Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disable grip safety or not.

HerdThinner

On 7/27/2017 at 10:03 AM, Oldminger said:

A dropped gun with a light trigger and no grip safety...uhmmm! 

Please research Richard Cho 

Then what ? Glocks should be banned from limited division and m&ps...?  That's getting a little out of hand.  Just drill and pin as I lined out earlier or use a rubber band or tape like some of the others have suggested.  

Edited by StuckinMS

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely pinning is the way to go. With the proper grip, Thumb up on safety most folks have trouble reliably disengaging them. It is easy to reverse by simply removing the main spring housing to access and remove the pin.

calvert

6 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Good luck convincing the injured party of that one.  It's a pretty safe bet that plaintiff is going to sue anyone who is even remotely involved.  And surely that's going to include the person that modified the firearm.  On top of that, there are enormous jurisdictional variations in standards of responsibility and personal liability,  So a blanket statement like that is essentially worthless.

Not any more worthless than the one you just made.

Here's the deal. Pin it. Whack it off. Or, leave it alone. It's your choice.

But, if (or when) you lose a stage because your gun didn't go off from a poor grip then don't complain. Take comfort in knowing that when you sell the gun the guy you sold it to won't be suing you because the grip safety doesn't work. 

17 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Here's the deal. Pin it. Whack it off. Or, leave it alone. It's your choice.

But, if (or when) you lose a stage because your gun didn't go off from a poor grip then don't complain. Take comfort in knowing that when you sell the gun the guy you sold it to won't be suing you because the grip safety doesn't work. 

Wise words of wisdom. ???NOT ?

"Take comfort in knowing that when you sell the gun the guy you sold it to won't be suing you because the grip safety doesn't work."

Just until someone gets hurt. Hope it nevers happens but a gun with a 3/4lb to 1 1/2lb trigger and grip safety not working and it is dropped or in the hands of a new and inexperienced shooter. Bummer for all involved. Even though it has not happened that we know of and it could have happened but no one was hurt. Why take the chance. Just my 2 cents worth which is probably not worth 2 cents. Me when I do shoot mt 1911's or 2011's I practice my grip to insure the grip safety is activated. Don't have to worry much on my revolver.

6 hours ago, revoman said:

"Take comfort in knowing that when you sell the gun the guy you sold it to won't be suing you because the grip safety doesn't work."

Just until someone gets hurt. Hope it nevers happens but a gun with a 3/4lb to 1 1/2lb trigger and grip safety not working and it is dropped or in the hands of a new and inexperienced shooter. Bummer for all involved. Even though it has not happened that we know of and it could have happened but no one was hurt. Why take the chance. Just my 2 cents worth which is probably not worth 2 cents. Me when I do shoot mt 1911's or 2011's I practice my grip to insure the grip safety is activated. Don't have to worry much on my revolver.

I prefer a grip with no functioning "safety".  Some prefer no grip safety at all.  I have never heard of it making a 1911 more dangerous than it otherwise is---with no finger on the trigger.

Sheriff Jim Wilson wrote a little about this several years ago.  Nice little article:

http://sheriffjimwilson.com/2011/09/30/one-to-rely-on/

2 hours ago, Bruce said:

I prefer a grip with no functioning "safety".  Some prefer no grip safety at all.  I have never heard of it making a 1911 more dangerous than it otherwise is---with no finger on the trigger.

Sheriff Jim Wilson wrote a little about this several years ago.  Nice little article:

http://sheriffjimwilson.com/2011/09/30/one-to-rely-on/

I am just saying in some hands this is not good as Jim Wilson quoted " I don’t recommend this for novice shooters"  

38 minutes ago, revoman said:

I am just saying in some hands this is not good as Jim Wilson quoted " I don’t recommend this for novice shooters"  

Better make sure you install a 6#+ trigger before you sell, and don't sell any of those hi-capacity mags, ya know the ones that kill babies and children.

Also a good idea to remove the RDS, those are super dangerous in inexperienced hands as well. 

1 hour ago, toothandnail said:

Better make sure you install a 6#+ trigger before you sell, and don't sell any of those hi-capacity mags, ya know the ones that kill babies and children.

Also a good idea to remove the RDS, those are super dangerous in inexperienced hands as well. 

Don't forget to mandate mag disconnects for all guns.

Boy you auto guys are testie but then you are all pros and know all the tricks to make you better shooters. Too bad you can't recognize a troll or maybe you spend too much time looking for the best gimmick to make you a better shooter. I'm out a here but pin and whack away but don't whack too hard as it will bruise. ✌out 

11 hours ago, revoman said:

Boy you auto guys are testie but then you are all pros and know all the tricks to make you better shooters. Too bad you can't recognize a troll or maybe you spend too much time looking for the best gimmick to make you a better shooter. I'm out a here but pin and whack away but don't whack too hard as it will bruise. ✌out 

We're always a little testy when a troll like you shows up. 

Did you not read what the good Sheriff said about grip safeties? Weren't you paying attention when it was mentioned that John Browning's original design didn't include a grip safety? Aren't you aware that two of the most popular guns in Production Division, the Tanfoglio and CZ, don't have grip safeties?

Go away.

45 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Did you not read what the good Sheriff said about grip safeties? Weren't you paying attention when it was mentioned that John Browning's original design didn't include a grip safety? Aren't you aware that two of the most popular guns in Production Division, the Tanfoglio and CZ, don't have grip safeties?

Go away.

Amen to this.  We don't do trolls.

43 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Go away.

Come on man. Revoman has been a valued, contributing member here for 12 years. Not likely he will, "go away", anytime soon. Nor should he.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Come on man. Revoman has been a valued, contributing member here for 12 years. Not likely he will, "go away", anytime soon. Nor should he.

Well, he hasn't got much value on this thread, does he?

And further more, do you think that post count and longevity gives a member a pass to say what he, or she pleases, without repercussions?

I don't.

3 hours ago, MikieM said:

And further more, do you think that post count and longevity gives a member a pass to say what he, or she pleases, without repercussions?

No I don't. But the same goes for somebody who has only been here since 2015.

The truth is, trolls or other rifraf don't last long on these forums so if somebody makes it 12 years....

When pinning a grip safety for a competition gun it isn't much of a safety or liability risk since it's going to sit in a safe unloaded when its not in use. The redundant safeties aren't necessary. 

That said, its also personal preference. I got my 2011 and undid the pinned grip safety to reactivate it. For me its just piece of mind because I'm fairly new to shooting, not just action shooting. It will be easy enough for me to re pin if I want, but my hand seems to have meat in the right spot, as I've never had a GS issue even with a bad grip that I had to adjust mid stage. 

Do what you feels best for you. If you are going to disable it I would suggest some form of pinning.