about a month now I guess. So far so good. The Hornady Lock-N -Load won’t be going back on my bench. 

Anyway, I did a free upgrade to my XL 650 today. I didn’t like how much room the case feeder took up behind the press so I made a new mounting post with an offset 90 degrees to the left. It is saving me about 6.5.” I can now slide my 650 out of the way on my T-Track without the case feeder bowl hitting my shelves, drawers etc. A worthwhile upgrade for me. The photo shows the new post mounted with me holding the old post next to it how it used to mount. 

650%20Post%202_zpsnwxeqriv.jpg

650%20post%203_zps4bede4uz.jpg

H

Edited by Hank80
Difficulty loading images

11 hours ago, Hank80 said:

I have had my XL 650 about a month now I guess. So far so good. The Hornady Lock-N -Load won’t be going back on my bench. 

Anyway, I did a free upgrade to my XL 650 today. I didn’t like how much room the case feeder took up behind the press so I made a new mounting post with an offset 90 degrees to the left. It is saving me about 6.5.” I can now slide my 650 out of the way on my T-Track without the case feeder bowl hitting my shelves, drawers etc. A worthwhile upgrade for me. The photo shows the new post mounted with me holding the old post next to it how it used to mount. 

650%20Post%202_zpsnwxeqriv.jpg

650%20post%203_zps4bede4uz.jpg

H

Hank80,

I am interested in this can you provide more details?

12 hours ago, OneEyedSam said:

Hank80,

I am interested in this can you provide more details?

Sure. It’s pretty simple really. A piece of 3/4” thinwall (EMT) conduit. I bent a 4 3/4” offset, drilled the mounting holes 90 degrees from the original mounting post, sanded it down, primed it and painted it with gloss black Rustoleum. When it came to mounting the bowl the OD of the 3/4” conduit was just a bit smaller than the OEM mount post so I had some paper thin sheet metal in the shop that I wrapped around the top of the new post until the bowl fit snug. I slapped the feeder tube on, threw some brass in the bowl to see how it worked and it ran just like the stock set up only now I have more room and can slide the entire press along my T-Track to make room for either my single stage or whatever else I need room for. The Dillon 650 is a great machine but with the case feeder mounted in the factory position it takes up a lot of room front to back. 

• 8 months later...

I used some painter's tape around the ski jump to fix the live primer issue.  The tape doesn't let them bounce out, and I just replace it 2/year when I tear down for cleaning.

I have an LED strip and a $6 clamp light clamped on the casefeeder arm.

The UniqueTek micrometer powder bar upgrade

The dillon roller arm and strong mount

roller bearing upgrade

I have a 3d printed primer chute to replace the hopper, but I haven't gotten around to getting some tubing for it and installing it

I really want a bullet feeder

• 1 year later...