Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaner and Lubricant?

wally0206

Just wanted to see what is everyone's go to cleaner and lubricant for the tanfoglio, i am currently using RAND but don't really like it too much for it seems to have a lot of residue and build up after use. thought about going back to breakfree clp, but was curious what everyone likes.

Thanks!

I have been using Royal Purple for about 3 years exclusively on my guns, and it’s been pretty awesome. Doesn’t get gummy in cold temps and I’ve shot it in -6 temps previously up here in the PNW. Doesn’t get runny in hot temps. Makes cleaning the gun easier too. It dang near wipes off. Been very impressed with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotella T6 (5w-40) and Corrosion-X

I have found that contrary to popular belief, grease does NOT stay where you put it when the firearm cycles, and really holds onto dirt.

Corrosion X goes on small springs and things to prevent corrosion, it creeps into small places well. T6 is my lubricant of choice because I use it in my cars.

If I need an extra drop or 2 on the rails or something, I keep a small bottle of the corrosion-X in my bag.

The T-6 is designed to suspend carbon....not sure what that means in a handgun, but that and/or the detergents sure make cleaning a breeze. 

In wear tests I have done the T6 was 2nd only to a rather thick industrial lubricant (Mobil SHC-634) but that stuff is too thick for guns IMO, and the T-6 was very close.

I've used Corrosion-X for decades, only adding the T6 after doing tests on a large number of gun lubes, CLPs, and greases. (AMsoil Motorcycle oil seems pretty good as well, came in 3rd.)

My tests were a plain ring (think hole saw with no teeth) onto a bar of steel, and a small weight (about #5) on the handle of the press.

Other tests show how much effort is needed to stop a spinning bearing....mine shows wear on the bearing with a constant pressure. Take it for what it's worth.

You're supposed to clean guns? ? I usually use whatever lube I can find, but atm its weaponshield lube or grease or slip2000.

Carbon suspension means the carbon buildup on the gun that you'd usually have to scrub with a copper brush instead is contained within the lubricant, thus making cleaning way easier since you just wipe away the lube and then reapply.

For cleaning, "Oil Eater" works amazingly well, is cheap as hell, and is not flammable, or toxic, nor does it hurt aluminum.
Also prevents rust so after cleaning, you don't have to an oil bath like you do with most ultrasonic cleaners.... I just run it in a small 6 gallon parts washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I'm not tearing the whole pistol down, I like using Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner and blast out the dirt and buildup out of the frame, slide and barrel.  You don't have to worry about wiping it completely out of the slide and frame because it dries itself pretty quick and leaves a non slick invisible dry lube film behind.  I run a brush and swab down the barrel after, lube the rails, trigger assembly and disco with lucas pen oiler and use slide glide on the barrel lugs and a little inside the slide in the lug grooves.  Works great

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, sl33py said:

Wow - i've not seen so many gun folks use regular dino oil on guns before.  I've always like the biodegradable and less chemical cleaners/lubes like MPro and now Froglube.  Bit spendy though...

Mobil1 is synthetic. No Dinos involved.

Works great. Lifetime supply of gun oil is $8.

36 minutes ago, xdr said:

No one using slide glide for lube?

It doesn’t do anything that red synthetic bearing grease from the local auto parts store doesn’t do.

I grease the action: the metal on metal wear points in the trigger mechanism of every gun I own. Oil elsewhere. Keep grease off the slide rails and other reciprocating parts in the cold. ;) 

34 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It doesn’t do anything that red synthetic bearing grease from the local auto parts store doesn’t do.

I grease the action: the metal on metal wear points in the trigger mechanism of every gun I own. Oil elsewhere. Keep grease off the slide rails and other reciprocating parts in the cold. ;) 

My dirty, slide glide lubed, accushadow was choking up the other day. It wasnt too cold, about 45,  but I think it was just cold enough to matter? I took the slide off put some oil on the rails and no more problems.   

Though, it could been dirty grease = sludge that gunk's up moving parts.  

I think slide glide has a different (thicker) consistency than moly grease.  I like it better but not if I gotta clean my guns every 300 rnds. I think I had about 2k or so when this happens. 

Edited by B_RAD

I really dislike grease in most places on guns.

Frog lube is a decent corrosion inhibitor, but doesn't do much for wear... reportedly gums things up when Cold.

On areas that are prone to wear, I'll drop in a good oil (Mobil 1 is fine. As are most synthetics...) on the rest, I'm mainly worried about corrosion resistance, so they get corrosion X.