Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 10 rd 9mm mag's

I have Tripp and Wilson etms. Much prefer the tripps. Easily reloadable with 10 rounds. The wilsons are too tight for me, I use them as the first mag only otherwise I find myself failing to seat reloads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shooterDrew

I heard a rumor (marketing BS?) that Wilson came out with a new revision of the ETM mags what is supposed to seat to be easier than their old mags. I used to clip a coil off my ETM mag springs so they would be reloadable in my Trojan until I found the Dawson/Metalform mags. The Dawson/Metalform mags have longer tubes than my ETMs and work well out of the box.

Someone gave me a Tripp mag but I wasn't impressed. The mag lips were too wide and the follower would almost pop out when dropped on a hard floor.

I vote Dawson/Metalform.

I have tried them all. Currently using the new McCormick 10 rounders. Full disclosure.....I did remove one coil from each magazine spring to ensue the mags seat when loaded with 10 rounds. The mags have been 100 percent reliable in two Dan Wessons and one STI Lawman.

I found that a few times with my Wilson ETM's and decided to go Tripp. I t was happening at the most inopportune times so it frustrated the bejesus out of me and spent the $ on the new ones.

For my Trojan 9mm I ran Dawson 10 rd. mags for a couple of years but would get a nosedive jam after a reload from slidelock at the worst times . It would run flawlessly for two or three stages then I'd get a nosedive. I ended up keeping the Trojan at home and started shooting my Eagle . I preferred shooting the Trojan and when Chip McCormick announced there new XP 9mm 10 rd magazine I bought three of the XP mags to try and haven't had the first jam or failure to go to slidelock since switching to them . So, my vote would be for the CM XP magazines.

Dawson Precision 10 round mags with competition base pads are the way to go. I had nothing but problems with the Tripp Research 9mm mags. Called and talked to Virgil and Aaron at Tripp Research and was told to send back my Tripp Research mags for a full money back refund and to buy Dawson Precision mags.

I'm running both factory Rock Island 10rd 9mm mags and Tripp 10rd mags for single stack.

Last match, my Tripp mag would not drop during the classifier and I had to rip it out to get the reload done. Took what would have been a A run to a C run. The issue was the top round in the mag had moved forward enough that the nose caught on the frame.

Doing some testing, research and a quick conversation with Aaron @ Tripp, mags with a high front ledge won't let the 2nd round move forward enough to catch the frame and will drop free every time, but they *may* have feeding issues since the round may impact the front ledge during feeding.

Mags with a low front opening won't have that particular feeding issue, but the top round may extend past the front of the mag.

I don't usually have the top round too far forward issue with either mag type if there are less than about 3 rounds in the mag.

So, I'm glad I have mags that fit into both of those styles. I'm gonna start using the high ledge RIA factory mags for classifiers where a problem during the reload can ruin the stage and use the large opening Tripp mags during field courses.

Hopefully it turns out to be a good strategy! [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

For my Trojan 9mm I ran Dawson 10 rd. mags for a couple of years but would get a nosedive jam after a reload from slidelock at the worst times . It would run flawlessly for two or three stages then I'd get a nosedive. I ended up keeping the Trojan at home and started shooting my Eagle . I preferred shooting the Trojan and when Chip McCormick announced there new XP 9mm 10 rd magazine I bought three of the XP mags to try and haven't had the first jam or failure to go to slidelock since switching to them . So, my vote would be for the CM XP magazines.

Well I started bragging about my CM XP mags too soon.....had a nosedive jam during a match Saturday that cost me . The spring was still pretty stiff in the mag that I was using when I had the nosedive so after the match I loaded 10 rounds in that mag and am going to leave it loaded for awhile.

Tripp mags have functioned the best in my CQB. And I agree with shooterDrew a few replies up, they are easier to load (than the Wilson mags) into a gun with the slide closed. Can't comment on the 'newer' ETM Wilson mags though.