Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Travel with PCC

This might be a dumb question and has probably already been answered. 

How do you travel to matches with your PCC when you have to fly? 

Break it down and put it in a smaller case or leave the gun complete and just check the gun case on its own? Assuming you leave the optic on the rifle when you fly?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny story about flying with guns for the first time,

Going to the Superstition Mountain 3gun match in Mesa Arizona with a well traveled buddy.

He told me to have the bolt locked back on my rifle and shotgun so the TSA person could see that neither gun was loaded.

That way I would not have to handle the guns. He asked how does he know the guns were un-loaded? I explained where the shells go and that he could see there was nothing in the chambers. He would not except that. A local cop was walking by. The TSA called him over and he told him the guns were not loaded. The TSA never checked my pistol that was in a separate case.

The TSA in Mesa opened my case for the trip back and said, "man, you don't shoot rabbits with that" and off I went.

Moral. Depends on who checks your guns.

44 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@dmshozer1 you’re lucky guy #1 didn’t just wing it. I’ve had a counterperson sweep half the airport with the muzzle.

I field-strip guns nowdays. 

“This is the barrel right over here...”

”That works. Have a safe flight.”

That is exactly what I did with my shotgun and pistol,

I separated the rifle and put a chamber flag in. Should have done that in the first place.

Live and learn I guess.

And don't book stops through mag-restricted states.  I've heard too many horror stories about flight problems resulting in claiming your luggage and having to check in again.  Then when they inspect, you have illegal mags for the state you're in.  I fly home to visit my parents through Baltimore, so if I pack my Production gun to use up there, I make sure I take the 10-rd mags going through MD.

Edited by JAFO
3 hours ago, JAFO said:

And don't book stops through mag-restricted states.  I've heard too many horror stories about flight problems resulting in claiming your luggage and having to check in again.  Then when they inspect, you have illegal mags for the state you're in.  I fly home to visit my parents through Baltimore, so if I pack my Production gun to use up there, I make sure I take the 10-rd mags going through MD.

Maryland

Law: 4–301

Magazine Capacity Limit: 10 Rounds

Details: New restrictions went into effect on Oct. 1, 2013. Maryland law prohibits manufacture, sale, or transfer within the state of detached magazines of greater than 10-round capacity, but does not restrict possession of such magazines. The limit does not apply to tubular .22 caliber rifle magazines.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, BlackBuzzard said:

Maryland

Law: 4–301

Magazine Capacity Limit: 10 Rounds

Details: New restrictions went into effect on Oct. 1, 2013. Maryland law prohibits manufacture, sale, or transfer within the state of detached magazines of greater than 10-round capacity, but does not restrict possession of such magazines. The limit does not apply to tubular .22 caliber rifle magazines.

Thanks.  That's good to know.  :cheers:

Edited by JAFO

TSA locks are able to be opened by just about anybody, they are not appropriate for firearms. The only key that should be able to open locks for firearms should be the one in the owners possession. 

Edited by 12Bravo

22 minutes ago, 12Bravo said:

TSA locks are able to be opened by just about anybody, they are not appropriate for firearms. The only key that should be able to open locks for firearms should be the one in the owners possession. 

I agree.  Since you have to declare the gun anyway, there's no need for the TSA locks if the gun is the only thing in the golf club case.  They shouldn't be opening it to inspect unless you're present.

On 3/13/2018 at 4:50 PM, XD Niner said:

I put the whole rifle bag in an old hard case for golf clubs with TSA locks.  The case is all scuffed and looks like crap.  No one is interested in what they assume are golf clubs within it.  So far, so good.

You are required by law to declare any firearms to the check-in agent.  Checking guns in "stealth mode" is very illegal and carries the same penalties as bringing a loaded firearm on board a plane.  Further, since your guns are not declared, you will have no recourse if they are stolen by baggage workers in transit because the airline will have no record of you actually checking a firearm.  Bad idea all around.

10 hours ago, BartCarter said:

I read it that he did declare, but just used the golf club case as the gun case.  That would make sense.

Nothing in his statement indicated whether he declared, or didn't declare. But since he's using TSA locks, which is already against the law, I assumed he didn't bother complying with other laws either.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:51 AM, ClangClang said:

It's a pretty fair assumption.

You should be very careful about your assumptions.  Why would you think that I, or anyone for that matter, would try to smuggle guns through the air transport system with the associated risks? 

Of course I declare the guns.  The guns are safely protected in a carbine sized case with Master padlocks and then put in the hard sided golf club case to disguise the appearance.  That way any potential thieves will make an incorrect assumption.

Edited by XD Niner

Don’t know if this is true, but my cc instructor said that the major benefit of travelling w/guns is that the case can be locked by the owner, unlike all other baggage. So cameras, jewelry, etc. can travel w/o baggage handlers having access to the goodies.

1 hour ago, xtian999 said:

Don’t know if this is true, but my cc instructor said that the major benefit of travelling w/guns is that the case can be locked by the owner, unlike all other baggage. So cameras, jewelry, etc. can travel w/o baggage handlers having access to the goodies.

FAA regulations require that the owner of the firearm is the only one who can have the ability to unlock the case. As someone who flies with a checked handgun a few times a year, your CC instructor was telling you accurate information.

You do not use “TSA” locks which the agents have master keys for. These are required for all other baggage, but not allowed  on a firearm case.

(Also show up early enough that you can drop your bag off at the counter then hang around for 10 minutes or so before going through security just in case the TSA agents want to take a look inside the case.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic
13 hours ago, xtian999 said:

I thought that was what he meant. So declaring a firearm allows the secure shipping of guns and other valueables. Nice!

Yes.  I know some people who travel with high dollar camera equipment that throw a cheap pocket pistol in the case just so they can do that.

2 hours ago, bwikel said:

Ammo can travel in your locked gun case as long as it is contained in a package and not loose. You cannot have ammo loaded in your mags and most airlines limit you to about 11 bs. of total ammo. 

Not accurate.  Mags can be loaded unless your airline specifically prohibits it. Check your airline's travel FAQ to be sure.

Pulled directly from the TSA website 30 seconds ago:

image.png.b24acb1477491c3592047b05b7e34f94.png