Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stop and read what your signing

Gman57

I was at the Great Plains Sectional last weekend. On stage 2, I had a good run (for me) and everything went as planned with out a hick up, I was told my time by the RO as 24.18. At the end of the match I received my copy of all the stages I signed off on. Stage 2 was listed as 34.18 seconds and that would have been an eternity without having some kind of issue with the stage. This is a big wake up call to look over the docs you're signing.  It cost me at least 10 spots over all and a lot more for that stage. Don't get me wrong.... nobody to blame here but me, I should have looked over the score and time before signing it. The RO writing down the times and scores has his hands full and just misunderstood or didn't hear correctly. It was miserable with rain and drizzle all day so I'm not surprised.

So the moral of the story is, don't assume that everything noted for the stage is correct. Check your score and time before signing off. 

G

Edited by Gman57
sp

yeah i hate to have an incorrect (or missing) score make me look worse than i already am...  all of us that help score matches really need to pay attention when doing so and be as concerned for other shooters' scores being accurately entered as we are for our own.  a lot of people just get thrown the nook but it is an important function.

I can commiserate - it's happened to me, also.    :(

Another problem I have had a few times, is the RO getting

me a 2nd start (for any reason), and failing to clear the time

on the timer before starting the actual shooting event.   :( 

25 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I can commiserate - it's happened to me, also.    :(

Another problem I have had a few times, is the RO getting

me a 2nd start (for any reason), and failing to clear the time

on the timer before starting the actual shooting event.   :( 

What kind of timer does not reset the time at the "beep"?

I don't know, but this has happened a few times for me.

I'm very hard of hearing, didn't hear the buzzer, and the RO had

to hit the buzz button  a 2nd time, holding it closer to my ear.

Buzzer went off, a 2nd time, but started recording from the 1st

beep, and never reset.

Took me a while to understand why I was getting times which

didn't sound right, but there was the number on the screen.    :( 

15 hours ago, davsco said:

yeah i hate to have an incorrect (or missing) score make me look worse than i already am...  all of us that help score matches really need to pay attention when doing so and be as concerned for other shooters' scores being accurately entered as we are for our own.  a lot of people just get thrown the nook but it is an important function.

Indeed, just a C shooter trying to fall into B shooting Lvl 1s, shot a classifier, forget which one but I'd watched it on YouTube and decided what an acceptable time was for me, got my time 7.whatever, thought man that was slow so it kinda stuck out, then got home saw the practiscore results and was blown away to see 8.the same whatever. Would I be out of line to ask to see the tablet and confirm proper entry? I've had a field course or two grow by as much as ten that I noticed. I guess honest fat finger mistakes.

First level 2 will be later this year, what's your option if you don't sign score sheets until the end of the match? 

26 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

Would I be out of line to ask to see the tablet and confirm proper entry?

Not at all. You should be given the opportunity to review the summary page and YOU hit approve unless you allow the RO do it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good lesson.  Always review your points for appropriate amount of C's, D's, M's, and NS's.  Look at the time, make sure it is right.  And MOST importantly, look at the name on the sheet/tablet and make sure it is YOURS!

when there is no paper back up i use my phone to take a picture of whatever is on the screen or their paper copy. one reason why i rarely ask people to film me with my phone as i need it to take a pic of the tablet.

after holstering i ask "what was my time?" and remember that number.

i walk with them as they are scoring and remember only the small numbers of things, like C or D or M hits.

so when i walk up to sign or hit approve i only have to remember my time, and let's say how many C hits I had. two numbers to verify and then i hit approve.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

when there is no paper back up i use my phone to take a picture of whatever is on the screen or their paper copy. one reason why i rarely ask people to film me with my phone as i need it to take a pic of the tablet.

after holstering i ask "what was my time?" and remember that number.

i walk with them as they are scoring and remember only the small numbers of things, like C or D or M hits.

so when i walk up to sign or hit approve i only have to remember my time, and let's say how many C hits I had. two numbers to verify and then i hit approve.

Good method

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Yep!  Got a reshoot in s sectional once. They gave me the right time but kept the hits from the first run.  My paper slip had 4 A's that the computer had as delta's.  Didn't have a way of checking the online results while at the range, bad mistake!  Even if you are like me and have not bought a smart phone, get with someone who does or take a tablet and avoid the frustration. 

On 7/5/2017 at 1:13 PM, ChuckS said:

Not at all. You should be given the opportunity to review the summary page and YOU hit approve unless you allow the RO do it.

Exactly, you should always review your scores and the rules say you must be given the opportunity to do so. 9.7.1 ro must sign score sheet and then competitor must sign. This is where you confirm. At level 1 matches just ask to see the pad, no one is going to say no

At the Area 3 match I was given the opportunity to look at and approve all scores and times on the device.... not the case in a level II match I was at 6 weeks ago.

Just say'in I've learned the hard way.

G

• 1 month later...

Recently we had an experienced shooter running the tablet, but inexperienced at running the tablet.  He had some difficulty with polarized glasses etc.  

I placed pretty well overall for the match but had 11-M's when I reviewed Practiscore later that day. I mentioned the 11-M in casual conversation to other shooters and they said "oh when XXX was running the tablet?"

It is worth looking.

Edited by dogtired

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2017 at 6:54 AM, ChuckS said:

What kind of timer does not reset the time at the "beep"?

IIRC I'm thinking my CED 7000 wont reset itself....I primarily use it for dry fire now and on par time you have to hit review then clear to reset it....

12 hours ago, WaJim said:

IIRC I'm thinking my CED 7000 wont reset itself....I primarily use it for dry fire now and on par time you have to hit review then clear to reset it....

That is just a setting on the timer.