Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX mags

Lhelliott

1 minute ago, js1130146 said:

I'm not doubting, just verifying. Personally if I paid $145 for a 155mm if be calling MBX for a replacement or a fix before sinking more money into it

Well, this kinda sums up the whole ready and tuned let down. I did call and email, but a different story for a different time. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should definitely be sticking with STI, then. 

BTW, my 155 MBXs only load 26 reloadable (27 is advertised), either 9mm or 38sc.  I can jam 27 in one of them, but it's not reloadable, even in a steel grip.  But I like them for their size, capacity, and reliability and I'm using them more then the 140s.  The followers (green) in all the mags haven't caused any problems.  I would like them to load 27, though. 

I do not see where they advertise 27 reloadable, but that they will hold 27. I am in the same boat as you mine will fit 27 but not reloadable, but I do like the size of the mag better than trying to reload with a big stick. I also like not having to use a spacer.

Edited by SWprotected

All of my 9MM MBX Mags (6 170s, 2 155s, 4 140's) have worked flawlessly right out of the packaging. I have a set of comp mags and a matching set of practice mags.

All of them hold what they are advertise to hold.

I had to troubles with their 140mm .40 cal mags. They would not drop free from my PT steel grips. Had to reshape some areas on the tube to make them drop free. The changes I made did not affect the capacity at all.

1 hour ago, Maximis228 said:

All of my 9MM MBX Mags (6 170s, 2 155s, 4 140's) have worked flawlessly right out of the packaging. I have a set of comp mags and a matching set of practice mags.

All of them hold what they are advertise to hold.

I had to troubles with their 140mm .40 cal mags. They would not drop free from my PT steel grips. Had to reshape some areas on the tube to make them drop free. The changes I made did not affect the capacity at all.

The 155 is advertised as "high capacity 27 rounds" and "easy reloads" on the page for that particular mag.  My two hold 27 (non-reloadable) and 26 (reloadable).

6 minutes ago, teros135 said:

The 155 is advertised as "high capacity 27 rounds" and "easy reloads" on the page for that particular mag.  My two hold 27 (non-reloadable) and 26 (reloadable).

Mine are the same. They work exactly as advertised.

Edited by Maximis228

4 minutes ago, teros135 said:

So I have the only two bad ones out there?  How unlucky!

I think the confusion is on the words they used. When referring to "easy reloads" they mean in comparison to the big stick. Not that the fully loaded mag (27) is easy to reload itself. But that might just be my interpretation.

I'd think that any well-designed mag would be easy to handle during reloading.

It would be better if the mfr said clearly, "27 capacity, 26 reloadable" so we'd all know what we're getting. (And/or make the 155 a 157 and be done with it?)

Edited by teros135

My .40 MBX magazines all run perfectly.   My 9mm MBX mags one or two is doing some weird stuff.  I'm not sure if it's me or the mag but somehow I've gotten rounds past the follower.  Had one jam this weekend while I was removing the rounds to top up another mag.  I'm still solid B+ success rate with them though.  Not had any issues during a course of fire either either 9mm or .40.

I purchased 2 of the new .45 MBX 141MM hi cap mags and I am super impressed with them. As they said, you can get 18 rounds of .45 in the mag, but you really have to seat the mag pretty hard into the STI. I only load 17 in the 2nd one, I found I had a hard time slamming it in hard enough while on the move. I also have two STI mags that hold 15, and they have been OK too. I gladly will buy another pair for next season.

I bought 2 .40 MBX 141.25mm and am just breaking them in by loading and unloading them multiple times. So far one won't release if the slide is locked back when inserted. It releases if you shake the gun a little bit. One had the follower get stuck one out of the five times that I loaded and unloaded. The release thing I don't see as a big issue as I never plan on inserting one when the slide is locked back, but the follower getting stuck makes me nervous.

2 hours ago, EliteGuard said:

I bought 2 .40 MBX 141.25mm and am just breaking them in by loading and unloading them multiple times. So far one won't release if the slide is locked back when inserted. It releases if you shake the gun a little bit. One had the follower get stuck one out of the five times that I loaded and unloaded. The release thing I don't see as a big issue as I never plan on inserting one when the slide is locked back, but the follower getting stuck makes me nervous.

When I first got one of my 9mm mags and was loading/unloading trying to break them in it also dropped a round below the follower.  Haven't had a chance to run them in a match yet but here's to hoping.

On 10/25/2016 at 11:55 AM, teros135 said:

• INTRODUCING The "NEW" 155mm open Class Magazine from MBX!
    "THE LITTLE BIG STICK"
    * Fantastic Balance
    * Easy Reloads
    * High Capacity 27 Rds
    * 13 Coil Spring Reliability
    Great Size and Balance for fast easy Reloads and Draws also Stages when that little extra is needed. Reloads like the "Little Stick" 141.25mm with close to the power of the "Big Stick" 171.25mm

I have had a nightmare w new STI 140 mags. I'm on a third replacement set that still do not run. STI cannot figure out why the tooling is off and this sue is getting more common. We ended up making a die, reshaping with the help of an expert in our world and have been able to get four to run efficiently. Needless to say, no faith in New STI mags.

Edited by Damineg34

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 5:44 AM, Damineg34 said:

I have had a nightmare w new STI 140 mags. I'm on a third replacement set that still do not run. STI cannot figure out why the tooling is off and this sue is getting more common. We ended up making a die, reshaping with the help of an expert in our world and have been able to get four to run efficiently. Needless to say, no faith in New STI mags.

Truly sorry for your trouble. I just got 3 new ones and they were problem free.  New TTI guts and bases.  All ran out of the box so to say.

Again sorry you've had problems but I haven't with STI mags or bodies.

Think the MBX fill a nitch though for those who don't want to mess with mags. Or guys shooting 9mmm's and 38 supers they can use the same mags without headache's of spacers.

When I got my open gun I bought three MBX 140s and a 170 and they have been working perfect, and you don't need spacers for 9mm. I tuned some STI 140s for my limited gun but if I ever need more mags I'll just buy MBXs. Awesome to buy a 2011 mag that just works out of the box. 

Edited by Frank34

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MBX have been perfect.  I had them coated in Gold PVD just for bling factor.

I have 6 STI style for Open and 4 Para for Limited.

No issues whatsoever.  I love them.  My tuned STI mags with Dawson basepads, TTI spring and follower are clunky in comparison.

IMG_0077.JPG

3 hours ago, glockman75 said:

MBX have been perfect.  I had them coated in Gold PVD just for bling factor.

I have 6 STI style for Open and 4 Para for Limited.

No issues whatsoever.  I love them.  My tuned STI mags with Dawson basepads, TTI spring and follower are clunky in comparison.

IMG_0077.JPG

Glockman, these look fantastic.  Please tell me who did the gold PVD so I can get some done.  Thanks

14 minutes ago, window2time said:
Glockman, these look fantastic.  Please tell me who did the gold PVD so I can get some done.  Thanks

My gunsmith sent my gun, parts and the mags to Richter Precision.
http://www.richterprecision.com/dlc-coatings.html

IMG_0078.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_0079.thumb.JPG.c5ecee4031df23b6d561e

Edited by glockman75