Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Serenity

Great review from NYT today

----

It probably isn't fair to Joss Whedon's "Serenity" to say that this unassuming science-fiction adventure is superior in almost every respect to George Lucas's aggressively more ambitious "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith." But who cares about fair when there is fun to be had? Scene for scene, "Serenity" is more engaging and certainly better written and acted than any of Mr. Lucas's recent screen entertainments.....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review from NYT today

----

It probably isn't fair to Joss Whedon's "Serenity" to say that this unassuming science-fiction adventure is superior in almost every respect to George Lucas's aggressively more ambitious "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith." But who cares about fair when there is fun to be had? Scene for scene, "Serenity" is more engaging and certainly better written and acted than any of Mr. Lucas's recent screen entertainments.....

That's exciting news. We're excited to hear it's gonna be good. The soonest we can all go together is the 4:10 Sat show.

About the comparison to Star Wars - When I read that Joni and Michele started clamoring that no matter how good Serenity is, it cannot be compared to Star Wars (just because it's sci-fi). "Star Wars is its own entity." "Its effect can't be measured or compared." And what's really funny is that Joni said when she woke this morning, she started wondering who was gonna be the first reviewer to compare Serenity to Star Wars.

;)

I saw the first showing in Reno. :)

Serenity does not disappoint. It does shock and surprise. (I promise, no spoilers.) The writing is sooooooo good, it puts Star Wars to shame. I'm happy to report they didn't water down a thing for the big screen; they not only stick to the idea that people are free, it's central to the plot. Sword-fu, rifle-fu, quick-draw pistol-fu, Reavers, no breasts. Joe Bob says check it out.

I can't wait for the sequels. (Or will they be prequels?)

Color me green with envy

I may not even get to see it in the theatre unless I can find a baby sitter. I haven't been able to catch all the airings on the SF channel and none of the movie rental chains carry the dvd set. Time to shop a little on ebay....

Color me green with envy

I may not even get to see it in the theatre unless I can find a baby sitter.  I haven't been able to catch all the airings on the SF channel and none of the movie rental chains carry the dvd set.  Time to shop a little on ebay....

Can't help with the sitter, but wan't to borrow the DVD's?

Huston in Austin

Color me green with envy

I may not even get to see it in the theatre unless I can find a baby sitter.  I haven't been able to catch all the airings on the SF channel and none of the movie rental chains carry the dvd set.  Time to shop a little on ebay....

Can't help with the sitter, but wan't to borrow the DVD's?

Huston in Austin

Thanks for the offer however I was thinking I'd buy the dvd set, watch it, then send it to a lady friend of mine who is over in afghanistan serving in the military. She says that she has bursts of unbelievable activity followed by insane amounts of down time.

Well the down side is we won't be seeng a sequel for a while if at all.

#2 at the box office, but only $10.1 million dollars, so still $20 million in the hole. If the Bo doesn't pick up, I doubt the studio will exercise it's options for the 2nd and third.

likely more annoying is that Joss just doesn't want to work on a sequel anytime soon. He is comitted to wonder woman, and he's still writing the script. directing on top of that means at least 2 years before anything significant. He's also said he doesn't want to do the serenity sequel as his next project after wonder woman. He's also working on a new TV series, so....

But the movie was quite good, the action and tension of the ending was ratcheted up to insane levels.

Well the down side is we won't be seeng a sequel for a while if at all.

#2 at the box office, but only $10.1 million dollars, so still $20 million in the hole. If the Bo doesn't pick up, I doubt the studio will exercise it's options for the 2nd and third.

The DVD sales are probably more important these days. If a movie sells a lot of DVDs then they will usually make a sequel, even if only straight to DVD.

Just saw the movie last night, and even having not seen or known anything about "Firefly", I thought it was an excellent film. Will likely see it again this weekend.

Loved the "Big government bad, guns good" message as well.

Just saw the movie last night, and even having not seen or known anything about "Firefly", I thought it was an excellent film.

That's the comment I've been waiting for. It was impossible for me to watch it "clean." I got the chills in the beginning, when the camera panned back off the "Serenity" on the side of the ship, the ship maneuvered for a bit, then cruised off. ;)

There were some good lines in it, but I can't remember any of them now. :( I liked the discussion on the "plan" and the "way." Gotta see it again.

be

Saw it this weekend too but didn't have the advantage of seeing all the TV episodes first. There is some great writing and good acting in this film. Of course, it helps that the actors had a season in the character's skin to get it down completely. I hope it does well enough that there will be theater releases for the sequel/prequels if there are any. It stands alone as a film without the lead up of the episodes to make it complete. My husband hadn't seen any of them and he thought it was an outstanding film. Now I'll have to finish watching the rest so I can fill in the blanks. It's like finding a good book, you just can't get enough of it. The DVD collection arrived last Friday in the mail. I'm looking forward to the unaired episode that SigLady mentioned. I'm thinking I'll be less than useful the next couple of days!

Have the dvd's, watched them before seeing the film, then watched them again afterwards. Outstanding writing and acting.

2nd weekend tailed off by 50%, so box office may be lower than anticipated, but by being released in half as many theaters as a major release, not unexpected. I'm sure DVD sales will tally good, and the market outside America is doing well.

If no sequel develops (and there are more than enough plot lines laid out for several!), it serves as a fitting finale for Firefly...

Take my love. Take my land.

Take me where I cannot stand.

I don't care, I'm still free.

You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black.

Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Burn the land And boil the sea.

You can't take the sky from me.

Have no place I can be since I found Serenity.

But you can't take the sky from me.

Well box office is bad news so far. 10.1 the first week. 4.5 the second. So ifyou want to see it on the big screen, get there ASAP, because it's at number 8 and there are two new wide releases out Friday. It's per screen isn't bad, so in larger multiplexes might survive till the 21st. Then doom hits plus two more flicks, so it'll definitely be gone by then without a major uptick in BO.

On the up side, at $14.95 a pop, it only has to ship about 2 million DVDs to pay for itself. Depending on which article you read, that ranges from about 10x the firefly units sold to about 1/2 the firefly units sold. So who knows.