Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disable grip safety or not.

HerdThinner

18 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

It's not the primary safety, and not required by the rules, so what exactly is the problem with disabling it?  

Competitor falling and gun flying during stage time.

Not that it's any worse - with grip safety disabled, than a CZ or similar, though.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine always worked fin in practice but I'd have the grip safety bite me in matches... I always pinned or deactivated.

Occasionally I used brown masking tape to wrap the grip mid match If I forgot to due one of those 2 things in advance.

If the mainspring housing is plastic, pin it.

If the mainspring housing is steel, cut the nose off the grip safety.

A fumbled draw, with a subsequent FTF because of poor hand placement on the grip, can cost you a stage.

The only reason the grip safety is there in the first place is because the Army wasn't confident enough in their training of new recruits and asked Mr. Browning to add another safety.

As stated earlier, ruining a grip safety is not the best move. You'll have to put a new one on if you sell the gun or ever want to reactivate it, and they almost always require blending, which may necessitate refinishing of the gun. 

If you can drill a plastic housing, you can drill a metal one. Drill press not required (but makes the job much easier). Or pay someone to do it. It's cheaper than fitting and blending a new BTGS and refinishing your gun.

Or use the shock buff method mentioned. Or the rubber band, or tape. Any of them is better than ruining a part.

18 minutes ago, Oldminger said:

A dropped gun with a light trigger and no grip safety...uhmmm! 

Please research Richard Cho 

That happened because he tried to grab it mid air right? Let it fall!

My four 2011s and my one single stack all have pinned grip safeties. There is no real reason to keep the grip safety active, and it will just cost time if you end up with a sub-optimal grip on a rushed draw.

On 7/26/2017 at 7:44 PM, robertg5322 said:

As stated earlier, ruining a grip safety is not the best move. You'll have to put a new one on if you sell the gun or ever want to reactivate it, and they almost always require blending, which may necessitate refinishing of the gun. 

If you can drill a plastic housing, you can drill a metal one. Drill press not required (but makes the job much easier). Or pay someone to do it. It's cheaper than fitting and blending a new BTGS and refinishing your gun.

Or use the shock buff method mentioned. Or the rubber band, or tape. Any of them is better than ruining a part.

Not true.

Of the last three 2011's I sold, one was pinned and the other two had the grip safety deactivated.  The buyers were glad to get them that way.

As to drilling the metal ones. Perhaps some maybe, but the CK I had used a hardened mainspring housing. I didn't have anything that small in carbide.

So you think that ruining the looks of a $3000 gun, by duct taping the grip, is preferable to ruining a needless part? To each his own, I guess.                 

Edited by MikieM

As I posted previously, my present 1911s just have the arm removed from the grip safety, but even when I pinned them I would remove the arm from the grip safety.  I never had anyone complain in quite a few sales over the years.  It's a choice you make so do it the way you wish.  Besides, you can remove the grip safety without lowering or removing the mainspring housing if the arm is removed.  This makes adjusting the spring tension easier if you like playing with the trigger pull - as quite a few people do.

Your gun, your choice. Not judging, but generally speaking, I don't recommend anyone do anything to a gun "safety"  (yes I know it's a redundant "feature" that doesn't even exist on most other guns) that is not easily reversible. Not saying don't do it, but if there are reversible methods, why recommend someone chop a part that may (or may not) have to be replaced and will necessitate expensive work when there are ways that don't destroy the part?

And why remove the arm if the unit is pinned? Just asking...

Food for thought. If someone is accidentally  shot with a gun you sold with the grip safety deactivated and it goes to court. Could be a bummer for you. 

Good thing I shoot revolvers. ✌

Steve RA - Most smiths modify the arm on the grip safety so you can remove it without dropping the ms housing.  It's not necessary to remove the entire arm to do that.

revoman - We're talking about competition guns.  So that's a highly unlikely scenario.  For a carry or defensive gun, I recommend against deactivating any safety or making any modifications that could potentially lead to liability.  Safest bet for carry and defensive guns is to leave it stock except for maybe sights and grips. 

10 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Steve RA - Most smiths modify the arm on the grip safety so you can remove it without dropping the ms housing.  It's not necessary to remove the entire arm to do that.

revoman - We're talking about competition guns.  So that's a highly unlikely scenario.  For a carry or defensive gun, I recommend against deactivating any safety or making any modifications that could potentially lead to liability.  Safest bet for carry and defensive guns is to leave it stock except for maybe sights and grips. 

This, ^^^^ and more specifically we are talking about 1911 pattern competition guns (including 2011 and variants). So comments about self defense, carry safety, Glocks, XDM's, or any other similar gun doesn't apply. If you think disabling the grip safety is unsafe, don't look at some of the holsters we use. :o

14 hours ago, revoman said:

Food for thought. If someone is accidentally  shot with a gun you sold with the grip safety deactivated and it goes to court. Could be a bummer for you. 

Good thing I shoot revolvers. ✌

I did think about it so I called my Sister, who is not a practicing attorney, but plays one on TV, and asked her about it.

It was her opinion that if the buyer was aware of the deactivated safety at the time of the sale, then the seller was off the hook.

Also, it is true that anyone can sue anybody over just about anything, but filing a petition and getting a case to court are two different things.

7 hours ago, MikieM said:

I did think about it so I called my Sister, who is not a practicing attorney, but plays one on TV, and asked her about it.

It was her opinion that if the buyer was aware of the deactivated safety at the time of the sale, then the seller was off the hook.

Also, it is true that anyone can sue anybody over just about anything, but filing a petition and getting a case to court are two different things.

Lots of liberal hearts out there just waiting in the wings.

11 hours ago, MikieM said:

Good luck convincing the injured party of that one.  It's a pretty safe bet that plaintiff is going to sue anyone who is even remotely involved.  And surely that's going to include the person that modified the firearm.  On top of that, there are enormous jurisdictional variations in standards of responsibility and personal liability,  So a blanket statement like that is essentially worthless.