Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

About to buy in

So I’m about to buy in to the pcc game and wanted to know some opinions. There are some nice custom builds for sale here in the classifieds for a decent price based on pa lowers with taccom uppers and barrels with high end accessories or I could go with a new JP gmr. What’s the advantages or disadvantages to this route. Obviously gmr will be close to 2k and the used tricked out one WITH an optic is $1,300. But something makes me feel safe about a full JP build from them. No worries about quality or build quality etc. what’s everyone’s opinion? Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm probably going to get bashed for this....so here we go.

Let me start off by saying I have a PSA upper and lower with a Hiperfire 24C and C-more railway 6moa dot.  I've never had a malfunction or issue with the rifle.  I dry fire it 4-5 days a week.  My Daughter has the same rifle except she has the billet lower and I have the forged.  She has considerably less rounds through her gun than me through mine.  With ALL my money going to my Divorce lawyer over the last 2 years.  It was in my best interest to go this route. it Allowed me to put more lead downrange for both of us.  Get what you feel comfortable with and practice.  For me saving the money on a tricked out custom was a no brainer allowing me to buy more reloading components.

I went with the GMR 15 and couldn't be happier. I have about 1,500 rds through it and not one malfunction. The trigger has broken in nicely to right at 3 lbs, clean and crisp. I got it from Shooters connection for $1,800 and it was at my LGS in less than a week after I ordered it. It is box stock, haven't done a thing to it.

If you can put together furniture from IKEA, you should be able to build one just the way you like it for much less than the GMR.  Nothing wrong with the GMR (besides being on the heavy side), but no reason you can’t build something comparable.   Bunch of info on setups that have worked well. 

Hold a GMR, and hold a TACCOM ULW.  Or just hold the ULW.  The GMR is a great gun, but I guarantee you’ll be planning a TACCOM build. The weight and balance are amazing.

When I shot a GMR my impression was “Nice gun, but I’ll wait”.  I shot exactly 5 rounds through a ULW and started my own build.  I now have 2 ULW uppers and two friends want me to build them identical rifles.   And, by the way, the original ULW I shot was owned by the same guy who let me shoot his GMR, which now sits unused in his safe.  

man you're all-in on the shooting sports!!  yeah, you won't be disappointed with  JP PCC.  I got the GMR-13 a year and a half ago, 14.5"+ "brake" to get to 16".  other than trigger freeze the first time out (must have had some crud or crap in there) it's been 100% in all my matches.  it doesn't have bolt lock back after last round but with a 41 round mag, either you never get to that point or can plan a reload somewhere, so that doesn't matter.  pay a little more, get an awesome turnkey product.  i've been running $8/box (shipped, palmetto sale a bit ago) blazer aluminum 115g thru it with no issues (as well as fed 147 and 124 and blazer brass 124).

My two cents is assemble your own if at all possible, and do it from a list of components that you came up with. Components that suited your particular wants, needs, and desires.

Then, come the first time you shoot it, and it goes bang, cycles, then goes bang again, you'll appreciate it that much more. :D 

I purchased a GMR-13 and it ran 100% and I was really happy with it.  I started messing with the buffer and made it feel a LOT better than stock and was even happier.

Handled a friend's Taccom ULW barreled gun and it was amazing.  Built a complete side charging upper with Taccom bolt, tension barrel and handguard and cut over a pound

off the muzzle of my JP and it still runs 100% but is a lot faster and softer.  

The JP is a great carbine, but it is heavy for a competition PCC piece.  Just stick with a combination of pieces that are proven to play well together and you will be fine.

Try to reinvent the wheel and be prepared to work through problems instead of shooting.

I have no personal knowledge of the Taccom ULW upper rifle in the classifieds (that you are looking at) but I would get it in a second if I did not have what I have built.  Pretty sure you cannot buy the parts to build it for what he is asking for it.   Get some magazines and you are set with the best of the best parts.

14 minutes ago, hlpressley said:

Just out of curiosity, how much are these Taccom builds coming in at weight wise? 

A lot of options here but most that I have seen vary from 5lbs to 6.5lbs.  With the ULW barrel they should be below 6 lbs.

I have the tension barrel and side charger upper and mine is 6.5, but both of those options are heavier than a ULW barrel and standard upper.

A lot of options here but most that I have seen vary from 5lbs to 6.5lbs.  With the ULW barrel they should be below 6 lbs.

I have the tension barrel and side charger upper and mine is 6.5, but both of those options are heavier than a ULW barrel and standard upper.

Pm sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22 minutes ago, L9X25 said:

Thanks. So my 10.5” PSA build that comes in at exactly 6lbs with an optic isn’t heavy at all. Good to know. 

To me, where the weight is has a lot to do with how it feels to shoot.  Having a heavier stock makes little to no difference in how the rifle feels and can even make it feel better due to reduced recoil.  Having more weight on the barrel end tends to make the rifle transition slower and makes the rifle feel a lot heavier than it may be.  Going to a TACCOM ULW barrel and handguard removes about 1.5 lbs from exactly the place where you feel it the most.  Radically changes how the carbine handles.

I have two ULW barreled uppers that I run on the same lower.  One of them is the TACCOM  built ultra lightweight with a carbon fiber forearm that weighs in at 6 pounds 1.5 ounces with an RTS2. The other is one I built with the midwest industries lightweight forearm and iron sights that weighs 6 pounds 6.5 ounces. I could drop another pound off the overall setup by changing to a  Smoke carbon fiber stock, but like previous posters have said, I like the balance point as it is and suspect the extra weight in the rear is paying dividends in soaking up recoil energy.  These balance right at the trigger.  

Edited by jkrispies
12 hours ago, sandrooney said:

I went with the GMR 15 and couldn't be happier. I have about 1,500 rds through it and not one malfunction. The trigger has broken in nicely to right at 3 lbs, clean and crisp. I got it from Shooters connection for $1,800 and it was at my LGS in less than a week after I ordered it. It is box stock, haven't done a thing to it.

I did the exact same thing and could not be happier.  I have 2400 rounds through mine without any malfuctions. 

Well, it's the end of the year so I'll pipe in. We are just over 25K on a GMR13 and I finally hit 20K on my first GMR13. I trust my GMRs more than any other gun I own. Reliability has won me matches when I simply wasn't the best shooter. 

All that aside, I have run random factory and a plethora of reloads from folks shooting the GMR in matches. The JP had eaten every bullet profile and power factor from major down to 60 PF. If it's 9mm and it fits a GLOCK mag it will work. If you want to buy a PCC that you can take out of the box and go win matches without wasting time screwing with it getting it to run, get the JP. 

I'm biased though. :rolleyes:

Obviously, JP makes an incredible rifle.  However, it is expensive, and I think an argument can be made that it's overkill for USPSA.  Also, they're pretty heavy.  If you like to dry fire and practice a lot you may find a heavy PCC wears on the elbows pretty quickly.  I personally love my Taccom ULW built on a QC10 lower, and it afforded me the opportunity to have more free cash to experiment and customize than a JP.  I do pretty well with it, but it's not any sort of competitive advantage.  Decent shooters can do well with any PCC that runs.

If you have the money to spend on a JP you might also investigate the Sig MPX.  Competitors do very well with these guns and claim they are super soft shooting because they are not blowback guns.  However, they are quite expensive after you add up all you need to get it competition ready.

I've done a taccom build, a jp, and an MPX. They will all get you to GM. I personally prefer the MPX and have since sold the other two. Now you also have options of a taccom MPX front end. The softer impulse is nice, but what I like most about the MPX is the mags. They are 100% reliable period. I haven't had a single malfunction on my MPX and have a tax stamp in to make it an 8 inch SBR at some point hopefully before next season.

All you need for the MPX is a hiperfire trigger, a stock adapter, a buffer tube, and your favorite AR stock. 

The only reason I would go back to a blow-back is to tune one to easily bump fire like Max Leograndis. But my .11 splits aren't going to be the thing holding me back for a long time. My gains are in transitions and footwork at this point. Master at the moment and first two GM classifiers next season will get me to GM. 

I started with a JP GMR-13. I am a big fan of JP equipment and have lots of it.

That being said, I sold the GMR-13 and now have two rigs based on Taccom ULW uppers. They are just so much lighter and swing and stop very fast.

We have a gent here at our local club who waited 4+ months for his JP GMR-15 and then built a Taccom rig. At last count we have 6 Shooters here at our club who have rigs based on the Taccom ULW uppers.

Either way you go, PCC is a very fun devision to play in.

Yes it is a lot of fun. I have only shot 2 PCC matches so far and gun handling was my main concern in both (I am Master in open and have no problem with gun handling there). I am having to think to much during the course of fire to start getting smoother and faster, or it could be that I am 65 years old starting a new division and I am just slow and senile. Either way PCC is a lot of fun and as I said earlier I couldn't be happier with my GMR -15.    

10 minutes ago, sandrooney said:

Yes it is a lot of fun. I have only shot 2 PCC matches so far and gun handling was my main concern in both (I am Master in open and have no problem with gun handling there). I am having to think to much during the course of fire to start getting smoother and faster, or it could be that I am 65 years old starting a new division and I am just slow and senile. Either way PCC is a lot of fun and as I said earlier I couldn't be happier with my GMR -15.    

Yes, slow and senile. I know that because at 71 I'm slow and senile. I've shot six matches, built two guns, contemplating a third, and am having a ball. When I'm at a match and I'm shooting my way through a stage, in that brief ten minutes I'm a kid again. What a feeling!

I know I'm not smooth. I can't even go to the bathroom without something screwing up. But who cares. As long as I can keep me and the Super 1050 lubed up, I'm gonna be out there.

Oh yeah. Gun number three is going to be the lightest PCC in the world. You'll think Mattel made it. Stay tuned. :) 

2 hours ago, sandrooney said:

You ARE old and probably ARE senile or are about to get that way!!! Join the club.

I am pushing 76 and speak with great knowledge! I shoot USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, PCC, 3gun, Trap and Skeet.

I have as much or more fun than most. Where I place is not my priority anymore. It used to be but those days are gone. Fun has always been my priority!

Kick some of the younger guys ass, and enjoy it. I do!

Good luck to you.

Take care

Trying to decide on my first pcc build

Large frame or Small frame QC10 ?

Ramped or not Taccom ULW upper??

I wish they made a Taccom ULW upper with a 10 inch barrel as I prefer the higher velocity capability 

How is the aluminum shroud attached to the Taccom 5.25 inch barrel?

Wondering about a DIY shroud on a 8 to 10 inch barrel...