Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Kit for 9mm Carbine Rifles

I picked up my new JP GMR-15 today and was searching the web to purchase a cleaning kit for the rifle.  From what I can tell know one makes a cleaning kit for the 9mm carbine.  Can you all tell what you are using to clean your barrel or if there is a cleaning kit available.  Thanks

This is the dirtiest gun I ever owned.   I am a competition  shooter and want 100% reliability.  I clean at least after every 500 rounds.  I use a Dewey coated rod with standard pistol 9mm jags and brushes.  If you have a comp, clean the lead out.  Run the bolt "wet".

Totally agree Old3GNR I clean it completely after each range session, match, practice ect.  I have taken it to 600 rounds without a clean but thing is nasty.  I know I can effectively reach 500-600 rounds no issues but I will be cleaning during matches as needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Dirty is nature of the blowback operation.  Sometimes I use wood popsicle sticks to scrape crud from the feed ramp and inside of receiver.  The inside of the barrel is low on my need to clean list.

Every couple thousand rounds I'll run carb cleaner and some paper towels over the bolt, upper and lower. Re-lube with Mobil 1. Remember, there is ALWAYS time for lube. Every 5000ish I use a Dremel engraving tool with a rounded off tip to get the crud out of the comp. Open shooters had that one figured out pretty well. 

My JP GMR-13 might be the filthiest gun I have ever owned (especially suppressed), but it runs and runs and runs. 

Clean the bore? Thats a thing? ;)  I only do that to guns if accuracy goes to hell and I know thats the reason.

I just unpin the upper and lower, hose out with automotive throttle body cleaner, dry off with compressed air and relube. I use the TB cleaner over brake clean because the TB cleaner we have here at the shop leaves a thin film of dry lube that prevents rusting. Metal will rust if you use brake clean and don't get everything covered back up with lube. 

ETA: Dremel engraver with a finish nail for a bit to chip the crud out of the comp. 

Edited by Patrick Scott

I use a bore snake, nylon and/ or copper brush, a rag, and CLP. If the bcg is extra grimey I toss it in the ultra sonic cleaner. Most of the "cleaning" I do is wiping the oily carbon sludge out of the upper and lower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk