Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Classes/school/instruction

DrKyle1

I've taken (in order) courses from Gabe Suarez (5 days - Pistol), Don Busse (2 days Rifle - adjunct instructor for Gabe) and Bennie Cooley (3? days - Rifle and Shotgun).

To parrot what's already been said, I think it's good idea to take several classes... digest it... see if it works for you.

That being said, you gotta know what your goals are.

I took the Suarez/Busse classes because at that point I was sort of (and still kinda) into the tactical thing. It was eye opening taking the Cooley class.

While taking the Suarez/Busse class I got the impression that out of the 10 students I was probably #1 or #2 in terms of skill. And I got the feeling that in a pure shooting contest I could have edged the instructors. :P

Of the student's in Cooley's class I was in the middle of the pack in terms of skill. And I KNOW that I can't even come close to Cooley's skill in arms.

I'm still gonna take classes from purely tactically oriented instructors. But if my goal was strictly for competition I'd stick with the IPSC cadre... Cooley, Voight, Avery, Burkett, Garcia, the Burner, etc.

At least I know for sure that I can't beat them in a contest of skill. :P

... at least not yet. :rolleyes:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took classes from Jeff Cooper, Chuck Taylor and Ross Seyfried (when he was IPSC World Championin 1981 or 82).

Then quit shooting for about 20 years . I started shooting again in Nov 2003 as a Limited 10 Senior with 20+year old gear. (Why in the hell do I have all these seven round mags?)

In April 2004 I bought an Open Gun and 8 days later took a Matt Burkett Class, it was like drinking water from a fire hydrant. Lots of good info and hands on practice.

This year took a class from Max & Travis, once again lots of good info and practice from two quality insructors. I almost forgot that they were army.

So now, thanks to Matt, Max & Travis, I know what I am supposed to do to win. Of course knowing what to do and doing it are two different things.

I would recommend Missouri Shooting Academy LLC (Emanuel Bragg) as well as Double Impact Training with Max and Travis. Both were great classes and provided me with what I needed to advance to the next level.

Have put alot of thought into getting some proffesional instruction lately and was wondering on the average what does it cost?

I have the chance to take an one on one class with a GM this coming month for $200 plus lodging.Seems to be a good instructor and is definantly a great shooter and I feel the fee is fair.Just wondering what others were charging for their class.

Would also like to take one of Dave Sevigny's classes this year also,has anyone taken a class from him?

Thanks,Ken

• 2 months later...

Just got home from Bill Rogers' class and will be digesting all year long till i go right back again.If you think your fast and your gear is really reliable this is the test.Not an IPSC or IDPA or anything like that, just shooting fast and accurately from the holster,low ready,reloading,strong hand,weak hand.No matter what you apply this to it works .IPSC,IDPA,Law enforcement,Military,etc.

I did the Carbine,Handgun,and shotgun courses concurrantly and i saw daily improvement.I could go on forever,but there is a reason he has been doin it for 20+years.

I'm worn out :wacko: and happy :D

I've not taken a class, but have been looking for a decent one for pistol - hopefully within driving distance of KY. I've looked at Dave Sevigny - none scheduled, Max Michel - nothing scheduled, Todd Jarrett - his web page presents a nice photo, but no links are clickable in my Firefox browser. Emailed Brian - none planned.

Any suggestions?

Scott Springer. I'm glad my son and I took a class with him before we shot much more. There are alot of mistakes that a new shooter can be making without even realizing it. He helped my son and I with alot of the basics that we never had any idea about.There is no denying that his classes produce results.

Education continues weekly courtesy of the Lexington Mafia

10-4 on that!

Dave Sevigny was awesome, he is a super guy all the way around.

Also spent a little time with Matt Burkett and learned much from the short time we spent on the range.

i would like to spend more time shooting with either if they were closer.

oops...........hello is thing on?

I've seen your scores and youve got the right attitude.

My guess is you will make A before me and before Jason makes B for sure.

I'd love for the 3 or more of us to do that class.

Back on the subject after the Rogers class i have shot the best IPSC matches in the 4 years i've been shootin it.Maybe I'm still hot from all the trigger time ,maybe a placeebo effect.Whatever <_< . :D

Hey Guys,

Max Michel, here.

I noticed someone posted that we didn't have any classes scheduled at this time... Well, classes are always in the works so if you have any questions please email me at max@maxmichel.com and we'll do our best to get one in your area.

Thanks!

Max Michel, Jr.

Edited by -M2

oops...........hello is thing on?

I've seen your scores and youve got the right attitude.

My guess is you will make A before me and before Jason makes B for sure.

I'd love for the 3 or more of us to do that class.

Back on the subject after the Rogers class i have shot the best IPSC matches in the 4 years i've been shootin it.Maybe I'm still hot from  all the trigger time ,maybe a placeebo effect.Whatever <_< . :D

Al

I am still trying to get in touch with Frank. If/when I do, I will let you and Jason know.

ZH, aka Jay ;)

Hey Guys,

Max Michel, here.

I noticed someone posted that we didn't have any classes scheduled at this time... Well, classes are always in the works so if you have any questions please email me at max@maxmichel.com and we'll do our best to get one in your area.

Thanks!

Max Michel, Jr.

Max,

we would like to have you and travis at bgsl. any chance of you guys being around central ky before years end? Maybe we could work something out.

Steve

Hey Guys,

Max Michel, here.

Thanks!

Max Michel, Jr.

Max,

we would like to have you and travis at bgsl. any chance of you guys being around central ky before years end? Maybe we could work something out.

Steve

Hello,

I hope Brian is ok with me talking about classes on his forum. :unsure:

Anyway, sure we can make a class happen in KY. Will you be at the Area 5? I will not be there but Travis will and he will be shooting on Friday.

Please email me at max@maxmichel.com for more info.

Thanks!

-M2