Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Funny Thing Happened At The Range

BritinUSA

I had just got my SA TRP back from SA for shooting low. They had installed a lower front sight. I went into the indoor range and shot a few groups, everything was right on. When I came out, I got into a discussion with a customer at the gun store and I told hom about the gun shooting low and so on. He then told me that all I had to do was take a hammer and punch and "crown" the barrel until it shot where I wanted it to. I was ready to start laughing when I realized that he was serious, so I told him I would try that next time, and bailed before he went into the range.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had just got my SA TRP back from SA for shooting low.  They had installed a lower front sight.  I went into the indoor range and shot a few groups, everything was right on.  When I came out, I got into a discussion with a customer at the gun store and I told hom about the gun shooting low and so on.  He then told me that all I had to do was take a hammer and punch and "crown" the barrel until it shot where I wanted it to.  I was ready to start laughing when I realized that he was serious, so I told him I would try that next time, and bailed before he went into the range.

WOW!!! :blink:

Back when dots were new, one of the guys we shot with had a 1911 with ProPoint mounted on an NPC grip mount. The NPC grip mounts were made of really cheap cast aluminum. After several successful matches, it failed. But it happened with style! Just as he fired his last shot, the top half of it cracked and he caught it in mid-air!

Back when dots were new, one of the guys we shot with had a 1911 with ProPoint mounted on an NPC grip mount.  The NPC grip mounts were made of really cheap cast aluminum.  After several successful matches, it failed.  But it happened with style!  Just as he fired his last shot, the top half of it cracked and he caught it in mid-air!

Heh. I broke three of those mounts on a P35 back in the day...

Eventually I made the switch to the red-dotted P9 with an EAA mount. That mount is still in place to this day!

-Chet

Another Tom the Counter Guy story. A guy comes in with a Ruger 9mm, pays his money, goes out on the range. Tom is watching him through the plexiglass shield. The guy fires one round, Bang!, the gun shortstrokes, he clears it out. Bang! the gun shortstrokes, he clears out. Bang! the gun shortstrokes, he clears out. You get the idea. This goes on for awhile before finally the guy comes off the range and says to Tom, "This Ruger is a piece of crap. I can't fire more than one shot without it jamming." Tom grabs a box of 9mm, goes out onto the line, loads up a mag, Bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang, no problem. Tom goes back out to the front counter, watches the guy through the plexi. Mr. My Gun Is a Piece of Crap loads up a mag. Bang! Shortstroke. Tom goes back out onto the range. "Sir, could I see the ammo you're shooting? Sir, why are you firing .380 ammunition in your 9mm handgun?" "Well, I didn't like the recoil." Apparently this guy knew just enough about handguns to understand you could fire .38 Special as a subload in a .357 Magnum revolver, and figured the same relationship must exist between .380 ACP and 9mm Parabellum. Jesus wept.

Apparently this guy knew just enough about handguns to understand you could fire .38 Special as a subload in a .357 Magnum revolver, and figured the same relationship must exist between .380 ACP and 9mm Parabellum. Jesus wept.

Well, isn't it stamped right on the side of the barrel, "9mm kurtz (or kurz)." That means 9mm short doesn't it? :blink::wacko::rolleyes:

dj

I blame gunwriters ;) (hi Duane).. there's so much written about how you can use 38 Specials in .357 or .44 Spl in .44 mags, mostly without disclaimers that you shouldn't do that otherwise (which would seem to be obvious, but then I'm reminded of gun magazine readership..)

Either that or the guy's been in the wrong forums on the internet. I'm sure somebody would suggest that.

I was practicing Outer Limits and Five to Go with ong45 today and I couldn't hit shjt with my P9. I had some good runs where I just barely missed a plate and said, "I'm gonna count that as a good run; my dot was on the plate when the hammer fell." This happened more than a few times. James and Dennis gave me all kinds of grief about how that would go down in Piru, that the ROs will just take my word for it that the dot was on the plate when the hammer dropped.

Finally I expended all my 9x21. As I put my P9 away, the C-More wiggled... every one of the mount screws was loose. :(

At least I didn't have a squib round in every magazine like some people who shall remain nameless and I'm glad I don't shoot Supercomp and won't need to ever borrow his ammo.

Well, I'll bet none of you went to the range with a baggie full of 40 with a handfull of 9MM mixed in. Can you say "malfunction drill?" (As an aside, 9mm will feed and fire just fine in a 40 STI. Doesn't eject the cases for crap, and the bullets leave little sideways tears in the targets nowhere near where you were aiming but I digress...)

I wondered why my mags seemed like they held more than usual when I first loaded them up.... :blink:

Well, isn't it stamped right on the side of the barrel, "9mm kurtz (or kurz)." That means 9mm short doesn't it?  :blink:  :wacko:  :rolleyes:

dj

Guy at my club's neighbor bought a little jennings or raven type .380 pistol and he thought the 9mm kurtz meant he could shoot 9mm. Ammo wouldn't fit so he rechambered the barrel using his drill press. Then the action was too hard to cycle so he cut 4 or 5 coils off the mainspring.

My friend got involved cause the guy needed help putting the gun back together, so he stopped that disaster before it happened.

For those of you that haven't shot the MGM Ironman match, it's a bit of a different vibe than IPSC. The first one that I shot was in 2002. First shooter of the first day. It was a combination Rifle/Shotgun/Pistol stage. About halfway through his run the RO looks down at the shooter and then looks at the peanut gallery. He yells back to us, "anybody know where his pistol is?" I ran over to the shooters bag, dug his gun out and had it waiting for him when he grounded the shotgun.

That was the same year that I broke the firing pin on my 1100 mid course. The RO looks at me and asks if I have another shotgun. My buddy ran to the truck, got the spare and brought it up on the clock.

Last year we had a guy that got midway into a multi gun course and grabbed up his custom, fancy JP 11-87. Couldn't get it to shoot. Apparently TSA has figured out that you don't need a key to lock the little trigger safety's on Remington's. His was locked up tight. The RO was "nice" enough to let him run back to his truck grab the key and finish the course.

Like I said, it's a different match.

I was at a local match (when I lived in San Diego) and a one of our master class shooters came out to play. He and his wife practiced regularly but didn't often attend the local matches because of their busy schedule. He and his wife had matching guns for both open and limited. The limited guns were in .40 and the open guns were in 9x21. He must have been in a hurry when he got his gear to head out the door. Not until he stepped in the shooting box to start a stage did he realize he had a problem. After the LAMR command, he put grabs a mag, stuffs it in the gun and racks the slide. As he puts the gun in his holster <clink> he feels something hit his foot. There's a round on the ground. He picks it up, puts it in his pocket, and takes his gun out to rack it again. Back in the holster it goes and <clink> another round falls out the barrel. It took a couple more tries before he realized he brought the wrong magazines and ammo for his .40 limited gun. The 9x21 rounds just wouldn't stay put after getting into the chamber!

Dunno its funny.. I got squib today. Stopped shootin and RO said to fix it right there which I did then put slide, barrel, spring-assembly in my pocket and went to safe house.

By the time I went safe house, spring-assembly (captured) was gone! I mean, people looked for it, I looked everywhere and traced myself back 10 times but completely disapeared from my pocket!

I can find my brass but why not this huge rod with spring??????? Do we have Twilight Zone??

Bit bummed that was a really fun stage of going into a corridor shooting arm's reach targets left and right :(

A bunch of the locals got together this past Saturday to practice for A4.

My wife, Beth, had borrowed a Dawson limited gun to test drive while hers is being built. After she ran through the stage with the .40, I got up to shoot. Loaded my gun and experienced my first ever failure to feed with the new .38 SC Open blaster. :unsure:

Upon careful examination it was determined that I had stuffed one of Beth's .40 mags into the handle of my gun. :wacko:

No wonder it wouldn't chamber! :lol:

-Chet

Yesterday I had my gear in a Rugged Gear 3 gun cart (3 wheels, glorified baby jogger). It wasn't mine, I was trying to return it to the owner. As our squad had to go across the range, I hopped on the back of ong45's truck and towed the cart behind me. Talk about unstable! There's something inherently unstable about a third wheel behind two wheels. It was Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, but I didn't want to trash an expensive cart I was "keeping safe" for its owner. When things got really out of control and we never seemed to reach our destination, I realized ong45 was deliberately trying to make me crash the cart by driving crazy.

One of our better shooters came to a match one evening with all his usual jars of reloaded ammo, gobs of moon clips, huge range bag full of the usual junk and accessories, targets, you-name-it. We were all bs-ing around, chatting one another up and padding our egos when said shooter stops cold. We hear this weird groan and see said shooter staring strangely into his range bag. He'd forgotten the GUN. :blink:

Going to a match with my son, gave him the belts and holsters to put in the truck. Loaded the rest of the gearin the truck. Get to the range and discover that he left the holsters and belts on the couch by the front door. (Teenagers...) :lol::lol::D

Going to a match with my son, gave him the belts and holsters to put in the truck. Loaded the rest of the gearin the truck. Get to the range and discover that he left the holsters and belts on the couch by the front door. (Teenagers...)  :lol:  :lol:  :D

I think ive done that myself, more than once. I'll either leave the inner or outer belt at home.

last sunday a guy showed up to shoot our 3 gun match-he gets there a bit late then asks if anyone has bolt cutters. his .308 is locked to his 3gungear cart! we send him to the range shack and someone is able to dispatch the cable. he comes back, shoots the match and leaves-without his M1A!

anyway, we recovered the .308 and it's in good hands till it can be returned to the owner.

A buddy of mine was shooting the first shotgun stage at a 3 gun match. He did not have a suitable shotgun so he had borrowed a 7 shot Mossberg pump from a friend to use. On the LAMR command, he finds that he can't fully chamber a shell. The shells will go in only part way like the chamber is too short. Needless to say, the next shooter gets bumped up and we go over to the safe area to investigate. His friend had told him that the barrel does not come off the gun so he has no idea how to proceed with the gun. Turns out the gun has a heatshield on the barrel and his friend thought this meant the barrel would not come off. It takes me about 30 seconds to get the barrel off and determine that there is a partial casing stuck in the chamber. We can't catch the front of it with a cleaning rod and knock it out so after a few minutes of head scratching, I pull out my multipliers and use the knife blade to cut a slit into the case and get it freed.

My buddy then tells us that his friend (the gun's owner) likes to partially cut around the base of this shells so that when fired the front portion of the plastic will (may?) head out the barrel with the shot, to make it more deadly. Really effective... :ph34r:

Too bad I didn't get to listen in when the owner got the phone call explaining what had happened and exactly what my buddy thought of it.

MORAL: Never assume a borrowed gun is in working order.