Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How are you adapting to the new rules?

Peplow530

7 minutes ago, RePete said:

The 2003 rulebook was better for the self defense game.

As for the Texas Star, which I love shooting, I have seen only once where it simulated something remotely defensive.

I agree. Might be a local thing, when I would go to a match with 40 people there would only be 1 - 3 people who cared about any defensive aspect and the rest was pretty much the same crowd that you would see for steels & bowling pins.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing how that other sport survives with those “trip hazards” for so long...
Seriously, if you can’t clear a 1” piece of wood, sports involving movement might not be right for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 minutes ago, IronArcher said:

Seriously, if you can’t clear a 1” piece of wood, sports involving movement might not be right for you.

There are two types of people, those who already understand karma, and those who will. 

1 hour ago, IronArcher said:

IDPA was always inviting to shooters with disabilities than IPSC/USPSA.

The shooters that had problems had CP and the other had had 3 surgeries on 1 ankle and 1 on the other.

3 hours ago, Bullet56A said:

I really like the fault lines. 

Once they ditch the vests it’ll be even better. 

Maybe do away with the division round count and load full in a stock magazine. 

Heck yeah!

It’s going to be fun!

I like the fault lines. As in USPSA, you can FEEL the line, rather than having to look for a painted line.

When they tell me I have to wear a cover garment, when shooting PCC, I think that’s just silly.:o

9 minutes ago, RH45 said:

I like the fault lines. As in USPSA, you can FEEL the line, rather than having to look for a painted line.

When they tell me I have to wear a cover garment, when shooting PCC, I think that’s just silly.:o

I hear ya. 

I shot PCC last match. 

Was weird. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

IDPA rules seem to be stuck in park regarding Carry Optics.  As far as I can tell IDPA still does not recognize CO as a separate division.

The below rules are quoted from the current IDPA rulebook.   

1. From section 8.2.10.A - "IDPA allows clubs to add “Specialty Divisions” for scoring. This division allows cartridges smaller than 9 mm, carry optics, activated lasers, mounted lights, and other firearms which do not fit into the other competition divisions to participate in matches."

2. From section 8.2.10.F -"Clubs are not required to implement this provision, and Match Directors are allowed discretion with implementation so that match quality remains high." 

Due to aging eyes I have had to give up on iron sights for competitions and have switched to Carry Optics.  Since IDPA has not recognized CO as a real gun worthy of it's own division and USPSA does, I voted with my feet.  I joined USPSA in October 2016, let my IDPA membership lapse, and have been enjoying focusing on the technical aspects of shooting fast, safe and accurate, and moving up the ladder in USPSA CO division.  This is not a slam against the IDPA organization or sport, just an explanation of the impact of IDPA rules lacking quality forward movement regarding the CO division.

Edited by ShredderTactical
spelling mistake

15 hours ago, ShredderTactical said:

IDPA rules seem to be stuck in park regarding Carry Optics.  As far as I can tell IDPA still does not recognize CO as a separate division.

The below rules are quoted from the current IDPA rulebook.   

1. From section 8.2.10.A - "IDPA allows clubs to add “Specialty Divisions” for scoring. This division allows cartridges smaller than 9 mm, carry optics, activated lasers, mounted lights, and other firearms which do not fit into the other competition divisions to participate in matches."

2. From section 8.2.10.F -"Clubs are not required to implement this provision, and Match Directors are allowed discretion with implementation so that match quality remains high." 

Due to aging eyes I have had to give up on iron sights for competitions and have switched to Carry Optics.  Since IDPA has not recognized CO as a real gun worthy of it's own division and USPSA does, I voted with my feet.  I joined USPSA in October 2016, let my IDPA membership lapse, and have been enjoying focusing on the technical aspects of shooting fast, safe and accurate, and moving up the ladder in USPSA CO division.  This is not a slam against the IDPA organization or sport, just an explanation of the impact of IDPA rules lacking quality forward movement regarding the CO division.

Just...wow! Carry Optics IS a separate (provisional) division in IDPA, and has been for several months. I've competed in many local matches and even a sanctioned match in CO. 

Sorry you couldn't find the information you needed. It's right here: http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/a3nozfcz.rcs.pdf

48 minutes ago, BillR1 said:

Just...wow! Carry Optics IS a separate (provisional) division in IDPA, and has been for several months. I've competed in many local matches and even a sanctioned match in CO. 

Sorry you couldn't find the information you needed. It's right here: http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/a3nozfcz.rcs.pdf

I don't know why they don't just update the PDF of the rule book to include all of the items on this page http://members.idpa.com/Rules/Home

It's annoying to have to cross reference so many documents.

4 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

I don't know why they don't just update the PDF of the rule book to include all of the items on this page http://members.idpa.com/Rules/Home

It's annoying to have to cross reference so many documents.

It may be because both CO and PCC are still provisional divisions. They haven't yet been added to the regular rule book.

17 hours ago, RH45 said:

Although all of our local clubs are giving the choice of PCC, some are still saying CO is NFC(not for competition)?

It's the other way around for us. COs are welcome, but we're not recognizing PCCs. (yet?)

I was pretty shocked that PCC was one of the divisions at our State match, (registration was in January, and match was in June) yet, the same club doesn’t want to recognize CO??

• 1 month later...

Fwiw, I felt compelled to contribute here since I used the information within to help me decide whether or not I was going to try IDPA again. I have always been a competitive shooter since I was very young and have entered the pistol action shooting sports about 12 years ago. I started with IDPA and then moved to USPSA and shot both simultaneously. I enjoyed both venues. As time went on I primarily shot USPSA. I appreciated and respected the similarities and differences between the two. The biggest part I did take issue with IDPA was the cover calls that I found to be very highly subjective and unfortunately sometimes biased in many of the matches I attended. The area I shoot in has become flooded with entries for the few local USPSA matches we have leaving the IDPA matches fairly open so I decided to get back in and try it after a three-year hiatus.

I can't say I agree with the scoring but as mentioned above respect and accept each venue given the rules set forth within. What I DO like is the fault lines which I am accustomed to with USPSA and leads too much more defined call of a penalty if one happens. Reloading rules have become more practical and less restrictive and you are not forced to shoot on move if you do not feel it is appropriate to engage your target while moving. There are also opportunities that did not exist before where you can shoot while moving into a target position if you feel it is beneficial.

Overall I will sum up saying the two IDPA matches I have attended recently came to be a positive experience. Although I will not replace my USPSA schedule with IDPA I am glad to know that there is still an enjoyable means to get out on a weekend and enhance my action pistol shooting skills. Most importantly I'm able to find camaraderie with people who fundamentally see  firearm ownership and the value of these type of sports in the same light I do. In this day and age that should be enough to make anyone of us go out and participate.

• 2 months later...

I like the new rules, except for the -1 sec rule as a Limited USPSA shooter occasional C hits are acceptable for me but too much of a penalty in IDPA so it changes the game for me. Now, I have only shot two IDPA matches but now I can shoot more due to the rule changess as the gun I will use in CCP very similar to my limited gun and is legal now.

https://i.imgur.com/nufniBhl.jpg

• 3 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:24 AM, RePete said:

Now you are getting subjective fault  line calls.

Wooden fault lines are a trip hazard.  I was CSO at a State match and 2 people tripped on the wooden fault line.  One I caught.

LOLOLOLOL..........are you for real?

Please stop with the trip hazard BS.  Thousands of people around the world compete in action shooting sports that have had solid fault lines for decades.  If they were a trip hazard they would have been gone long ago.  You sound like a fool repeating yourself, as if that was going to somehow make what you say true.

Edited by elguapo

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

LOLOLOLOL..........are you for real?

Please stop with the trip hazard BS.  Thousands of people around the world compete in action shooting sports that have had solid fault lines for decades.  If they were a trip hazard they would have been gone long ago.  You sound like a fool repeating yourself, as if that was going to somehow make what you say true.

I didn't see you there.

I don't care what other games use wood.  Yes I shoot  USPSA and IPSC  alos, and I seen people trip in those games too.

So you can't say it's BS just because you say so!

1 hour ago, RePete said:

Because you haven't seen it doesn't make it less true.

Do you deny that people can learn to shoot stages with fault lines that protrude from the ground, despite almost unlimited evidence to the contrary?

I never said people haven't tripped on fault lines.

I said they are not the trip hazard that you seem to think they are.  People trip over common objects out in the "real world" all the time, yet those items stay right where they are and people either learn to avoid them or they fall down.  

If someone is so uncoordinated and immobile that they trip on a little 1" furring strip (whose location is clearly visible ahead of time) then they will trip on sticks, rocks, the edges of barricades, and a myriad other object that normally litter a range bay's floor and so they should be told to go home because they are no longer safe with a pistol in their hand.

If you want a new sport to cater to the absolute lowest common denominator, feel free to start it up.

On 3/26/2018 at 2:18 PM, RH45 said:

I don't shoot IDPA but I was reading along for interest and looked up the PCC rules. Does this rule not apply or are there matches that just make up their own rules?

1.1.6 Concealment garments: Concealment garments are optional for PCC shooters.