Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frequency of Powder Measure Cleaning

RickT

I'm loading 5K rounds/month on my LNL AP Press. I only use VV N320. I clean and lube the shell plate every 500 rounds or so, but go considerably longer with the powder measure; I'm using a Hornady measure and Rick Koskela PTX. Did 1200 rounds for my wife yesterday without issue, but today out of the blue the rotor began to stick at the top of its travel. I wound up taking the unit completely down, cleaning and lubing. Got things working, but my adjustment on the micrometer powder measure needed to be changed and the stops on the PTX limiter needed to be readjusted; I don't have any explanation for these changes.

So, how often do you find clean/lube to be necessary?

One thing I believe contributes to the rotor sticking is the reduction in travel when using a PTX. I haven't looked at the mechanism closely, but I suspect at less than full travel the weight of the measure may have less mechanical advantage and infrequent maintenance definitely increases the friction at several key interface. When the measure is working the drops are very, very consistent.

I'm loading 5K rounds/month on my LNL AP Press. I only use VV N320. I clean and lube the shell plate every 500 rounds or so, but go considerably longer with the powder measure; I'm using a Hornady measure and Rick Koskela PTX. Did 1200 rounds for my wife yesterday without issue, but today out of the blue the rotor began to stick at the top of its travel. I wound up taking the unit completely down, cleaning and lubing. Got things working, but my adjustment on the micrometer powder measure needed to be changed and the stops on the PTX limiter needed to be readjusted; I don't have any explanation for these changes.

So, how often do you find clean/lube to be necessary?

One thing I believe contributes to the rotor sticking is the reduction in travel when using a PTX. I haven't looked at the mechanism closely, but I suspect at less than full travel the weight of the measure may have less mechanical advantage and infrequent maintenance definitely increases the friction at several key interface. When the measure is working the drops are very, very consistent.

Ive actually never cleaned the powder measure. Of course I clean the plate and lower end often to keep things running smooth but have never cleaned the measure since initially cleaning it upon opening it many many thousands of rounds ago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

id not be putting any lube in a powder measure.

I'm not using "lube", just cleaning with Hornady One Shot on the outside of the rotor and inside of the rotor housing. Similar to all the external mechanical interfaces.

I probably disassemble and clean every 20K rounds or if a problem arises.

I use a Dillon powder measure, I've loaded well over 100K on the current measure and have never cleaned it. I have other tool heads with powder measures attached and other than dumping the powder out when I'm not using it, I don't clean those either. I don't empty my powder hopper unless I'm not going to be making rounds for a while. I'm just recovering from surgery so I haven't had any powder in it for a few months, but I'm running out of my "stash" and will need to start using it again. Never have had any kind of problem with the powder measure.

I triad to clean one - once - used some spray cleaner,,melted the plastic tube right a way. Called Dillon told them what I did,they me a new tube. I have never tried to clean another one. That was 10 years ago.

I may tear the powder measure on my LNL down once a year to give it a cleaning. Maybe more often if it starts acting up, but that is very rare. I use canned air to blow power and crap off the the shell plate and primer punch every few hundred rounds. I rarely use any lube on the powder drop tubes, rotor, etc, less likely to build gunk up.

My rotor stuck at the top of the travel at one time. The slot for the powder insert wasnt machined cleanly near the top. Cleaned it up with a dremel, and made sure the PTX was adjusted so that the insert had some free space at top to "bounce" a little, and all is good.

I was loading ww231 and left it in the hopper overnight....well, I was called away and didn't get back to the reloading bench until several months later. The hopper was horribly stained to the point where it was opaque...couldn't even tell there was powder in it. After taking the plastic hopper off I cleaned most of the stain off with Simple Green and a soft cloth. Now it has a yellow tint, but is transparent. Otherwise, I have never cleaned one with cleaner.

Not just for this reason but after every loading session I now empty the hopper and occasionally wipe the inside with a dryer fabric softener towel to keep the static cling down (almost zero in Florida, anyway).

I left the lid off of an empty Dillon powder measure a while back. A mud dabber wasp decided to take up residence inside the hopper.

That is the only Dillon powder measure I've had to clean in 30+ years of reloading with Dillon equipment.

Those mud dabbers will take up residence almost anywhere.

Occasionally I will wipe down the powder bar with a silicone impregnated cloth. Occasionally I will inspect and tighten the bolts, powder bar actuator arm and the Delrin link cube (I have the old style poser measure on my SDB).

Occasionally is once every couple years or so, which is roughly every 30 or 40 K loaded rounds.

I've never cleaned the hopper cylinder itself.

Edited by kevin c