Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not more Stock 3s?

AzNooB

I like my S3.  A lot.  In fact, I'm selling my S2 so I can get another S3.  The S3 is a 'little' more weight forward in the hand, and I am easily distracted by the glint of silver around a front sight that is 'too low.'  I like not having a reverse plug on the guide rod - but that's REALLY minor.  The finish on the S3 wears fast, so if you like the 'battle worn' look -an S3 and a few months of practice will give you that nicely.   The other reason folks shoot the S2 is Ben.  He kinda has won a bunch of stuff with his.

38 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Stock IIs are shiny :wub:

My only shiny guns right now, I like that about it but it doesn't seem like with me personally that makes the sale. 

Else, I think the question is the same as "why don't more people shoot 5.5 and 6" limited guns?" . Can not say that I know the answer except that perhaps you reach a certain length where most people feel that going farther seems to create more drawbacks than improvements. 

Would like to get a 3 and see how it worked for me, perhaps, anyone know the difference in sight radius? 

2 hours ago, KelsonAK said:

The other reason folks shoot the S2 is Ben.  He kinda has won a bunch of stuff with his.

Who?   (joke)

I actually got my first tanfos before any uspsa involvement or even hearing about "Ben". (Yes, i do live under a rock!)

[Sight radius is 1/4" longer on s3 over s2]

Edited by johnbu

8 hours ago, goshimu said:

The answer is going to be the conical bull barrel and people’s preference for it, that and hard chrome finish.

In AU they are the same length. So the s2 is best of both worlds.

My understanding was the AU version s2 were 4.93" long barrel. (Correct?) Is the s3 also that length?

I don’t have the measurements on me atm John but the AU S2 is essentially a DA Limited. Fairly certain the exact same length as the s3. I’ll measure it when I get the chance.

29 minutes ago, johnbu said:

My understanding was the AU version s2 were 4.93" long barrel. (Correct?) Is the s3 also that length?

19 hours ago, goshimu said:

The answer is going to be the conical bull barrel and people’s preference for it, that and hard chrome finish.

And the way the gun balances. I loved the weight out front in my 3, but most shooters found it bothersome.  

Stock 2 popularity:

1. Balance / handling

2. More mechanically accurate (both are scary good shooters)

3. Much tougher finish

4. The Ben Factor.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

21 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

And the way the gun balances. I loved the weight out front in my 3, but most shooters found it bothersome.  

Stock 2 popularity:

1. Balance / handling

3. Much tougher finish

4. The Ben Factor.

Makes sense. I've never laid hands on an S3 but it looks cool in pictures lol.

21 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Stock 2 popularity:

1. Balance / handling

3. Much tougher finish

4. The Ben Factor.

I shot with a guy last weekend who's S2 was rusting pretty bad.  

• 2 weeks later...