Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazines That Disapear After A Stage

CraigS.

Yesterday I came home with one less magazine than I

started with .

I shot a stage with 3 sti mags picked up 1

and the one in the gun , when I came back the other one

I dropped was no where to be found and no one knew where

it went but remember me dropping 2 mags within 4feet of each other.

I didn't know $90 magazines could vaporize into thin air :angry::angry::angry:

Any body else has this happen?

Craig

No ---- but coincidentally during teardown yesterday we found a single-stack mag inside of a port......

The shooter, who was on the last squad to shoot the stage, was amazed that it had landed in there.....

And I've seen tapers and steel setters and clipboard minders all pocket mags in order to do their jobs, when the shooter wandered off the stage in a different direction ---- usually they remember to pull the mag back out when the shooter says: Anyone seen a [insert name brand here] mag?

Send the MD a note, asking him to send it out to his e-mail list, perhaps someone will find it in their gear.....

One range I shoot at has a large covered pistol line that has the bay covered in 1/4 minus pea gravel about six inches deep. Every now and then someone decides to set up a field course in this stuff. It is pure misery.

A few years ago a shooter dumped a hi-cap Glock mag into this gravel during a field course and it was never found. This was during the days of the ban so the loss of that mag was significant.

The entire squad looked for it and finally everyone gave up.

hmm, i seem to come home with more mags. go figure.

just kidding.

i learned that lesson a long time ago. the first thing i do after the 'range is clear' is to go get my mags, then look at targets.

lynn

p.s. put your name on the mags.

Edited by lynn jones

Saw a shooter drop one right through the 3" opening of a plastic barrel. He had no clue but several of us knew what happened. Took a while to retrieve it.

I hate the low life scum that grab your stuff when you turn you back. Lost four brand new 10 shot Chip McCormick mags at a public range when I went forward to change my target. I have never had anything come up missing at a match though.

geezer

I've only heard of one mag disappearing at a USPSA match. As most of you know you can leave your wallet on your dashboard of your car with the windows down and it'll be there when you come back. Almost everyone that shoots USPSA is hard working and honest.

But just in case it ends up in someone else's bag, engrave your name or initials in it like me. "RJ"

I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

Yeah, we have a lost-n-found 10-round .45 mag in the stat shack that's been there for several months. Nobody's sure it's one of theirs they've lost track of, so they leave it in case it belongs to somebody else.

Most missing mags at my range are also picked up w/ the intent to return them to the owner, but the well intentioned Good Samaritans get sidetracked and the mags then take longer, but not forever, to be returned.

We've had guns removed from our safe area after being left unattended. This is done deliberately, usually at a big match when there are strangers on the range. The nonplussed new shooter who wandered off during a break in the shooting is directed to the MD, who returns the gun with a gentle admonishment to be a bit more careful in the future. ;)

At Area 4 last year we had a shooter in our squad lose a Glock drop-free mag on one of the stages. After fifteen minutes of searching by the whole squad with no success, most of us gave up hope. I honestly thought the guy had miscounted his mags and had left one in his car or hotel or something but luckily someone found a rake and started raking the shooting area. His mag was there the whole time, just submerged under the six inches of rain water and mud that had built up in the shooting area. Nothing like shooting in the slop.

colored base pads can help, even flourescent... I have seen one fellow use some red tape on the bottom area of his Glock mag as well. During stages indoors you'll be amazed at how far a mag can slide across the floor, often underneath barricades and under other staging setups...

I agree that most shooters are a respectable bunch, but since I don't trust anyone I am not out to find those few that aren't.

For $90 a mag perhaps use a tether attached to your belt?

I lost one this week end. It turns out while I was looking on the range the girl that found it was looking for me with the waiting shooters. She finally found me and I think she was more relieved than me.

Mystery Solved!!! After after 4 days of wondering where it could have went

the only thing left to do was to go back to the range and look for it one more time.

I wandered around the bay looking under everything laying there

then as I was about to end the search I thought to look at the grass covered berm

on the left side of the bay , it had been raining hard all week

THERE IT WAS standing straight up and deep in the grass, full of water.

Than it came to me how it must have gotten there , when i went down range to check my targets, I walked around a target placed next to the berm were I found it .

I believe that at that time it fell out of my pocket not making a sound as it hit the deep grass.

Craig :D:D:D

Add new rules, grass has to be cut around staging area or grass blades not to exceed 2" and indoor stages neat and clean or bumpers placed around props to prevent magazine slidings...

• 3 weeks later...