Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Guy Looking Into a Trigger

mgarro385

Hello everyone,

I'm new around here. I got into competitive shooting a few months ago and it has been an absolute blast! 3 gun is definitely my favorite game. 

Anyhow, I am looking to replace the mil-spec trigger in my AR. So far all I have looked at was a Timney Competition trigger, since a friend of mine has this trigger, I tried it, felt pretty awesome. I noticed on their website that the trigger is available in 3, 4, and 4.5 pound pull weights, all for same price. I am curious, why would somebody not prefer the 3 lb pull weight over the 4? Are light strikes a possible issue with the 3lb? 

Also, I am all ears to better trigger suggestions. I have looked into the JP Enterprises reduced power spring kit, but from what I can gather, light strikes are an issue. And since I only shoot Wolf steel ammo (college student, so budget is limited) with berdan primers, I am sure I will have that issue as well.  

Thanks in advance

6 hours ago, mgarro385 said:

looking to replace the mil-spec trigger in my AR.  

I did the same thing few months ago   :)

Went to a CMC trigger (4.5 lbs).

Felt remarkable after the mil-spec, but when I started doing some precision shooting it wasn't 

really "good enough".

I have never shot any of the lighter, better triggers, but I'd suggest you go for a better trigger

right off the bat.

CMC is Much Better than Mil-spec, but really not a great trigger.

I'd spend a little more coin the first time, and get something real good   in my humble opinion    :) 

One of the best triggers out there, is also one of the cheapest. The jp trigger kit is a great deal, if you're willing to do some leg work. I've personally used jp,hyperfire, elftmann, timney, and triggertech. I've currently got triggertech, and the timmey Calvin elite. They are both great triggers. There isn't a "best" trigger. There are a bunch of great ones. Try as many as possible, pick the one you like and run with it. 

8 hours ago, tattooo said:

I have a 3lb Timney, never had one light strike. Crisp clean amazing trigger.

If you don't mind me asking, what ammo do you use? I mostly shoot Wolf steel primarily due to limited monthly budget (I buy brass for 1 match where the club says no steel case on their steel targets). From what I have read, the Russian berdan primers are harder than commercial domestic primers. 

I would just hate to buy the trigger and have reliability issues. 

Thanks

22 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

If you are concerned about light strikes, get a Hyperfire trigger.  It is set up to hit harder than most other light weight AR triggers.  

Just looked at that...wow...that might be my choice!  

Check out the Elftmann triggers.  I have several of those and hiperfires and the Elf are much more crisp.  The Elf triggers also have a pretty stout hammer spring, which I wouldn't be worried about light strikes with it

I bought in on the hiperfire 24c hype and swapped it for my POF shot two range sessions and switched back to the POF for next competition.  For the money I don't think you can beat POF or even velocity triggers.

Edited by Hawk21

I have 2 AR-15's: JP CTR-02 and a POF Renegade. The Renegade isn't one of their higher end models but it's still nice. The JP hands-down smokes the POF. Even after de-deburring/polishing the POF, which helped a little, the JP smoked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/27/2017 at 8:53 AM, nheiny13 said:

Check out the Elftmann triggers.  I have several of those and hiperfires and the Elf are much more crisp.  The Elf triggers also have a pretty stout hammer spring, which I wouldn't be worried about light strikes with it

Not sure about which model Elf trigger you have, but I thought some of the competition models had light strike issues with CCI 41 primers and I believe harder mil spec primers.  

Cost no object, I still like AR Gold and Wilson Combat TTU.  Heard good things about Trigger Tech as a mid-price option that people seem to like better than AR Gold.  CMC has a great reputation for setting off the hardest primers (Not the sexiest, newest, hottest, option though).  

Here's a good comparison of some options too...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/04/jeremy-s/ar-15-drop-in-trigger-roundup/

The ELF triggers are very nice.  The other trigger I think is a great value is the CMC.  I've got a Hiperfire 24 I've never used that I'd let go cheap and a slightly used ELF trigger I'd make a deal on.  PM if interested in either.

3 hours ago, bagdrag said:

Not sure about which model Elf trigger you have, but I thought some of the competition models had light strike issues with CCI 41 primers and I believe harder mil spec primers.  

That is the first time I've ever heard of light strike issues with an Elf.  I believe the hammer spring is heavier than a mil spec spring, so it makes me wonder if there were other issues that were causing the light strikes

I agree with  going with the Hiperfire 24 triggers.  The lighter the trigger pull the harder the hammer hits.  I've got the 24-3G and I like it much more than the Timney 3lb and Velocity 3.5 lb I own on other guns and a lot more than any of the single stage Geissele triggers. Those triggers didn't reliably set off my 22LR upper but the Hiperfire has never missed a beat.

Your're in luck!  Today you have plenty of choices of great drop-in trigger for $150 or less.  A couple of years ago you had to spend $250+ for a good trigger.

CMC, Timney, POF, Velocity, etc.  They're all good.

This guy did a great job of reviewing quite a few:  http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/04/jeremy-s/ar-15-drop-in-trigger-roundup/

This info is also useful:  http://www.recoilweb.com/ar15triggerguide-1/

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2017 at 10:11 PM, mgarro385 said:

Hello everyone,

I'm new around here. I got into competitive shooting a few months ago and it has been an absolute blast! 3 gun is definitely my favorite game. 

Anyhow, I am looking to replace the mil-spec trigger in my AR. So far all I have looked at was a Timney Competition trigger, since a friend of mine has this trigger, I tried it, felt pretty awesome. I noticed on their website that the trigger is available in 3, 4, and 4.5 pound pull weights, all for same price. I am curious, why would somebody not prefer the 3 lb pull weight over the 4? Are light strikes a possible issue with the 3lb? 

Also, I am all ears to better trigger suggestions. I have looked into the JP Enterprises reduced power spring kit, but from what I can gather, light strikes are an issue. And since I only shoot Wolf steel ammo (college student, so budget is limited) with berdan primers, I am sure I will have that issue as well.  

Thanks in advance

My man triggers are like girlfriends they all feel different and shooters are the only folk who will let you feel theirs so fondle as many as you can and go with what turns you on because looks and function may be a matter of taste kind of like the girlfriend thing:lol:

• 3 weeks later...